Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is Tenbury Wells like?

(17 Posts)
LockedOutOfMN Fri 22-Jun-18 20:37:10

May be spending a month there on a work placement. What's it like? Is there any public transport at all? (I won't have a car).

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 00:52:43

Hopeful bump, please.

footballmum Tue 07-Aug-18 06:38:55

It’s a small rural market town. Not sure about public transport but I’m aware it’s very sporadic in that area. I have family members who live in the area who all drive as they go into Ludlow, Leominster and Kidderminster for larger shops. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge of the place will be along soon.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 08:35:50

Thanks very much footballmum. I'm just a bit anxious as work hasn't given me any details about the place as well as very little information about the work I'll be doing those weeks.

Would the nearest airport be Birmingham?

Haggisfish Tue 07-Aug-18 08:37:39

Yes it would be. There are buses but not massively often. There is one supermarket, a library and a few pubs. Where would you be staying?

NinetySixer Tue 07-Aug-18 08:38:03

It’s very small. There is limited public transport and there nearest big shops are as, a previous poster said, in Local towns. Local being a 20 minute drive on standard, non dual carriageway roads.

There is a small high street and beautiful scenery but that is about it. Everything closes early.

We moved to a slightly bigger local town just over a year ago and I hate it. The scenery is beautiful but everything is painfully slow I.E 4 times as long to arrange a rental property than anywhere else I have lived.

But you’re only there for a month so you’ll be fine.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 08:51:13

Thanks, both. I really appreciate it. Which is the supermarket? (As in, which chain).

I'll be staying with some colleagues who live about 1.5 miles west of Leominster train station.

NinetySixer Tue 07-Aug-18 09:54:27

So. Leominster has a Morrison’s.

If you are staying with colleagues will one of them have a car?

footballmum Tue 07-Aug-18 16:03:10

Leominster probably has a little bit more going on than Tenbury. They’ve got a WH Smith, Aldi, Morrison’s and a selection of independent shops.

I do think you’ll struggle without a car. If you fly into Birmingham can you hire one from there? We used to have a caravan about 5 miles outside Leominster and you couldn’t even get a taxi if you wanted to venture out for a meal and a drink! The area is lovely and there are lots of fab restaurants and pubs but you definitely need your own transport!

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 16:04:13

Thanks again. Probably no car, but I guess we can use taxis. It's only a month.

Is there a supermarket in Tenbury Wells itself?

NinetySixer Tue 07-Aug-18 16:31:59

The problem is there aren’t really taxis.

Not in the same way other part of the country.

Usually you call for a taxi they say great is 30 mins okay and you say yes.

In this part of the world you spend 30 mins ringing all the taxi companies. When one finally answers to say they were fully booked 7 days in advance. A lot of the time they don’t even show up when booked. (Bitter experience)

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 21:40:07

Oh dear. Slightly dreading it now. Let's hope there's a bus every now and then, or we'll have to fall on the mercy of our local colleagues.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 07-Aug-18 21:40:58

Thank you to everyone for all of the information. I really appreciate it.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Tue 07-Aug-18 21:47:31

I think your going to have to be at the mercy of colleuges, im afraid.

I grew up very close, in fact my parents live between there and the next local town, bromyard, and ermm theres no or very little public transport. Taxis in to places like leominster, kidderminster etc are going to be very expensive.

Sorry to break this to you, honestly you'll be better hiring a car

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Tue 07-Aug-18 21:49:18

I think its tescos in tenbury and a local indepentant one there may be a co op

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Tue 07-Aug-18 21:54:38

Oh you can get in to kidderminster on the bus

bustimes.org/localities/tenbury-wells

LockedOutOfMN Sat 11-Aug-18 18:07:54

Thank you, NaughtToThreeSadOnions. I really appreciate all of the info.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: