Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Day trip from London by train - inspiration!

(57 Posts)
ilovecrumpets Fri 03-Aug-18 09:32:53

Hi everyone

I unexpectedly have the kids next week (boys 6 and 3 1/2) and looking for some inspiration for a day trip out on London by train. Any ideas would be most welcome! It’s just me so ideally something with not too many changes.

PanPanPanPing Fri 03-Aug-18 09:39:40

Well, the world's your lobster really grin

Which London terminus is the easiest one for you to get to, then we can narrow it down a bit?

amymel2016 Fri 03-Aug-18 09:42:12

Is this going from London to somewhere else?

If so, there’s a direct train to Birmingham where you can change for Stratford Upon Avon? Loads of stuff for the kids to do and the train station at Stratford is in the centre of town. There’s all the Shakespeare things but also a butterfly farm, rowing on the Avon, museums etc xx

ClaudiaWankleman Fri 03-Aug-18 09:47:29

Colchester castle/ zoo? Both quite fun days out, although possibly the zoo would be uncomfortable in high heat.

CharlieAustinsMagicHat Fri 03-Aug-18 09:54:01

The Science Museum or Natural History Museum followed by some playtime in Hyde Park.

Seeline Fri 03-Aug-18 09:58:01

Amberley Chalk Pit museum - the station is right next door.

www.amberleymuseum.co.uk/

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

ilovecrumpets Fri 03-Aug-18 10:00:34

Thanks all - yes outside of London ( as we have done most of the London stuff a lot and it’s going to be so hot!).

I’m sw so Waterloo/Victoria are probably easiest but kings x not impossible.

Hadn’t thought of Stratford or Portsmouth.

Yes I think the problem is too much choice grin

ilovecrumpets Fri 03-Aug-18 10:01:44

Ooh the amberley museum would be rightnuo their street!

katcatkat Fri 03-Aug-18 10:04:01

Margate the station is right on the beach and you have dreamland next door too.

BertrandRussell Fri 03-Aug-18 10:04:11

Whitstable or Broadstairs?

It's a bit of a walk from the station to the beach so with little ones I would get a taxi back. But a grand day out!

Seeline Fri 03-Aug-18 10:04:21

Haven't been for about 10 years so I hope it's still as good, but my DCs used to love it.

beemail Fri 03-Aug-18 10:06:33

Hastings - train from Ch Cr, Waterloo East or London Bridge. Lots to do including new pier, beach, lovely old area and huge Alexandra Park. Check shildrens activities
Tonbridge - castle and huge park which leads into country park. Swimming pool which is both indoor and outdoor
Whitstable
Broadstairs - folk festival - lots for children to do
Brighton - beach and shady lanes

ilovecrumpets Fri 03-Aug-18 10:07:13

Is it next to arundel station *@Seeline*?

I was considering Whistabke or Broadstairs @BertrandRussell silly question as I know there is a beach, but is there enough for kids to do there ( didn’t know if Whitstable was better for grown ups?)

ilovecrumpets Fri 03-Aug-18 10:07:59

Thanks everyone - these are all so helpful and lots look great!

PanPanPanPing Fri 03-Aug-18 10:10:56

How about the Bluebell Railway. Train from Victoria to East Grinstead where, apparently, you can join the Bluebell Railway www.bluebell-railway.com/visiting-the-railway/how-to-get-here/

Seeline Fri 03-Aug-18 10:15:40

ilove -no actual Amberley Station. It's on the Arundel line from Victoria - you need the stopping train though.

leighdinglady Fri 03-Aug-18 10:26:46

Victoria to Brighton

Leesa65 Fri 03-Aug-18 11:02:39

Margate (and Dreamland. £15 per wrist band, I know this as I am planning to go there) and a large sandy beach

Upnor Castle near Rochester is lovely, lots of things to look at, a lovely bit of ground and a tea room . Also a pretty little town/village . Views over the Medway and a tree that looks like it came straight from Harry Potter world

Brighton , Hastings ..

Lots of other choices too OP. Whatever you decide have a good day.

formerbabe Fri 03-Aug-18 11:08:10

I was going to suggest Broadstairs too. My dc are always bored witless by Whitstable...but they love Broadstairs.

Mhw02 Fri 03-Aug-18 11:08:25

I did a day trip to Paris once when I was living in London. If you can get cheap Eurostar tickets that could actually be a not completely ridiculous idea...

Or more sensibly...Hampton Court is lovely.

FruitOnAPlatter Fri 03-Aug-18 11:22:44

Leeds Castle. Easy from Victoria on the Canterbury West train.

Cedar03 Fri 03-Aug-18 11:33:35

Look at the length of time for the trains to some of these places. Hastings is at least an hour and a half from London (depending on the train you catch). And Margate is over 2 hours from Waterloo. They might be a bit far for your 3 year old. Although for some children the train ride is the highlight of any journey!

Hampton Court is lovely and has plenty for young children to do.

MouseholeCat Fri 03-Aug-18 12:11:21

We had a great day trip to Dover once- went to the castle and the war tunnels (loved both!), then a walk on the cliffs.

Leesa65 Fri 03-Aug-18 12:32:43

If OP can go from Victoria the coast train goes directly to any of those mentioned , and also Herne Bay.
I get on at Bromley South to go to the coast and the train has come from Victoria.

WillowRose79 Fri 03-Aug-18 12:35:20

Brighton!!!!!! 1 hour on the train and is an amazing place! With beaches too so a lot different to London!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: