Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What about those who can’t afford to stockpile?

(577 Posts)
CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 20:51:12

After reading about the tips the govt will be giving us in the event of a hard brexit and one of those likely being to stockpile food, medicine etc I was wondering what would happen to those who just can’t afford to?
Yes a few tins is maybe an extra £1 a week but what about those that don’t have that to spare, or don’t have the space to store it? Will foodbanks take this in account? If they can’t afford to stockpile they probably won’t be able to cope with massively rising prices either even if it’s just short term.

CloudCaptain Sat 21-Jul-18 20:54:11

What are we stockpiling for? What should we be stockpiling? Seems like a counter intuitive strategy from the government. Everyone panic and empty the shops! confused

PlowerOfScotland Sat 21-Jul-18 20:54:14

We'll starve or rely on charity.

CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 20:59:50

I think it’s in case they can’t get any food imports through @Cloud. The cynic in me thinks they’re introducing the idea now in the hope people will stockpile slowly instead of panic buy come March.

ICanOnlyLaugh Sat 21-Jul-18 21:00:56

I think so too coriander.

Ariela Sat 21-Jul-18 21:01:04

Grow it in the garden? Stockpile seed perhaps?

CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 21:03:20

@Plower I really hope that it doesn’t come to that - we can just about afford a few extra bits per week come September but have nowhere to store it.

Somerville Sat 21-Jul-18 21:05:29

A local foodbank put out an SOS this week which was worded differently to their other occasional pleas. I'm sure it's linked to Brexit - they need to make sure they're well-stocked ready for when prices rise/stock is scarce, which will lead to a double whammy of people find donating to them harder, and more referrals of families in need. sad
the timing of Brexit will unfortunately also co-incide, in a neighbouring area, with the roll-out of Universal credit. I'm particularly worried for those who end up in that situation.

VioletCharlotte Sat 21-Jul-18 21:05:50

I'm really concerned about the impact this will have on people who are already struggling. A sharp rise in prices will mean less people will be able to donate to food banks.

CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 21:10:17

I’m scared for us trying to cope but thanks to family I know we will not starve. My heart is already breaking for those without that support though and I don’t want to think that the govt will just let them flounder but all signs point to that being the case.

vandrew4 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:15:14

like fuck will the govt. tell us to stockpile food. what a ridiculous suggestion. Just have a little think of the implications of that and think will they actually issue that advice ( i'll give you a clue; no they won't)

Armi Sat 21-Jul-18 21:16:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 21:22:07

@vandrew seeing as the govt themselves are making plans to stockpile food I don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility that they might give us the heads up to do the same. Although maybe they won’t as they clearly don’t give a shiny fuck about us otherwise we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Somerville Sat 21-Jul-18 21:22:28

vandrew4 I take it you missed John Manzoni (chief executive of the civil service) telling a select committee on Thursday that a breakdown between the UK and the EU will see “horrendous consequences” that the UK is not yet ready to cope with? Off the back of this, the government has said they'll start releasing advice to 'businesses and households' on what to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.
Now, on one hand I think this is brinkmanship, to somehow help prove to the EU that they will walk away without a deal. On the other hand, I think they genuinely will walk away without a deal, in which case we'll all need to have followed their advice. I'm sure there will be no sympathy from this government towards those too infirm or poor to 'prepare'.

vandrew4 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:24:01

coriander the government has always stockpiled food. we don't just get supplies on a day to day basis and hope there's never a supply issue.

MyHairIsMessy Sat 21-Jul-18 21:24:43

Everyone will have their own ark, go to the food bank ark or take what they want.

What a shower of white this government is, they have had two years to sort this.

MyHairIsMessy Sat 21-Jul-18 21:25:10

shite

Toit99 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:29:47

No Deal Brexit simply means people will die. Lack of food, medicines, hospitals will have to close. Also, riots. It's as simple as that.

People don't want to believe that we would inflict such harm upon ourselves, but look at the wreckers who constantly call for it. The utter incompetence of our govt could easily lead us to this route out of the EU.

All forms of Brexit are harmful to our country (see govt own reports), whether you want to face it or not. It is something we are CHOOSING to do to ourselves. We are actively choosing a worse standard of living. Absolute madness. And yes, I'm very sorry to say that the poorest amongst us will suffer the most. It's a shameful disgrace.

User183737 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:33:00

Ugh. This again. Get a grip. We are a developed country. Nobody will starve confused

OddBoots Sat 21-Jul-18 21:35:21

If they send the leaflets in August and September that they are talking about that include the stockpiling advice then I really hope they will be looking into giving the NHS an extra budget to stockpile the essential medications too otherwise it will be a complete disaster on that front.

CorianderDestroysFamilies Sat 21-Jul-18 21:36:30

@Toit you’re right, when it comes down to it people will die who without brexit would not have. It’s a main reason why we stopped TTC and are unlikely to ever have another DC because I don’t want to bring them into a this shitshow.

vandrew4 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:36:57

No Deal Brexit simply means people will die. Lack of food, medicines, hospitals will have to close. Also, riots. It's as simple as that you'll look back on this in 10 years time and feel embarassed

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:37:37

There is no point stockpiling food unless you also have a gun because someone stronger than you will take your stock.

Graphista Sat 21-Jul-18 21:39:22

I almost started a similar thread.

I'm disabled, on benefits, in a tiny flat, no garden - how the fuck am I meant to prep?

The meds issue worries me most. I'm on psych meds that it's dangerous to stop suddenly (not just psychologically dangerous but physically too) plus dd and I asthmatic.

"the timing of Brexit will unfortunately also co-incide, in a neighbouring area, with the roll-out of Universal credit" same here - yet no sign of suspending UC rollout until the brexit crap evens out!

Vandrew - several MP's have confirmed on several tv shows inc iirc question time, the leaflet currently under design does (I believe working title is 'cautionary advice to businesses and households') indeed advise stocking up among other things. They've already confirmed they've started planning/doing so themselves.

I believe it's also planned to contain advice on dealing with restricted power supply etc (can't help but think of all those who repeatedly cite the power shortages, 3 day week etc as how we're SO much better under the tories - although brexit is a multi party fuck up - fact is tories are meant to be in charge).

Anna soubry was talking about it on last leg (she also said Jacob Rees-Mogg is now running the country). Hosts queried if she was joking and was putting herself in a position to get in trouble, to which she basically said how can she get in trouble for saying the truth?

bellinisurge Sat 21-Jul-18 21:44:06

I'm a prepper and have posted on a lot of these threads. Keep it simple- get some budget vitamins in. Breakfast cereals are fortified. Even the cheap ones. Look at adding a tin of veg and or chicken type meal with every shop. Economy ones are fine.
If you can, take a look at Prepper Princess on YouTube. Although she's US, She's all about budgeting - "do what you can with what you've got"
In my opinion, those that can afford to put extra by should prep to make sure any government help goes to those who need it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: