Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Can anyone help me with this debit card charge query

(9 Posts)
IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sun 24-Jun-18 01:22:50

Booked an afternoon tea earlier this year, you have to add your card details to the booking and if you don’t turn up or cancel less then 24h before then you get charged £20PP (x 4 people is a lot!). Now can’t go due to finances

I haven’t been able to get through for the last 5 days to cancel or found an email address. I meant to try any means to contact them today and just forgot. I’ve left a message on their answerphone (which hasn’t been available when I’ve tried before!) but it’s barely 12h before the booking

If I cancel the card, would they still be able to charge me somehow?! I absolutely cannot afford to lose this money

Shit, help! Please!

AjasLipstick Sun 24-Jun-18 04:48:18

What is the name of the teashop? And in what town?

AjasLipstick Sun 24-Jun-18 04:49:31

Oh see! The 24 hours is up how annoying. I was going to say that you should call the businesses next door and ask if the shop is still trading.

I am sure the best thing would be to call your bank. You may be able to stop it.

bubbles108 Sun 24-Jun-18 05:39:15

Ring the bank and cancel the payment?

IsAnyoneElseMissingCheese Sun 24-Jun-18 05:44:50

If they have that policy in place and you have provided card details then you've already given them permission to take it.

I know you need to cancel for financial reasons, but they also need to keep the money for financial reasons and likely can't fill your space on such short notice. You might get lucky if they can fill the space and it's an indie cafe with a nice owner though so it's still worth a call when they open!

Onemorewonthurt Sun 24-Jun-18 06:18:06

Yes they can still take the payment even if you can the card now. The card was valid at the time of receiving the details therefore the payment will still go through (that was how it worked 6 years ago when I worked in a bank).

The bank are unable to cancel debit card payments, they will direct you back to the company. The only thing they can do is raise a dispute for you only once the payment has debited your account. However in this circumstance they are unlikely too.

Keep pursuing them and hopefully they'll be kind!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Sun 24-Jun-18 09:06:38

The trouble is people have started booking many places then deciding on the day which reservation to keep. That gets very expensive for the restaurants.

So they have started fighting back.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sun 24-Jun-18 13:13:43

In my panic, I cancelled the card...I rang them and left a message at 1am then rang and spoke to someone at 9am who cancelled it no problem and with no charge.

I’ve cancelled my card for no reason and we go away on Friday
What a fucking idiot

LizzieSiddal Sun 24-Jun-18 13:17:25

Ring your bank and ask how you can get money out without your card. I know with mine they let me take money out as long as I took several forms of ID. Just check with your bank.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: