Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

question for owners of barking dogs

(92 Posts)
vandrew4 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:03:02

you know, the ones that bark every friggin time someone walks past.
Does it really annoy you as an owner or do you become immune to it ( although I've lived next door to this particular animal for over a year and it still drives me up the fucking wall)

Oopsy41 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:05:49

I have one of those yappy dogs and it drives me up the wall, she barks at anything and everything. Love her to bits but don't think I'll ever get used to it

vandrew4 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:07:57

oopsy I do the neighbours hear as well and does it make you cringe?

HaroldsSocalledBluetits Mon 25-Jun-18 15:08:42

Do you think your neighbours will ever get used to it, Oopsy? Or is it more a case of not thinking about them at all?

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 25-Jun-18 15:09:01

When we got ddog as a puppy she was bright in every time she barked more than a bark /2.
She doesn't bark in the garden at all (window cleaning day the exception) and ddogs x3 followed suit.
Unlike our neighbours and their yappy bloody ddogs. angry

Errrrrrr Mon 25-Jun-18 15:09:31

Mine often barks when people walk past. I would say i'm 50/50 annoyed vs tuning it out. We live in a detached house miles from anyone though so luckily don't need to worry about the neighbours!

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 25-Jun-18 15:12:28

Mine barks if the door goes. Don’t like the noise at all, but like the security of it. He tends to only bark about three times anyway. I would be mortified if I had a dog that barked all the time and don’t see how anyone could get used to it. Even if you could, I’d feel awful about the neighbours.

vandrew4 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:12:49

april good to hear that. oopsy is there a reason you can't trainyour dog?

SK166 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:14:10

Ours isn't a consistent barker, but he barks seemingly randomly at some people out and about and sometimes at people walking around the garden (communal). I really don't like it! He was totally silent until he was 6 months old and then suddenly picked up this habit that we're now working really hard to try to get a handle on. It's actually really difficult to solve.

I'm mortified when he barks at people because, even though any doggy person can tell it's done from excitement/greeting and never from aggression (he's a massive softie and just wants everyone to play with him), he's got a big, loud bark and to a non-doggy person I can see that it's frightening.
I don't mind him alert-barking when someone comes to the door, but other than that I really want it to stop!

Interestingly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when other people's dogs bark. Just part of life. There are far more irritating noises in day-to-day life, in my opinion.

vandrew4 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:16:33

Interestingly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest when other people's dogs bark
that's probably becuase you're a dog person and it doesn't make you jump every time you hear a big bark

SK166 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:20:11

On the contrary - it often makes me jump, just like any unexpected, loud noise. But it doesn't frighten me, which perhaps is the difference. And it doesn't irritate me.

But then I've found most people have a far lower tolerance for the normal 'irritations' of close-quarter living than I do. The only things that really rile me are incessant loud music and inconsiderate smoking.

mydogmymate Mon 25-Jun-18 15:21:13

I have dogs on either side of me ( I live in a terrace) who bark constantly. My dog used to join in, but he got brought in each time he barked and now he can't be bothered.

The annoying thing is that my neighbours are in at the time, in the living room at the front of the house and the dogs in the garden at the back, but they just ignore it. I have noticed that the dogs are staying in more because the weather is hot, but it'll start again soon confused

Frequency Mon 25-Jun-18 15:22:19

My dog goes through phases of barking when his surroundings changed but soon learns barking makes the fun stop or stops him getting what he wants, depending on why he's barking.

If he's in the garden barking at the neighbours/seagulls/other dogs he gets brought back inside. If he is barking for me, I wait for a lull in the barking so he learns being quiet is what brings me back. I can't tolerate barking dogs. My own dog barking is worse than listening to neighbors dogs unless it's prolonged barking. Prolonged barking just makes me sad. Your dog is distressed, bring it inside you cockwomble.

Littletinyraindrops Mon 25-Jun-18 15:22:19

My neighbours have a dog that seems be stuck in their small back garden most of the day and resorts to barking and barking.

It's not the dogs fault in that instance, it's being ignored consistently, doesn't mean I don't want to go over there and shout at them. They are rough as a bear's arse and would most likely kill me if I did.

A dog that isn't ignored and mistreated will still bark if excited/alarmed/wants attention, it's how they communicate, if it's a couple of barks it's really not that big of a deal in my eyes.

acornsandnuts Mon 25-Jun-18 15:23:48

Mine will bark if the here something in the street if they are in the back garden unattended as in I’m in the kitchen but they always get called in and do so straight away.

What bothers me more is those dogs who have separation anxiety and bark from owner leaving until they return.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 25-Jun-18 15:26:29

My husband came home to me on maternity leave in tears as i couldn't take the barking anymore. We had to rehome the dog in the end as I never got used to it.

isthistoonosy Mon 25-Jun-18 15:26:55

We have two barking dogs and they drive me crazy, up and down all the time trying to train them not to bark all the time. Unfortunately the nearest neighbour has 3 dogs, same breed who bark more and are not being trained. Luckily we are fairly remote so not too many people being affected.

OnlyBaBaBiss Mon 25-Jun-18 15:27:57

Mine barks at someone coming to the house/at the door and she goes bloody mental at the window cleaner
Yes it drives me loopy

Wolfiefan Mon 25-Jun-18 15:31:10

If your dog is barking incessantly in the garden you need to bring it in and not allow it out off lead to annoy the neighbours.
Ours occasionally lets out a single oof in the evening if people walk past. It's not loud but I still bring her back in.
I think some people shove their dogs in the garden as they're a PITA and they would rather the neighbours had to put up with it than actually train the dog Or actually walk it!

QueenOfMyWorld Mon 25-Jun-18 15:32:56

It's annoying as fuck.My dog barks everytime someone passes the window

dundermiflin Mon 25-Jun-18 15:38:33

My dogs bark if someone walks past our back garden. They have a dog door they run in and out of. I really worry about how much it affects the neighbors. I go out and bring them in but it doesn't stop them doing it again. I'm sort of immune to it but still aware of how annoying it could be.

MellowMelly Mon 25-Jun-18 15:39:31

I have a dog that barks at the postman/delivery drivers and every now and then at a random stranger walking on the pavement. It makes me jump and can be very annoying!
I’m very mindful of this and what my neighbours might think so I stop her as quickly as possible.

RadioDorothy Mon 25-Jun-18 15:55:14

Territorial or alert barking is self-rewarding and therefore difficult to eradicate, annoying as it is. My terrier is a sporadic squealer, she gets so excited going out for a walk that she screeches at 100db whenever we leave the front door. Which is not ideal when walking her at 6am.

I've perfected the art of diversion, which means shovelling food in her mouth as I open the door, and again as we go through it. She has occasionally let rip (at another dog or a person or a cat or a leaf) at the crack of dawn, whereupon I rugby tackle her to the ground and get her in a headlock to shut her up. Usually hissing "SHHHHHHHHH YOU NOISY TWAT".

I do occasionally apologise if I see our neighbours after she's had an outburst, but they mostly shrug and say they don't hear her. One didn't know we had a dog and the other thought she'd died!

I don't worry too much about the odd bark in the garden in the daytime, she's just doing her job and she's, well, a dog. But no, she is not left to bark and bark and bark relentlessly.

A persistent barker might simply be under exercised and under stimulated, and therefore entertaining itself. Which doesn't resolve the problem for you, I know!

Bluebell9 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:57:32

My dog barks if someone is at the front of the house in the evening/night, but he only does one bark to alert us.

We have a neighbour at the back of our house who has 4+ yappy dogs that go nuts as soon as my dog goes in the garden. Luckily my dog is totally uninterested in them and doesn't bark back. They go on and on without being told to be quiet or taken in.

I've taken to shouting to DP on the otherside of the garden things like 'those yappy dogs never shut up' which seems to promt the owners to shush them.

Bluebell9 Mon 25-Jun-18 16:00:25

*prompt

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: