Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Im so over sharks today

(64 Posts)
TheSheepofWallSt Thu 21-Jun-18 23:04:27

My toddler (almost 2) is REALLY fixating on some .... specific... stuff at the minute. I'd like to share it with you.

- SCHARRRRKS aka - sharks. Baby Shark. Bruce the Shark from Finding Nemo. A truly vile latex shark hand puppet he had a meltdown over in paper chase (and I bought for SEVEN ENGLISH POUNDS. This is why I'm destitute). He wakes me up at 5am every fucking day screaming 'SHARKS SHARKS' in my ear, and we do SOMETHING shark related.

- SCHTICKS! SCHTICKS! aka - Stickers. I introduced sticker books as a fun rainy day activity. Now we have approx 2500000 stickers floating round the house. I find them everywhere. In my handbag. In the butter. I found one AT WORK ON MY DIRECTORS DESK last week - and it was definitely from my house, because I recognised the bit of the Gruffalo as from the puzzle on page 7. How?!

- BOOOOOOBY!!!! Self explanatory. Im trying to wean. He is trying not to wean. It's a battle of wills, a war of attrition, and my tits are losing.

- SING SING! MON MON SING! The Monkey, Johnny, from the film 'Sing' singing 'Im Still Standing'. We watch it 65 times a day. I'm pleased my kid likes retro pop music - and I adore watching him pretend to play piano - but I have an earworm that will not die. 'Ahhmmm still standin'... blah blah than I ever did...'

MUCKY, MUMMMY MUCKY. - going round the house, picking lint up off the floor, pointing out scuff marks on the walls, showing me the toothpaste smear on the sink - and then repeating MUCKY MUMMY MUCKY, like a 2 foot Kim and Aggie, until I crack and get the Method out.

Anyway. There we are. The sum total of my media consumption, artistic activity household cleaning routine, and lactation woes.

Off to bed now, so I can be nice and fresh for the 5am shark alarm.

Hobbes8 Thu 21-Jun-18 23:08:21

My son loved the theme tune from Fraggle rock at that age. Not the rest of the programme, just the theme tune. Luckily it’s awesome.

kirta Thu 21-Jun-18 23:14:51

Get some old episodes of sharky and George queued up on YouTube!
And give him a cloth do he can clean as he points things out. He sounds ace

RedPandaMama Thu 21-Jun-18 23:15:54

Amazing post, laughed out loud and read it to DP and so did he.

Good luck with the 5am shark alarm

TheSheepofWallSt Thu 21-Jun-18 23:23:20

@kirta

He is very excellent. Just me and him, so we’ve got quite the bond. He actually has a toy hoover and a broom- although he spurns them in favour of the real thing. Often find him loading the washing machine for me, sweeping the corners with the dustpan and brush, and we have a full battle of wills going on over who gets to use the actual hoover.

Duster is a v gd idea though.

TheSheepofWallSt Thu 21-Jun-18 23:24:40

@Redpanda

Why thank you- it IS all joyful and magical: just bleeding exhausting at the same time.

Basically it’s the same as my “Hackney lost years” but without the hard drugs grin

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Jun-18 23:26:57

I have a bloody awesome shark hand puppet somewhere. Meet the 5am shark request with a RAAR and a shark attack courtesy of puppet?!
grin
Or just picture it if you want to avoid scarring your child.
Take to humming the scary "shark is coming" theme from Jaws instead! grin

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 21-Jun-18 23:27:17

Baby shark do do do do do do

That's going to hang around in my head hmm

IWantMyHatBack Thu 21-Jun-18 23:29:15

(feel free to skip past me, but don't say you're destitute when you're not. Actually being destitute is a world apart from being a bit skint)

But yes, obsessive small ones. Yours sounds amazing btw, he's obviously talking really well and sounds lovely smile

IWantMyHatBack Thu 21-Jun-18 23:30:03

Maybe we could all post you shark things. Or stickers. Or shark stickers.

NT53NJT Thu 21-Jun-18 23:30:42

But what will life be without baby shark? I don't wanna find out shock

TheSheepofWallSt Thu 21-Jun-18 23:33:20

@iwantmyhatback

Do you know... I nearly bought a shark sticker book for him today? I was languishing at home with tonsillitis, feeling guilty that I’d sent him to nursery when I was at home and could’ve (sort of) looked after him (or let him go feral)- and amazon had some really good ones.

Refrained as ... you know... sick to the back bloody teeth of peeling bits of gruffalo or diplodocuses off the crotch of my knickers/ off the sofa / the cat

TheSheepofWallSt Thu 21-Jun-18 23:33:45

Cheers though!

IWantMyHatBack Thu 21-Jun-18 23:39:42

grin

It's an endurance test to prepare you for the likes of Pokémon/Minecraft/everything else.

You sound like a superstar though. When mine pester at stupid AM, my tolerance levels are extremely low.

Polishitbehindthedoor Thu 21-Jun-18 23:41:35

My DS was fixated on Thomas & Friends for a good two years. Absolutely infatuated in fact. He loved Thomas more than life. More than me sad

He lived and breathed that fucking engine! If he wasn't playing with Thomas toys he was watching it on Milkshake / DVDs / YouTube. If I turned it off an almighty tantrum would ensue that would go on for what felt like forever until he exhausted himself and fell asleep in distraught heap.

He'd wake me in the early hours of the morning to turn the tv on to Thomas. It was so all-consuming I genuinely worried about him for a while.

Two whole fucking years that obsession went on for.

That and being naked. He'd strip off any time, anywhere without warning. Again, trying to put clothes back on him would create a rage in him of epic proportions!

I can say though, with great relief, that both obsessions faded eventually.

Ride it out OP, it'll get better!

IWantMyHatBack Thu 21-Jun-18 23:44:39

" DS was fixated on Thomas & Friends for a good two years. Absolutely infatuated in fact. He loved Thomas more than life. More than me"

It's stories like this that I read on MN 10 years ago that led me to banning Thomas, anything with vehicles with faces, Fireman bloody Sam, and more recently Paw Patrol from the house.

(vehicles with faces freak me out though)

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Thu 21-Jun-18 23:45:02

It does get better. As a toddler, ds1 used to be utterly and completely obsessed with trains - Clas 50 diesel locos were the favourites, but any sort of train would do. He knew about four hundred and seventy six million facts about trains, and wanted to share them ALL, with anyone who would stand still long enough. You could tell when someone had been on the receiving end of his Train Facts, by the dazed and glazed expression!

He never stopped loving trains - he now works for a rail infrastructure company - but he did learn that not everyone shares his obsession. And he has turned his obsession into a career, in which he is doing really well - maybe your little one is heading for a career as a marine biologist!

twattymctwatterson Thu 21-Jun-18 23:56:46

I want to kill that fucking baby shark and eat it with chips

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-Jun-18 00:20:27

DD1 is obsessed with dinosaurs. She has 4 plastic figurines. At one point they were called Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Scarface Claw. Now they have been rechristened Gary, Larry, Barrie and 'Arry. You get told off if you don't drop the aitch. They have to go everywhere with us, including New York. They sometimes double as an Olympic diving team during bathtime. Sinisterly, they are known collectively as The Friends.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 22-Jun-18 00:29:47

She also points out rubbish solemnly ("OH. Mummy. RUBBISH.") but also has just started on assorted driving offences. "That man is going too fast on our street..... that car didn't wait. He is very naughty" etc. Complete with exaggerated pointing. Cringe.

Goostacean Fri 22-Jun-18 00:33:50

Mine is too small for these activities yet but several of these descriptive posts made me laugh out loud- I look forward (I think??) to the joys ahead! 😂

TheSheepofWallSt Fri 22-Jun-18 09:06:43

@johnny

DYING at the friends!

We have a Peter rabbit that goes everywhere.... unless he’s MUCKY MUMMY - in which case DS puts him in the wash. Regardless of whose house we might be at

In other news, shark alarm mercifully didn’t start blaring until 7.30?!?? Which means I’m a) late for work because I’d stopped setting my actual alarm bevause the shark callwas so dependable and b) a bit put out, because we only had time to watch one bit of “sing” after baby shark

kirta Fri 22-Jun-18 09:13:58

Garry Larry Barry and Arry! Bloody brilliant... my daughter had a little chicken called Mick the Chick. Never forget when she had a heavy cold and was shouting for Mick the Dick!

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Fri 22-Jun-18 09:18:19

you need these

Reusable sticker books are bloody excellent! Saves buying 14 packs of stickers a day and they can’t stick them on walls! I fucking hate stickers!

SnugglySnerd Fri 22-Jun-18 09:34:58

That's really made me smile op. This is the second thread I've read this morning that mentions the baby shark song. Should I look on YouTube or will we end up watching it for the rest of the year?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: