Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone know exactly why you cant give calpol and nurofen at the same time....

(31 Posts)
NotClear Mon 25-Jun-18 10:12:10

...When you can stagger the doses, thereby administering the same amount every 24 hour period.

This is not about when to give calpol
This is not about when to give nurofen
It is also not about whether you give it for pain or fever or not at all.

It's just about why you can give it staggered but not together. So, for example, you can give calpol at 6, nurofen at 8, calpol again at 11, nurofen again at 2. But you cant give calpol and nurofen at 8 together so your poor child can cope better with earache.

Do they interact?
Will it be too much for the liver to metabolise?

Does anyone actually know the reason?

KitXi Mon 25-Jun-18 10:15:43

I don't think it's that you CAN'T, they don't interact or anything. I think it's because that way you can space the doses out without going over the maximum dosage for either thing, if you alternate them you can keep going throughout the day, whereas if you give both together you'll have to stop at some point so you don't overdose. Does that make sense?

swimmerlab Mon 25-Jun-18 10:16:57

I was told by A&E that you can give them together.

MrsSteptoe Mon 25-Jun-18 10:16:57

Yes, my understanding is that it's about spreading the maximum benefit across a 24H period, and that's best done by staggering doses rather than taking two together. Will be interested to see if a pharmacist comes on the thread to give a medical answer!

Bobbiepin Mon 25-Jun-18 10:17:01

You can but then they both wear off at the same time and you'll be stuck with nothing until the next dose.

StringyPotatoes Mon 25-Jun-18 10:17:46

You can give them at the same time. But if you spread out the doses it's more effective as you can take painkillers every three hours rather than doubling up and only taking painkillers every six hours.

DustyMaiden Mon 25-Jun-18 10:18:38

yes you can give both together but they will wear off together.

KitXi Mon 25-Jun-18 10:20:35

Also, if you've given them both together and your child gets distressed before the next dose is due, you're stuck and just have to wait. But if you give say paracetamol first, you have less time to wait before giving ibuprofen. NHS backs this up here

StormTreader Mon 25-Jun-18 10:21:34

You can give them together, thats what youre doing even with them spaced out. It just means that alternating keeps the pain at a 5, while all together means it goes 2 - 10 - 2 - 10....

Vanillaradio Mon 25-Jun-18 10:23:53

As others have said, you definitely can. Ds had a minor operation and was given both together. You just tend to stagger the doses so you can give painkillers every 2 hours and less likely to wear off.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 25-Jun-18 10:26:12

Well you can but the pain relief will last long if you stagger the doses.

SardinesAreYum Mon 25-Jun-18 10:28:25

Alternate every 2 hours gives more consistent pain relief over the period which is going to be better for the person who is ill. Less time when there's not much/ nothing in the system and they have to feel all the pain till next dose.

SardinesAreYum Mon 25-Jun-18 10:29:13

As everyone else has said as well smile

SnartyFartBlast Mon 25-Jun-18 10:30:05

Oh Jesus I give them together confused

CookPassBabtridge Mon 25-Jun-18 10:30:25

I give them together all the time, my 1 year old is teething some massive buggers and a double dose really helps him. Drs, pharmacists have all said it's okay as they work completely differently.

WinkysTeatowel Mon 25-Jun-18 10:31:37

My understanding is that they actually work better given together, there's no medical reason to stagger them it's just to reduce the space without painkillers.

Spam88 Mon 25-Jun-18 10:32:12

Yeah, as everyone has said, you definitely can. In addition to maintaining a steady level of pain relief, i think it's also recommended to stagger so that you don't give the second painkiller unless they actually need it (rather than giving both and not realising that just one would have done the job). For myself though I find I get better and longer-lasting relief if I take them at the same time.

Singlenotsingle Mon 25-Jun-18 10:33:18

I think it's because they both contain pracetamol, so by giving both you can unknowingly overdose

Babaroll Mon 25-Jun-18 10:34:30

I was told by my daughters ortho doctors that ibuprofen & paracetamol taken together is hugely effective as pain relief. The issue comes when you need to give them over extended periods as the frequency of dosage is different and they will wear off at different times.

I tend to alternate when my children are unwell to keep fevers down and I know ibuprofen lasts longer so normally would give that before I go to bed to get them through the night.

SaveFerris1 Mon 25-Jun-18 10:37:30

They DO NOT both contain paracetamol, ibuprofen is a completely different drug!

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 25-Jun-18 10:46:34

I think it's because they both contain pracetamol, so by giving both you can unknowingly overdose

If this was the case youd still overdose by staggering them.wouldnt you.

No the reason you csn take them together (either at the same time of staggered) is because they DON'T BOTH contain paracetamol. As somone else has said one is paracetmol (calpol) and one is ibuprofen. Theg dont contract, so as every one else has said its about pain management. That if you or your child have a pain killer every two hours rather than every four it makes it more managemable

BertieBotts Mon 25-Jun-18 10:48:21

You can. Do obviously be careful to check the label as I believe both calpol and neurofen market paracetamol and ibuprofen products for children so if you were not paying attention you could overdose. It's important to always check the label for active ingredients for this reason. Same if you're giving any other kind of medication like sudafed or any teething products.

Also check the dosage intervals! I stupidly didn't bother to read the dosage info on children's neurofen because I thought that it was the same interval as adults' which is 4 hours apart - the bottle I had was not and it stated 6 hours apart. Luckily nothing bad happened and I only noticed months after I'd done it but made me feel awful when I realised.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 25-Jun-18 10:55:11

Ah bertie thats a hood point about both brands offering both paracetmol and ibuprofen products.

We're just answering with the assumption that calpol is parcetmol amd neurofen is ibuprofen.

So yes if youve got two of the paracetomol or two of the ibuprofen based products you can't give them to your child at the same time or staghered.

If one is parcetomol and ones ibuprofen then the advice and reasoning posted earlier stsnds

ToastyFingers Mon 25-Jun-18 10:55:45

You can give them together, it's just more effective to stagger them, as you get a full dose of pain relief every two hours, as opposed to every 4.

tccat Mon 25-Jun-18 11:05:34

I'm sure you can buy both together, Calpofren or something like that, or did I imagine that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: