Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How often do you change your mumsnet name?

(68 Posts)
jalady385 Thu 19-Jul-18 21:42:40

I do probably every couple of weeks. I would like to keep the same username as I often hear how MNs often become friends and keep in contact. But im too concerned people will think I have lost the plot with my latest worry/drama that is completely unconnected to my last post blush
Is this just me?

cheaperthebetter Thu 19-Jul-18 21:47:32

Nope!...me too..grin...lol
I have I think about 4 usernames so far...omg my first ever post on MN I was shocked at how nasty people can be on here!...confused...but then you get the really nice and reasonable ones...smile...which keeps me on here...as I don't have FB or INSTA...I really love MN it really makes be giggle...🤣...

cheaperthebetter Thu 19-Jul-18 21:48:25

Oh sorry I've been on here for about 2 months now so still a newbie lol...blush

DoubleNegativePanda Thu 19-Jul-18 21:52:15

I've had the same name for the last seven or eight years. Occasionally I'll change for a purpose but I always come back to Panda. Before Panda, I changed around a little bit. I don't see the point in changing a lot. I'm far from the UK and the chances of being outed are extremely slim.

Matutinal Thu 19-Jul-18 22:28:55

Every week or so.

IVEgotthePOWER Thu 19-Jul-18 22:30:23

When i feel like i have been over sharing!

SneakyGremlins Thu 19-Jul-18 22:31:13

Never! This is my brand.

Ohyesiam Thu 19-Jul-18 22:32:01

Never. How do you name change?

Ohyesiam Thu 19-Jul-18 22:32:30

If it involves knowing my password, I’m fucked.

RoseyOldCrow Thu 19-Jul-18 22:34:06

Different names for different subjects, mostly. From the same account though, in case I'm ever accused of being a troll!

SillySillySausage Thu 19-Jul-18 22:36:07

I change every couple of weeks

Passonthemessage Thu 19-Jul-18 22:37:53

When I say something that I think might be identifying and/or every month.

OnThisHill Thu 19-Jul-18 22:39:52

I've changed mine a few times for various reasons. (None malicious). How do you go back to previous ones? And yes, there are some mean people on here, but mostly not... I find MN endlessly useful and often hilarious.

MayorHumdinger Thu 19-Jul-18 22:42:09

When I've overshared or I think something is identifying.

We had a family drama a couple of years ago which I sought advice for on here. A friend of a friend messaged to say she'd seen the post, thought it was me, and she was there if I needed to talk... sweet message but I got spooked so now I name change.

DidimusStench Thu 19-Jul-18 22:42:42

Every time the wind changes grin

fussychica Thu 19-Jul-18 22:44:52

Never.

DramaAlpaca Thu 19-Jul-18 22:45:13

I went through a few after I first joined but I've used this one most of the time for the last few years, unless I want to post about something sensitive and/or outing. I would never post about work, for example, under this name.

SmellyNelly2018 Thu 19-Jul-18 22:48:10

It took me ages to work out how to do it. Every few months I change.

PhilomenaFogg Thu 19-Jul-18 22:53:28

I change a lot for fear of outing. Bit like MI5. Looks left hmm looks righthmm

SomethingPhishy Thu 19-Jul-18 22:54:37

Everytime I fall for a Mumsnet phishing scam, so once in 8 years! Im not a prolific poster, mainly lurk.

JustLikeBefore Thu 19-Jul-18 22:56:32

every few weeks, or sometimes I keep it for a month or so.

I've kept a name once, and really enjoyed it, was a prolific poster and was on long running threads. when I did NC I kept some people in the loop, but then I drifted as I NCed more and more.

I've tried running 3 names at a time, so I can keep them constant, but I forget to change and end up replying with the wrong name...

Flisspaps Thu 19-Jul-18 23:12:16

Once in 9 years, but I have a different one for Secret Santa.

Katsu Thu 19-Jul-18 23:14:23

Every couple of months. I mostly post on Chat, where posts will eventually disappear, and if I post on a permanent topic I try to keep things vague or only post on the lighthearted topics like Telly Addicts. If I feel I've overshared or I really want to participate in a discussion that would mean sharing something more personal, I NC for that thread.

I've recognised someone on here just by coming across a few posts of theirs and suddenly it clicked. I've even recognised them once they've NC because they post things that only someone who knows them would know. Since then I've been much more aware of how just a few posts under one name can easily identify you to those who know you.

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Thu 19-Jul-18 23:15:08

What Power said

Will probably dead name this one when Handmaids Tale ends

AmazingPostVoices Thu 19-Jul-18 23:21:57

Pretty regularly.

I’ve been here more than a decade and last time I checked I had around 75 different usernames.

If anyone were able to identify me through something I mention in a post there’s a limit to how much user history they’d be able to access.

It’s beyond me why anyone who doesn’t name change ever responds to those “what car do you drive/job do you do/where do you live/what size are you” threads. They give away far too much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: