Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Argos think I’m a thief - is there anything I can do?

(117 Posts)
TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:22:04

I received set of beats earphines as a gift from my boyfriend yesterday. He’d bought them from Argos. When I opened them, it was late and I just stuck them on charge. Tried to use them this morning and they don’t work. When looking at them in the light, they’re grubby and don’t look new.

Boyfriend takes them back to Argos, says they’re broken, can we have a replacement. First server is quite rude - says they don’t look new and he agrees and tell her id noticed that.

Manager comes out and checks the serial numbers, says they don’t match and he is refusing to refund. We ask for clarification and while he doesn’t actually accuse us of swapping them, he stated they’ve been swapped and if they were sealed when we received them (they were), then it must have been done after they left the store as they are sealed before they come to the store and cannot be resealed. Apple later confirmed that this isn’t true and that stores can just stick a new seal on. The manager then offered to look at the cctv, which he did but did not report what he'd found and what could it show? Us receiving a sealed box, which didn’t contain our earphones!

Argos told us it’s Beats’ (Apple’s) fault. Apple told us to go to the CAB and sue Argos. But will even that do any good? We seem to have to prove we are not guilty, which we can’t do, even though we’re not.

There wasn’t even any way we could avoid this unless we opened the box in the shop and checked the serial numbers in front of them, which is clearly ridiculous and basically what the manager suggested we should have done.

Is there anything we can do? We’ve tried tweeting, online chat, customer services.

SparklyMagpie Fri 22-Jun-18 18:24:43

Someone will be along shortly I'm sure with some great advice

Just wanted to say bloody Argos are one of the worst companies I've dealt with in regards to returns and complaints,so I feel for you on that

RachelfromFriends Fri 22-Jun-18 18:27:04

Argos are awful and I once worked for them! I'm starting to feel angry about the time I had to take something back and the cow was vile

ScreamingValenta Fri 22-Jun-18 18:28:24

How did your boyfriend pay for them? If he used a debit card, you might be able to claim via chargeback through his bank if the headphones are not fit for purpose.

LivingMyBestLife Fri 22-Jun-18 18:31:39

So they were sealed when you got them?

Could someone else have had them previously and swapped them for an older pair at home?

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:32:36

Debit card. But if they dispute it and say we’re thieves confused will the bank believe them.

Im sort of in shock as this is so far from who I am! If I’d broken them on the way out id have sucked it up but this is infuriating. And for DP to get so much aggro for doing something nice is awful!

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:34:56

They could have been ordered previously and swapped then. They were sealed but Beats confirmed that shops can just reseal and resell. But I don’t know if this only applies to Apple shops or any shop.

tinkerbellax Fri 22-Jun-18 18:35:38

Argos are well known for reselling items that have been previously returned, often without checking them over before putting them back out for sale.

bruffin Fri 22-Jun-18 18:36:04

My DM bought a tv from argos . When it came out of the box it didnt work and the guarantee card had been filled in by someone else.

fiddlechops Fri 22-Jun-18 18:36:12

I may have missed it, but did he have a receipt that shows the purchase date? Also if paid for by debit card then there would be confirmation on the statement.
I know of someone who brought an electric shaver who when taking it out of the box, saw it had shavings already on the blades!
Unfortunately they didn't get refunded as Argos stood their ground.

LongSummerDays Fri 22-Jun-18 18:36:40

Someone bought them and returned their old ones for a refund - guessing the person who refunded them didn't check the box properly. Argos are known for this sort of thing, I've read where people have bought an epilator and on opening it find it's been used 🤮

LivingMyBestLife Fri 22-Jun-18 18:38:44

Would Apple be able to trace the headphones you have by the serial number - especially if it's different to the one on the box - and give you a clue as to how old they are?

ScreamingValenta Fri 22-Jun-18 18:40:08

Here is the MoneySaving Expert guide to chargeback, OP -

www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

TammySwansonTwo Fri 22-Jun-18 18:40:12

It’s difficult as knowing when they bought it is irrelevant if Argos believe they’ve swapped them out for a faulty pair they already own.

However, that’s what’s someone else has clearly done - bought a pair, then returned a faulty pair they already had for a refund. Argos have then sold them to you. Maybe make a big fuss on Twitter? Email / tweet them and copy in BBC Watchdog

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:40:41

Yes. He got an ereceipt so we have all the details in a handy forwardable format. They just did not care!

GreenTulips Fri 22-Jun-18 18:40:42

*https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase

The onus isn't on them - go quote the act to them via email

ColdFeetAndHotCakes Fri 22-Jun-18 18:42:38

Argos once sold me a laptop that had not only been used, but returned and then resold to me with loads of personal information on and was a breach of data protection or something. The laptop was by then out of stock and the offer over. The specific store said they would honour the original offer when they got more stock in, but when questioned further they weren't going to restock the laptop at all and refused to order one in from another store that had stock, and if we went to another store they wouldn't be able to honour the deal as it wasn't their problem.

Never buying from Argos again after that. They're beyond crap.

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:42:50

Yeah that’s it. Doesn’t really matter when they were bought. Apple say they’re over a year old. They could “repair” them for us, for an out of warrantee fee of £106. So I get to pay £106 to use year-old earphones that have been in someone else’s ears! Fab!

ScreamingValenta Fri 22-Jun-18 18:45:34

Contact your bank and initiate a charge back. Your boyfriend's account will show when the purchase was made.

JustVent Fri 22-Jun-18 18:46:05

I bought a Satnav from Argos once. When I got it home, it had quite obviously been owned, opened and badly repackaged again and when I tried it, it didn’t work.

I returned it, and it was ok because it looked like I had opened it. But it had clearly been rummaged through already.

I wondered whether they would try and sell it again!

HildaZelda Fri 22-Jun-18 18:48:19

Argos have gone incredibly shit in recent years.
About a month ago DHL bought a new iron there. Used it at home a couple of days later and it was leaking everywhere. He took it back (had receipt, purchased on credit card) and they were unbelievably rude. Basically accused him of damaging it himself. He asked to speak to a manager who was just as bad. Completely refused to give a refund despite the fact that it was clearly faulty.
As it happens there are 3 Argos stores near us so he decided to chance taking it back to one of the others where they examined the iron, apologised and gave him a full refund.

So if you have another store anywhere near you OP, you might have better luck returning it there.

HildaZelda Fri 22-Jun-18 18:49:30

DH obviously not DHL! grin

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Fri 22-Jun-18 18:51:19

Hmm we have 3 near us. But if I take it back I’d need to say “there’s some shit old ones in the box and not the nice new ones we ordered”. Then they’d just tell me to do one wouldn’t they?

shiklah Fri 22-Jun-18 18:54:12

I bought a foot bath for my grandma from argos and it was dirty when we opened it! I went in and they did the same. I went berserk thou - I was very stressed, 7 months pregnant and wasn't having my grandma called a liar. They gave me a brand new one.

Madlizzy Fri 22-Jun-18 18:56:55

This is down to staff not checking properly. I used to work for them, and if anything was brought back as a return, it should have been opened and checked that it hadn't been used. Only then would a box be resealed. I'd go back in and speak to the manager again and stand your ground.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: