Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Harry Potter - why is the Irish MOM not at the Quidditch World Cup?!?

(93 Posts)
PinkCherryBlossomTree Tue 10-Jul-18 12:52:09

Reading Goblet of Fire with ds, he hates me picking holes but it's really bugging me so I have to let it out here.

Why is the Bulgarian Minister of Magic at the Quidditch World Cup but not the Irish one???

That is all.

TashaYar Tue 10-Jul-18 13:42:03

Well, he is. It’s Fudge. The Ministry of Magic covers Britain and Ireland.

ProfessorMoody Tue 10-Jul-18 13:44:54

It's believed that the Magical Government covers Ireland too, so he was there, as it was Fudge.

RavenWings Tue 10-Jul-18 13:45:18

That always irritated me. Freedom for Irish wizards too! grin

Stephisaur Tue 10-Jul-18 13:53:48

I assumed that Fudge covered Ireland.

If not though, maybe the Irish Minister had a scheduling conflict? ;)

honeybeeq Tue 10-Jul-18 14:19:51

I love these threads!!

Okay so I always thought that Wizarding Ireland is united as there is one Irish team not 2 and Seamus is a pupil at Hogwarts despite living in Ireland.

Also, there is reference to werewolves living in the forbidden forest.. obviously referring to lupin, but what do werewolves do when they're not wolffish? I mean they're only wolves at the full moon? (Greyback is seen never as a wolf only as a man with wolffish traits).. do they just live in communes and then all transform at once?

Where do magical children go to school before Hogwarts? They start at 11.. are they all home schooled?

SadieHH Tue 10-Jul-18 14:21:16

So why do they have their own quidditch team? Absolutely right that they should but it doesn't make sense.

SgtFredColon Tue 10-Jul-18 14:22:59

Omg you are right! Let’s hope the Irish wizards have an uprising.

TashaYar Tue 10-Jul-18 14:22:59

So why do they have their own quidditch team? Absolutely right that they should but it doesn't make sense.

The same reason we have Scotland/Wales/England football teams?

SgtFredColon Tue 10-Jul-18 14:24:11

I want an wizard Taoiseach

bellinisurge Tue 10-Jul-18 14:35:13

A wizard Taoiseach would be cool.
Maybe the Irish MOM was boycotting the event. Or hit turbulence.
And Seamus, as half my classmates in the UK who had Irish accents, can easily go to school in the UK.
Of course, Seamus , if Irish resident rather than a UK resident, would also be an EU citizen.

SgtFredColon Tue 10-Jul-18 15:06:33

I always assumed that due to small numbers in the wizarding community that there was just the one school on the ‘british isles’ and none in Ireland.

SgtFredColon Tue 10-Jul-18 15:06:46

So séamus had to go there.

PinkCherryBlossomTree Tue 10-Jul-18 15:08:28

Werewolves - I always got the impression that they live a wild sort of life, possibly living rough in forested or mountainous areas. I presume they do all transform en masses at full moon. Yikes. No wonder the forest is forbidden.

As an aside they the hell did they change it to the dark forest in the films. Doesn't alliterate, not as good and no conceivable reason to monkey with a good thing. Sigh.

bellinisurge Tue 10-Jul-18 15:10:40

Eoin Colfer would have you believe that the greater number of magical persons per head of population would be in Ireland.

susurration Tue 10-Jul-18 15:13:54

With regards to the Werewolf thing, during Half-Blood Prince Lupin infiltrates the werewolf community and they all seem to live together. Possibly in caves I think? That's why Tonks is so worried about him.

So presumably they're all living together in some sort of truce.

PinkCherryBlossomTree Tue 10-Jul-18 15:15:34

Do werewolves eat each other? I always thought they only ate humans and animals but not other werewolves.

susurration Tue 10-Jul-18 15:16:28

Also with the forbidden forest, I don't think they actually live there. I know Dumbledore is a highly incompetent guardian for the children, but that would be insane! I think the rumour about werewolves in the forest was because of Lupin and friends cavorting about at teenagers.

susurration Tue 10-Jul-18 15:17:26

pinkcherry I don't think so, I think Tonks was worried because it was undercover work and they aren't necessarily pleasant?

ElspethFlashman Tue 10-Jul-18 15:21:27

Given that Hogwarts seemed to be the only school for wizards, they seem to be quite a low population. I mean, how many Scottish or Welsh wizards did we meet?

So I assumed there wasn't enough numbers for a separate Irish school and Irish kids went to Hogwarts. Which was fine by me.

What is not fine by me is the notion that a two different countries would have one representative. That makes zero sense.

I know the MOM acts independently from government but it does have to represent the concerns of their own wizards. As it was, the British MOM was grossly London-centric.

So I'm presuming that the Irish MOM was there but JK Rowling just forgot to mention him.

TashaYar Tue 10-Jul-18 15:49:48

What is not fine by me is the notion that a two different countries would have one representative. That makes zero sense.

Wizard politics are probably different from Muggle politics. In the wizarding world, it could be that Britain and Ireland are unified.

PinkCherryBlossomTree Tue 10-Jul-18 15:55:35

@ElspethFlashman that is the conclusion I've come to and will stick with if any of the dc question in future. Love the books, but I think that lack of Irish MOM is rather crass.

bellinisurge Tue 10-Jul-18 16:01:24

Perhaps the Irish MOM wasn't an entitled-VIP-box-filling-pretending-not-to-speak-English piece of work like the Bulgarian MOM was described as. Perhaps for narrative purposes there was already enough going on without another VIP and their entourage to be included.

ProfessorMoody Tue 10-Jul-18 17:59:11

Where do magical children go to school before Hogwarts? They start at 11.. are they all home schooled

Yes, the wizard children are. The Weasleys for example were home schooled.

Muggleborns would go to Muggle schools as normal. They wouldn't know they were wizards until they got their Hogwarts letter.

Presumably Half bloods would have a choice, but I'd imagine most would home school for fear of a young child unintentionally breaking the secrecy.

HulaMelody Tue 10-Jul-18 18:43:05

And there I was annoyed that Mrs Weasley was stuck at home while the rest of the family got to go!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: