Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bucket list challenge

(28 Posts)
borisinajohnson Mon 06-Aug-18 11:24:45

Who’s in? The Idea is to have a thread where we can commit to achieving a few goals/bucket list type things over the next 12 months. We can support each other, feedback on how things have gone and maybe even join up to achieve a few things together. But there no rules or anything. Just encouragement! And anything goes - it doesn’t have to be all about bungee jumping and sky diving! It might be about cooking or perfecting a certain recipe, reading a book, learning a language, or an instrument, memorising the phonetic alphabet! Anything you fancy having a go at or mastering over the next year. You might have a list of 100 things, or just one! Just post them up and let’s get started!

So, my own challenge is to do 12 things over the next 12 months. I’m just sat in the garden pondering....

MrsJonesAndMe Mon 06-Aug-18 12:29:51

I'm aiming to finish my first ever Woolly hugs blanket for Christmas...

Have you come up with anything?

Aprilshowersinaugust Mon 06-Aug-18 12:32:52

I aim to have read some of the books I own but have never read -
Including finishing the one I started on holiday 5 YEARS AGO!!.

LittleDoritt Mon 06-Aug-18 12:36:08

I want to swim in the sea with my daughter this summer. I always chicken out at knee level because its just so cold!

borisinajohnson Mon 06-Aug-18 12:42:37

Mrs j I’m still pondering 🤔

little dorrit the sea is lovely and warm at the moment! Go do it!!

borisinajohnson Mon 06-Aug-18 12:44:11

I end up coming up with lists of things I should do. But the point of this is to be enjoyable and or challenging really. So I’ve just crossed out declutter and decorate. They’re now on a to do list, NOT my bucket list!

borisinajohnson Mon 06-Aug-18 12:48:43

Although if anyone else wants to add declutter and decorate - go ahead and add it! It has to be personal. For me these are the things I would kick myself for not doing/seeing/trying if I suddenly learned my time was up.

borisinajohnson Mon 06-Aug-18 13:51:33

so, these (I hope) are achievable within the next 12 months, are, aside from childcare, not reliant on anyone else in order for me to achieve them. In no particular order (4 more to add!):

1. Try paddle boarding
2. Try wake boarding
3. Read 1984
4. Read (and try to understand) A brief history of time
5. Try horse riding
6. Sign up for evening class in silver jewellery making
7. Make a pavlova
8. Visit a European city I haven’t been to (have a list i would love to visit - Paris, Vienna, Budapest, loads actually!! Be great to tick one off).

MrsJonesAndMe Mon 06-Aug-18 15:49:18

Pavlova is easy! Especially nice if you can get to a fruit picking place and put the fruit of your labour on it!

borisinajohnson Tue 07-Aug-18 11:59:58

It’s just one of those things I’ve never bothered to make but they always look amazing don’t they?! So I’ve committed to actually making one!

MrsJonesAndMe Tue 07-Aug-18 19:07:02

I eagerly anticipate my invite wink

borisinajohnson Tue 07-Aug-18 19:45:53

MrsJ If you’re local to me, you’d be welcome to come and have a piece! I’ll upload a photo too! You got anything planned besides your blanket?

GandolfBold Tue 07-Aug-18 20:47:46

I'm in! Have just had my birthday so have been thinking similar for ideas for the next 12months.

Will be back with ideas later.

borisinajohnson Tue 07-Aug-18 21:07:08

Welcome gandolf!

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 08-Aug-18 11:07:05

I have 2 weeks with my long haul parents as of today
I'm going to meet up with the Woolly Hugs Ladies in September

And I have to sort my eating and finances not so much fun

borisinajohnson Wed 08-Aug-18 11:25:04

mrsj any fun ones that make you feel excited??

What do you need to do re your eating? If it’s losing fat, have you looked at TeamRH Fitness? You can find them on Facebook, they are amazing!!! I’m on it but been slack of late!

Kapalika Wed 08-Aug-18 11:25:40

1 visit the Bahamas
2 visit Krakow
3 still thinking...

There are loads more, but leaning towards getting things done, like decluttering.

maskingtape Wed 08-Aug-18 11:29:48

Kapalika - Krakow is lovely.

borisinajohnson Wed 08-Aug-18 11:30:20

I think it’s so easy to think of the things we should do or should want to do.

This might be triggering, about death sorry if it is.... I can’t think of a better way of phrasing it- imagine you have a week to live - you have a week left on planet earth. What things/places/people do you want to do/see/be with?

Do you care about your weight? Or that report you’re working on at work? Or the amount left in your bank (as long as it won’t affect your loved ones)? What DO you care about at this point? What do you wish you’d had a go at? Or visited?

Allthegoodusernamesaregonesad Wed 08-Aug-18 11:33:01

Can I join too please. I have a sewing machine... Gathering dust and I'd learn how to use it and make a patchwork quilt.

borisinajohnson Wed 08-Aug-18 11:34:36

This says it better! Although for me, it’s fine if your bucket list is all quite simple stuff. We don’t all want to skydive and that’s fine. I’m happy with my pavlova!

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rd.com/health/wellness/from-to-do-list-to-bucket-list/amp/

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 08-Aug-18 15:49:58

I'm very excited to see my family as it's been a long time. We've got lots of things planned.

I need to improve diet for health not weight and finances so I can go show my children where I grew up - that is on the bucket list.

I'd also like to get out and see a concert - were meant to go with DH earlier this year, but our babysitter got snowed in sad

MrsJonesAndMe Wed 08-Aug-18 15:58:22

proper win the lottery type things would be to move, go on exotic holidays, have another child....

don't play the lottery grin

GandolfBold Fri 10-Aug-18 08:30:57

Have been thinking long and hard a out mine. Over the next 12months I would like to.

Work hard on my Psychology Course and pass so that I can start a BSc

Run a marathon

Pass my manual driving test (already passed in an automatic but if I pass in a manual it would be better for work.

Save as much as I can in my savings account. I am not a natural saver and I really want this to change.

borisinajohnson Sat 11-Aug-18 17:41:43

Well, I have kind of made some progress.

•1984 downloaded as an audio book
•Paddle board course booked for next week!
•Trip to Seville planned for October
•Found a few jewekrybcourses, just need to decide which to book
•Bought a copy of s brief history of time - saw it in a charity shop (a sign?!)
• Found a stables that offer adult ride my lessons

New ones:

9. Do a big cat feeding/zoo keeper day at a zoo (saving/eBaying to surprise DH with this as an anniversary present at the end of the year)
10. Learn sign language? Not sure
11.Ride in a hot air balloon?? Not sure
12.volunteer in some capacity with animals (I think I’ve found something I’d like to do but I need to investigate)
13. (An extra one!?) see an opera??

So, anyone got any suggestions for operas?!?

Anyone been in a hot air balloon? It’s not something I’m itching to do, but I always stop and watch them whenever I see them.... maybe I need to go to balloon festival instead... so I can watch!

I have a HUGE list of places I’d like to visit but that’s probably for retirement. Bora Bora is the top of my list. I was due to volunteer for a month in the Seychelles this year but for family reasons I had to cancel. I’m still a bit gutted and it’s no longer open to me so I’m still yearning for an adventure...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: