Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you get a swarm of bees please don't hurt them

(171 Posts)
cottonwoolbrain Sat 23-Jun-18 16:02:43

Yesterday we came home from the school run to find a swarm of honey bees had taken up residence on our driveway.

I wasn't really sure what to do but after googling discovered the British Bee Keepers Association have a network of volunteer swarm collectors. I texted our nearest and a lovely lady turned up this morning complete with a hive donned her bee catching outfit and took them away. They'll now live in a hive in her garden. She estimated there were 10000 bees or thereabouts!

She said that lots of people are spraying swarms or otherwise trying to kill them. With the worry about bees dying off if you get a swarm of honey bees please don't hurt them or call in pest control, please check if there is a local bee keeper who will take them away. Also she said not to worry as when bees are swarming they are usually at their least aggressive and very unlikely to attack unless in self defence - they are simply swarming round their queen to protect her.

cottonwoolbrain Sat 23-Jun-18 16:06:28

Bees and lots of them

HeGotManFlu Sat 23-Jun-18 16:08:25

Lovely story, our ndn bashed hers with a broom, luckily we gave her the number for her to call so they could be safely taken away and rehomed.

IveHadPraiseIveHadRidicule Sat 23-Jun-18 16:08:47

Wow that looks amazing! We have some tree bees in one of our nest boxes. I enjoy watching them as much as the baby birds.

GummyGoddess Sat 23-Jun-18 16:11:20

The hundreds that are outside my front door are ignoring me so far. Thank you for the information, if they start flying at me I'll call someone to remove them nicely.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 23-Jun-18 16:17:07

Don't they all come you if you attack them or that just a fallacy.

DunkandEggAgain Sat 23-Jun-18 16:21:09

Oh wow.

GreenTulips Sat 23-Jun-18 16:22:57

A single queen bee is worth £10,000 plus - they don't get them out of the goodness of their hearts!

But you're right - get the experts

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 23-Jun-18 16:25:55

We are having a swarm a week in our garden - we live a few houses down from a beekeeper and the swarms love our forest garden and normally head for one of our fruit trees.

We get a jar of honey each time from him so I am not complaining - he just pops over, bashes the tree and they drop into a box. Simple as.

Prokupatuscrakedatus Sat 23-Jun-18 16:38:12

I have recently listened to a talk at our local uni department of agriculture about the effect the loss of bees will have on harvests and food production (think -70% on apples etc.).

Sadly I cannot keep bees, but I'll make sure all my outside plants will nourish bees and other fertilizing insects.

Rafflesway Sat 23-Jun-18 16:42:29

OMG, I would run a mile if I saw hundreds of bees anywhere near my house. I liven semi rurally and live in sheer dread of something like this happening.

I am absolutely terrified of them.

Still recovering from the fact that the lady beekeeper couldn't collect until next morning. 😱. How the hell do you get into your house?

Must admit though a few years ago I felt absolutely dreadful. One got into the house - quite a big one - and was sitting crawling menacingly--in my bay window. DH --resident wasp and bee catcher was out at the time. I was scared to death and didn't know what to do. I actually sprayed it with fly spray. The poor thing screamed it's head off until it died. 😰. I still feel terrible to this day but no way could I leave it in the house as I am close to phobic with them.

Rafflesway Sat 23-Jun-18 16:43:38

live 🙄

listsandbudgets Sat 23-Jun-18 16:51:38

We just walked past them. Honestly they werent aggressive at all, just a bit buzzy!! The lady couldnt collect until thos morning as she was out for thr evening by the time I found her contact details

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 23-Jun-18 16:52:00

I still feel terrible to this day but no way could I leave it in the house as I am close to phobic with them.

You could just open a window or door and let the poor thing fly out. Do you think some therapy would help your irrational fear of the humble bee?

QuilliamCakespeare Sat 23-Jun-18 16:52:28

Hello bees! I saved one for the first time today. It was bumbling about looking very sorry for itself so I gave it some sugar water and it perked right up and flew away smile

listsandbudgets Sat 23-Jun-18 16:55:00

sorry not sure how the first xouole of posts went as cottonwoolbrain... only use that for miserable and depressed posts usually!!

ALongHardWinter Sat 23-Jun-18 17:10:48

I can't believe that people actually try to kill them by spraying them! Many species of bee in this in this country are declining at an alarming rate,due to habitat loss,toxic pesticides and disease,and also threats from alien species not normally found in the UK. They are the worlds most important pollinator of food crops,it is estimated that one third of the food that we consume each day depends upon pollination mainly by bees. So if they die out,we're in trouble. We should be doing all we can to encourage and protect these industrious little creatures.

Rafflesway Sat 23-Jun-18 17:12:13

Probably Tellseveryone!

In all honesty I have considered it as I NEVER have the car window open when it's hot for fear of either a bee or wasp flying in. I once nearly caused DH to crash the car when I was sitting in the passenger seat and suddenly saw a wasp sitting in my lap. I still feel sick at the thought of it. I can't even bear to look at photos of bees and wasps. I would just prefer we keep well away from each other. To me they are far from humble but then again others are irrationally terrified of spiders and mice. They don't bother me at all.

Rafflesway Sat 23-Jun-18 17:14:06

Oh and there is no way on Gods earth I could open a window where the "Thing" is lurking. I have been known to lock myself out of the house before now. 😨

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sat 23-Jun-18 17:15:25

I've been a gardener and one for going outside and foraging around for around 45 years, almost since I could walk really. I have been stung just the once; when I put my hand on a bee in a vegetable shop.

I think you really do need that therapy. It is totally out of proportion.

OrchidInTheSun Sat 23-Jun-18 17:16:13

I'm allergic to bee stings but I still don't kill them. They won't sting randomly - they're not like wasps confused

plominoagain Sat 23-Jun-18 17:24:08

Last year we had these arrive in our hedge . Called a local beekeeper out and he rushed over to get them. He was well chuffed !

SixHoolaHoops Sat 23-Jun-18 17:24:28

We had a swarm on the tree outside our house - we got a local bee keeper to come and rehouse them. Really important we look after bees

blackdoggotmytongueagain Sat 23-Jun-18 17:27:58

FIL is a bee collector- he spends most of his summer popping out to collect swarms and try to rehouse them. I’m laughing at the £10,000 value. How do you get that then? I must let FIL know. grin He gets petrol money from the local bee society and forks out a lot of cash for flats and equipment, and stuff to winterise the hives. He probably breaks even with a couple of hundred pounds of honey a year, most of which he gives away (after buying and sterilizing jars etc).
It’s a lovely hobby, but yeah - he does do it out of the kindness of his heart, not for the opportunity to snag £10k. Sometimes it’s very hard to find a home for a swarm...

ladymariner Sat 23-Jun-18 17:28:21

I actually sprayed it with fly spray. The poor thing screamed it's head off until it died

What a horrible wicked thing to do, it must have been in agony. Yeah, I hope you do feel terrible, you deserve to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: