Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why can't men train as mammographers?

(108 Posts)
JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 15-Jul-18 20:07:49

Apols as I know we have had a couple of threads on related topics but didn't want to derail them and am curious.

Why do we have male obs gynae consultants, male MWs etc but men cannot do breast ultrasounds?

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Jul-18 20:09:47

Are you absolutely sure about that?

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Jul-18 20:10:18

A mammogram isn’t an ultrasound by the way. It’s s radiological procedure.

Ginmakesitallok Sun 15-Jul-18 20:11:29

Of course they can? Question should be why they don't choose to?

Nicknacky Sun 15-Jul-18 20:11:37

Why wouldn’t they be allowed to train in an medical technique? I have never heard of this but to be fair I’ve never had a mammogram.

Can’t see why men would be banned from it. It’s just a body part.

SittingAround1 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:11:38

Men can do breast ultrasounds.

Cyclewidow46 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:11:56

We have male Radiologists who do Brest ultrasound at our Trust.
Mammographers are those who do breast X-rays, don't think we have any of those.

MarthaArthur Sun 15-Jul-18 20:12:21

What? I'm sure they can? I googled and it came up with other countries men do it.

SittingAround1 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:12:53

I don't know about mammograms though.

Brown76 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:12:56

I had mine done by a man

MarthaArthur Sun 15-Jul-18 20:13:17

If a man is allowed to train to look up vaginas ofc he is allowed to scan breasts?

ErrolTheDragon Sun 15-Jul-18 20:14:21

However, it's the sort of intimate procedure for which a woman should be able to request a female HCP. So while having a male working in a group in a hospital would be ok, I'm not sure whether it'd be ok in the mobile units.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 15-Jul-18 20:16:25

Okay! Lots of other PP on a different thread claiming men cannot do mammograms, ie they are not trained as part of the breast screening service.

Is that not right then?

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Jul-18 20:19:28

www.sor.org/about-radiography/media-centre/press-releases/radiographers-call-breast-screening-be-carried-out-men-well-women

Apparently you are (or at least were) right. Mammography is the only clinical test exclusively performed by women. This was from 2017 so it’s possible that might havd changed, especially with people on the thread saying theirs was done by a man.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 15-Jul-18 20:41:41

Ha! So I am not completely insane grin

Why, though? Even if historically, why no men for breasts but they have always been able to do much more intimate stuff like deliver babies?

Seems weird as a distinction, is all.

juniorcakeoff Sun 15-Jul-18 20:44:29

Bit off topic but when I went to the breast clinic for a lump to be examined the doctor asked if a student could sit in. I ummed and aahed and then the doctor said he was a work experience student - i.e. a random 16 year old boy, not even a med student. Wonder how many people said yes that day...

SittingAround1 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:48:15

Maybe there is more chance of sexual harassment claims with mammograms/breast checks. Dr's are very aware of this problem.

I had a male dr check my books and he had to have a chaperone with him. I was never left alone with a male.

For mammograms they probably don't have the resources to double up staff.

SittingAround1 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:48:38

Boobs not books

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Jul-18 20:53:47

But sitting, male health care professionals do all sorts of other intimate procedures, actually far more intimate than a mammogram, so it doesn’t make sense to single this one out.

Obviously women should be able to request another woman if they’d prefer.

BartholinsSister Sun 15-Jul-18 20:56:16

Presumably someone who has had a bad experience with a female mammographer can request a male one?

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 15-Jul-18 21:08:58

Dunno Bartholins, I guess since last year?

So exactly Purple, seems weird eh? Like I said I am just curious about the historical reasons for this.

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Jul-18 21:09:30

It’s not clear whether there are any male ones yet bartholin. She could request a different one though.

SittingAround1 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:34:54

purple yes I agree, it's just from my experience when I had a breast problem. They constantly had to have a chaperone. It might have been that particular hospital though.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 15-Jul-18 21:40:15

I imagine that it is the chaperoning issue that stops there being more male mammographers - when I had my mammogram, it was just me and the mammographer - if they were male, they’d need an extra member of staff to chaperone, which doesn’t make financial sense.

treaclesoda Sun 15-Jul-18 21:40:48

I might be on my own with this but I couldn't bear to have a man do a mammogram on me, whereas I have been examined by male gynaecologists and obstetricians without a second thought. I find a mammogram much more upsetting and intimate than childbirth or a gynae consultation. For the same reason I wouldn't have wanted a male midwife, but was ok with a male obstetrician.

But if other people are happy with it, then that's fine obviously. I just would want the option of a female for that particular procedure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: