Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My horsefly bite is so swollen my skin has started to bubble up

(26 Posts)
MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:24:14

It’s rock solid to the touch, hot and red and now it’s started to bubble up. I’ve popped a couple and it’s just clear so I don’t think it’s infected. Does that sound normal? Like it’s just so swollen it’s forcing liquid out?

All the shiny bobbley bits are where it’s bubbled.

dottycat123 Thu 21-Jun-18 23:32:17

I had exactly the same a couple of weeks ago after a bite.My leg was hard, red and fluid leaked out. The itching was mind blowing. I thought it was getting infected but it didn't progress to anything. I am a nurse so confident to just wait and see what happened. The swelling lasted a week as did the itching. I think I Will have a permanent scar. A cold compress seemed to give more relief than hydrocortisone cream.

CatONineTails Thu 21-Jun-18 23:34:21

Normal for horsefly bites! Mine always do this.

Don't pop the blisters though!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:34:54

Thanks dotty, that’s reassuring. Never really been bothered by them before. My DSil mutters things like cellulitis if you mention bites and I got scared. grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:35:09

Ooh, why not?

Stompythedinosaur Thu 21-Jun-18 23:36:40

Oral antihistamines will help with the itching.

Popping blisters increases the risk of infection.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:37:26

Oh right. That makes sense. So satisfying though. Thought it might relieve the tension.

dottycat123 Thu 21-Jun-18 23:40:21

Popping the blisters could increase the risk of infection as you are opening the skin. There is always a risk of infection but horse fly bites cause a big histamine response so will swell.

Pebblespony Thu 21-Jun-18 23:42:02

I blast them with the hairdryer in full heat for a few seconds. Kills the itch for a few hours. I'm really sensitive to the bastards and I have horses so no escape.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:44:04

I was walking the dog. I even saw the bloody fly on my leg but the damage had been done by the time I swatted it away, little bastard. My leg looks bloody awful. Bang goes all my lovely summer dresses for a while.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jun-18 23:44:36

Oh pebbles. Ouchy.

GallicosCats Fri 22-Jun-18 00:18:56

Benadryl at night for a few days, and don't wear tight trousers on the bite as that makes the blistering worse. After Bite can help although it might be a bit late now. Once it goes dark red it might look horrible but it's on the way out.

I get comprehensively eaten be mozzies every summer so I sympathise!

GallicosCats Fri 22-Jun-18 00:19:59

By mozzies...blush

namechangedtoday15 Fri 22-Jun-18 00:29:38

I was wearing a dress and actually felt it bite me on what can only be described as the bottom of my bum cheek! When I got up the next day the swelling was down to my knee and half way around my thigh, it was rigid. The only thing that helped was antibiotics.

MegBusset Fri 22-Jun-18 00:30:02

I got bitten three years ago on my head and still have a huge, hard lump there - like a little devil horn under the surface! Definitely don't squeeze and leave alone as much as possible.

shakingmyhead1 Fri 22-Jun-18 03:36:17

when you are at home make a paste of baking soda and a tiny bit of water and put on the bite, refresh as needed, we do that for mozi bites and bee stings and it helps take the itch out

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 22-Jun-18 08:06:08

Thanks for the advice and sympathy. My leg looks like something’s brewing. grin

Branleuse Fri 22-Jun-18 08:07:48

have you taken an antihistamine

Shamalamalam Fri 22-Jun-18 08:11:34

The bottom 3 inches of my legs are covered in them. They’re driving me mad

I poo picked DD’s horse’s paddock in rolled up jeans earlier in the week and got well and truly bitten. The itching was driving me mad. I’ve got some Jungle (I think it’s called) spray which is helping but it’s starting to ease off a bit now

bluerunningshoes Fri 22-Jun-18 08:13:28

cortisone insect bite cream & taking an antihistamine should help.

Littlebitty Fri 22-Jun-18 08:21:42

Use Eurax cream for itchiness and strong wash the area with saltwater (couple of teaspoons in a reused water bottle with do). I am prone to being bitten and having the worse allergic reactions but these two things have been the most effective for me! Good luck!smile

Littlebitty Fri 22-Jun-18 08:22:37

Sorry I mean just wash with strong saltwater

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 22-Jun-18 20:13:51

Yes I’ve had an antihistamine each day but I’ve run out now, I need to get some more.

Horseflies are up there with wasps for the title of most evil and useless bug going.

NoWordForFluffy Fri 22-Jun-18 20:47:04

I had one on my ankle bone a couple of years ago. I was sent half-lame by it. They're total fuckers.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 23-Jun-18 22:29:49

Agreed. Total fuckers. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: