Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Emetophobia and holiday to Thailand

(16 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 05-Aug-18 10:22:54

I have emetophobia and we are going on holiday to Thailand. We are leaving this evening and even though I was looking forward to it, I'm suddenly feeling very anxious.

Dd has friend from Malaysia and she has been telling dd what she can and can't eat. Apparently you should only eat packaged ice creams, not sold by the scoop.

Of course we will do all the usual thing - only bottled water, no ice etc. How bad is Thailand for getting a bad tummy? I had a bad experience in Sri Lanka years ago so feeling anxious.

Johnnycomelately1 Sun 05-Aug-18 10:30:56

Impossible to say. People will swear they got sick eating at the Intercontinental in Bangkok and then someone will be along to say they slept in a gutter in Pataya for a year, drinking out of puddles, and were fine. Anecdotally, I go there a lot (we live in Asia so Thailand is our shorthaul beach destination), I've never been sick there, but I also go to India a lot and have never been sick there either, despite not being super careful (I take ice in drinks and brush my teeth in tap water). However, a lot of hotels and villas now have their own filter systems for tap water to avoid plastic waste so it's less of an issue than it was. .

PJBanana Sun 05-Aug-18 10:34:31

Me and DP spent a month in Thailand earlier this year. Bangkok, Krabi and Chiang Mai. We were fine.

In my experience of Asia (we’ve spent a lot of time there), we’ve rarely been ill and when we have, it’s been more diarrhoea than vomiting to be honest (sorry for TMI)!

Stay hydrated, drink only bottled water, avoid salads, avoid meat from street food stalls, and don’t drink too much alcohol.

Chances are you’ll be absolutely fine smile have an amazing time. We are head over heels in love with Thailand. Wonderful food, beaches and people.

Dancergirl Sun 05-Aug-18 10:36:38

Thank you smile

Is it better to avoid meat altogether? I'm pretty sure it was the meat that made me ill in Sri Lanka.

PJBanana Sun 05-Aug-18 10:39:12

In decent restaurants you should be fine to eat meat (TripAdvisor is your friend for finding good quality restaurants)!

I would definitely avoid meat from street food stalls though, as it is often sitting out for hours.

specialsubject Sun 05-Aug-18 10:46:26

eat what is freshly cooked in front of you or is sealed. careful with posh hotel buffets, food gets left out.

stay off mopeds, cover up from the sun and wear deet 24/7. also learn local manners and treat religious symbols and portraits of royalty with respect.

hellokittymania Sun 05-Aug-18 10:52:28

Hi, I have lived in southeast Asia for quite a number of years, and to reassure you, I have only had extremely bad food poisoning one time. I am very small, I weigh about 36 kg, so I try very hard to avoid getting sick. The year I did get sick I dropped to 32 kg and it took me quite a while to get well. And street food is fine, just pick a place where there are many people and the food is turning over quickly. If you want ice cream, just find one of the ice cream chains like swensen. In Thailand, most of the shopping malls have food courts as well and a lot of people like to eat in there.

Dancergirl Sun 05-Aug-18 11:01:42

Thank you. This is probably a stupid question - is it ok to use tap water for brushing teeth? In Sri Lanka they advised bottled water for this.

Johnnycomelately1 Sun 05-Aug-18 11:45:06

If you're being super careful I probably wouldn't.

French2019 Sun 05-Aug-18 11:51:07

Many years ago, I remember an elderly expat in South East Asia telling me it was fine to brush your teeth in the tap water as long as you remembered to spit well!grin

I have stuck by that advice for years and haven't ever got sick. Like another poster, I've never been sick in Thailand, but haven't ever been sick in India either, where lots of people do have problems. I think it definitely helps that I don't eat meat. I'm also careful about ice cream, bottled water, ice and salad.

Have a fabulous holiday!

timetomoveon Sun 05-Aug-18 11:51:17

I live in Thailand and I would say diarrhea is more likely than vomiting.
Like the others say, bottled water. Ice if it’s got a hole in it.
I use tap water to brush my teeth (but I don’t swallow the water), my husband prefers to use bottled water.
Ice cream - if you’re being careful the. Stick to the packaged ice cream but it should be fine. And like hello kitty says, enjoy the street food but go somewhere where there is a good turnover and where Thai people are eating.
Have a wonderful time - this country is fabulous!

Dancergirl Sun 05-Aug-18 15:25:48

Thank you. I am excited, don't want the worry to spoil it. Plus I need to balance protecting my dc and not being too paranoid and passing my fear onto them.

time what do you mean by ice with a hole in it?

Dancergirl Mon 06-Aug-18 15:54:36

Just one more question - should I also avoid iced coffees etc from places like Starbucks?

specialsubject Mon 06-Aug-18 16:11:35

As I recall ice cubes with holes indicate commercial hygienic production so safe to use in drinks.

timetomoveon Sat 11-Aug-18 05:49:09

Ice coffee from Starbucks will be fine.
As specials said, it’s safe to drink. The ice cube looks like a cylinder and has a cylindrical hole through the middle.

I guess you’re already here now. Hope you’re having fun!

Dancergirl Mon 20-Aug-18 09:03:16

We are back and had a fab time! No tummy trouble at all smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: