Talk

Advanced search

Wedding whilst renting

(27 Posts)
Kay212 Sat 21-Jul-18 20:57:58

What's people's thoughts on getting married whilst living in a home that isn't your own? Is a mortgage more important than marriage?

CaseStudyResearch Sat 21-Jul-18 21:29:04

I could easily afford to get married, but could not afford a house.

Not everyone spends 20-25k on a wedding.

Plus I wanted to have the safety net of being married before we enter into a contract where we owe hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Intheprimeoflime Sat 21-Jul-18 21:30:33

We married while renting. It didn't occur to me not to, we had been trying to buy a house for years but couldn't get a mortgage. We finally bought a house 2 years later!

MyNameIsNotSteven Sat 21-Jul-18 21:32:08

Might be good to have the financial protection of marriage before buying.

LilKi Sun 22-Jul-18 11:34:38

Thanks for the messages! Totally agree! Having a lot of snobbery about having a wedding and not having a house! X

Raven88 Sun 22-Jul-18 11:39:21

I don't ever plan to buy a house so we rented whilst getting married.

MoreProsecco Sun 22-Jul-18 16:27:41

Nowadays, with average weddings costing so much & home despite being so high, I expect many FTB's are having to choose between these, as together it's unaffordable for both.

My personal view is that a deposit is a better use of money. You have nothing to show for it with a wedding, beyond some photos.

Of course there's the "princess for a day" crew, who will say that a wedding is "making memories" etc, but others (like me) feel it's an obscene waste of money.

YearOfYouRemember Sun 22-Jul-18 16:29:32

Yes because a wedding is meaningless hmm.

Legal protection that is banged on about on here …

MoreProsecco Sun 22-Jul-18 16:33:24

It depends on whether you mean a wedding or a marriage.

A wedding you can do for £200 or £20K.

If you don't have a house deposit, I think it's crazy to spend £20K on a wedding instead of that.

DieAntword Sun 22-Jul-18 17:01:14

I got married while renting. Even more shocking we had kids while renting. If I waited till I could afford a house I wouldn’t have had many fertile years left (and I wasn’t having kids without getting married first!)

DieAntword Sun 22-Jul-18 17:02:27

Oh and our wedding and honeymoon was about 7k in total. Not as cheap as some of course but most of that was the honeymoon and it was my first and only expensive holiday in my life.

thedevilinablackdress Sun 22-Jul-18 17:04:17

I spent about £200 on my wedding, so it depends if you want to be married or if you want to be married and have the big £££ party.

ImAGoofyGoober Sun 22-Jul-18 17:05:10

I think it would be a ridiculous waste of money to have a fancy wedding instead of putting the deposit down on a house.

LordEmsworth Sun 22-Jul-18 17:10:06

Really? It's only in the last generation that home owners have outnumbered renters, until about 1970 renters were the majority. People still got married. Even now a third of households live in rented homes, I bet they don't (all) think of it as "a home that isn't their own".

Timeforcalm Sun 22-Jul-18 17:18:06

I was 13 weeks pregnant with our first when my DH and I got married. It wasn’t a big do - only his family came (mine couldn’t be bothered) and we had a sit down meal afterwards and a few drinks (well, everyone else did! I was designated driver!)
We were saving for a house deposit and managed to buy just less than a year later while I was on maternity leave.

Alwayscommuting Sun 22-Jul-18 17:22:50

Married in 2014 bought our house in 2016. Worked just fine for us, we actually got married first but that was because we didn't actually think we would ever be able to buy.

happymummy12345 Sun 22-Jul-18 17:25:10

I lived in a student flat when we got married and conceived our baby. We could not afford a house, still can't. But we are married and have a toddler so.

Racecardriver Sun 22-Jul-18 17:28:58

I would marry before buying a house. Why make that finacial commitment without a legal Commitment?

IsTheRainEverComingBack Sun 22-Jul-18 17:29:56

Namechange fail?

We’d need a £150k deposit to buy the house we rent... if we waited to do the house before marrying we’d never marry.

Also I think it’s surely better to marry and then buy a house?

Gettingbackonmyfeet Sun 22-Jul-18 17:33:13

Another here that married before buying

I find the assumption that the be all and end all I've seen on mumsnet that owning a house is vital really odd

Of course I want to own but no way was I going to put my life on hold until then

But again I had a cheap wedding too...barely hit 5 k

borlottibeans Sun 22-Jul-18 17:40:32

If you live in it it IS your home, never mind who owns the bricks and mortar.

I think it's really sad that anyone would think marriage is only for the financially comfortable (and in the SE, the outright wealthy!)

If you're saying you have eg £20k and are wondering if that should pay for a massive wedding or a house deposit, I'd say the deposit. But if you're just not at the stage of your life yet where you're able to get a mortgage I don't see why on earth that means you can't be married.

I would say this, of course, because I got married earlier this year from my rented house. We did it cheaply and it hasn't affected our ability to get a mortgage, which we are now doing.

BackforGood Sun 22-Jul-18 17:46:03

I think you might have to give us more details.
Like many other posters, I think anyone who spent £20k or more on a 'wedding day' when they were struggling to buy their own home was daft had different priorities from me, but that doesn't mean people who can't afford to buy their own home shouldn't get married.
I'd need more info before agreeing or disagreeing with those judging you wink

MrsICantSayMyName Sun 22-Jul-18 17:46:56

It doesn't matter.

DBoo Sun 22-Jul-18 17:51:12

Dp and i are planning our wedding whilst renting but it's a cheap one. I couldn't spend 10k+ on a wedding whilst renting knowing that is a deposit or a hefty chunk towards one.

I am a hypocrite though as i have children and rent but there's more time constraints on that unfortunately.

Rebecca36 Sun 22-Jul-18 18:03:54

No! It's good to start off married life without having to do house maintenance. Spoken by someone who did buy a house and marry. I hated things being done to the house, or started and abandoned, by husband. Bless him, he was so enthusiastic. That's a long time ago now - but you can be happy without too many responsibilities for a while.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »