Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What is the kindest thing you have ever done?

(108 Posts)
DewDropsonKittens Thu 21-Jun-18 20:15:45

I have had a really shit day with child protection and am trying to make myself feel better by remembering things I have done to be nice to others
So...

- I've brought a homeless guy coffee and a bacon roll a few times
- I once helped a lady who had trapped her baby in the car by accident
- a colleague was in a very awful controlling position with her ex husband and had been saving for 3 years to pay for a divorce, she had £150 left to go.. I posted the amount in her door in a card

Sometimes remembering the good we do helps outweigh what we couldn't change

Anyone else want to brag or just try feel a bit better today ?

mimibunz Thu 21-Jun-18 20:21:43

A woman called my office looking for a job and I was able to direct her to exactly the company/job she was looking for.

Rescued a dog from an abusive home (a highlight!)

But more importantly, I have been on the receiving end of so much generosity, especially when times were tough. People can be so kind! I want to always be a better person than not, even though I let myself down sometimes.

mimibunz Thu 21-Jun-18 20:22:55

I’m sorry about your shit day, OP. flowers

DewDropsonKittens Thu 21-Jun-18 20:23:27

Aww that was lovely that you took the time to do that smile

insancerre Thu 21-Jun-18 20:23:48

I started a thread on here that enabled a young girl to pay for her mum's funeral and get a memorial necklace

Knitjob Thu 21-Jun-18 20:24:58

Today I let a woman with a crying toddler go ahead of me in the queue in Aldi. I also unloaded her trolley onto the conveyor belt for her.

ZispinAndTurmericLatte Thu 21-Jun-18 20:25:58

I can't think of anything massively kind I've done. I hope I've done something that's mattered to someone and just can't think of it now...

I helped a person with their two-seater pram on the train today, that's all I can think of...

Tara336 Thu 21-Jun-18 20:28:06

I paid £800 for a horse and then handed him to a charity who used him as a field companion for rescue horses. I couldn’t stand the thought of him falling into the hands of someone who was going to use him for jumping when he was really too old. He had a lovely retirement 😊

itsBritneyBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 20:28:41

I saw a woman running for the bus once in formal clothes, and when it drove off without her she started sobbing! I asked her if she was okay and it turns out she was on her way to a job interview after her husband left her in the shit, and had no money for a taxi. I lived 5 mins from said bus stop and so drove her into town. I didn't expect to ever hear from her again but around a month and a bit later I got some flowers left in my porch with a note thanking me and telling me she got the job and was much happier grin always warms my heart whenever I feel bad about myself.

I think it's lovely to do kind things for others as kindness usually finds a way back to yousmile

MattBerrysHair Thu 21-Jun-18 20:32:18

Haven't a clue. Something I consider a kind act may not actually be interpreted as one by the recipient, or something that I consider trivial and unimportant may have a profound effect on another. Listing your charitable works seems a little vainglorious. However, the kindest thing anyone ever did for me was a friend of a friend way back when I'd just moved out of home when I was a teenager. I was having a terrible time with depression and he came over and tidied my room for me. It helped clear my head and not feel so alone.

anametouse Thu 21-Jun-18 20:32:56

@Knitjob - I saw someone do that last week (I was in another queue with my toddler) and it warmed my heart smile

Ilikesweetpeas Thu 21-Jun-18 20:33:03

Helped a lady who's clearly (to me) ASD son was having a total meltdown in the supermarket. Collapsed his special needs pushchair and put that and her shopping in the boot whilst she tried to get him in the car. Gave several tutting ladies a quick lesson on autism which hopefully changed their opinions and may have made them more understanding for the future. Wish I could have helped more, I felt so sad for her.

MelanieSmooter Thu 21-Jun-18 20:34:45

Helped raise over £10,000 for a bereaved young mother.

It ended in tears.

snozzlemaid Thu 21-Jun-18 20:35:42

I was walking to my car past a bus stop and 3 lovely Scandinavian ladies who were on holiday asked me about bus times. It was raining heavily and they had just missed one as they were waiting on the wrong side of the road. They had quite a long wait but I showed them where they needed to wait and walked on. But I kept thinking about them so I turned back and offered them a lift to train station (where they were heading) even though I wasn't going that way.
They were so so grateful and were really lovely. Felt really good to do a good deed.

AndHarry Thu 21-Jun-18 20:38:14

Sleeping on my DD’s bedroom floor for months so I could hold her hand and she wouldn’t be scared. <shudder> at that memory. She was the clingiest, non-sleepiest baby ever.

OhTheRoses Thu 21-Jun-18 20:42:31

It's for the recipients to say.

DewDropsonKittens Thu 21-Jun-18 20:42:42

You're all so lovely.. making me remember there is kindness in the world still

Nothing vein about it.

SomeKnobend Thu 21-Jun-18 20:42:46

I sometimes pass a homeless lady on the way to work, when I do I get her a tea and a croissant. At lunch time I sometimes see a homeless man, if I see him on the way out to lunch I'll buy him lunch, if I only see him on the way back to the office from buying lunch then I give him my lunch.
I always try to be nice to people. If I see someone working on a house or painting a house, I tell them what a great job they've done.
If we get tokens in the supermarket to put in the charity box, I encourage the kids to give some to another child if there's one standing by the charity box thing.
I once saw someone open a fizzy drink bottle and get sprayed as it fizzed up - I'd just bought a McDonald's so I gave her the paper napkins.
We were once at soft play and a mum was getting really frustrated because her toddler had wet themselves and she had no spare clothes and the taxi wouldn't let them in now. I rearranged clothes to give the toddler my ds's trousers, my dd gave my ds her leggings (she had a skirt on) and I gave dd my jumper to tie around her to keep her legs warm. The lady was really relieved and grateful.
I really like kindness as an attitude and way of life, it makes life better for everyone. It's much easier in real life when you see people as people, rather than on the internet where people can seem just like words. Good reminder OP!

WonderBoy Thu 21-Jun-18 20:43:52

Some heartwarming stories on this thread. People like Ilikesweetpeas are our own personal quietly working heroes.

poorbuthappy Thu 21-Jun-18 20:45:29

Everytime I go shopping to Aldi and Tesco there's always a homeless chap sat outside. I never have money on me so I ask them if they want me to buy them anything. Last week it was deodorant and aa batteries for his torch.

SomeKnobend Thu 21-Jun-18 20:47:44

zispin that's really kind. I went to London with my first baby in a pram and every time I got to a set of stairs changing tube trains, someone would grab the pushchair and carry it with me for that flight of stairs. It was lovely and such a good example of every day kindness. It really warmed my heart as well as making my day so much easier than I'd feared it might be.

Shampooeeee Thu 21-Jun-18 20:52:21

I won an item in a charity auction, paid for it and then donated it to the second highest bidder. She seemed like a really lovely person who does a lot for charity. It was all done anonymously so she wouldn’t feel awkward.

littlemisscomper Thu 21-Jun-18 20:59:10

Not something I did, but I've always remembered my 7th birthday party for the kindness of another child. My mum had invited the whole class and a few neighbours. One of the children from my class was a little boy who'd just moved from China and couldn't speak a word of English. He was pretty lost during the games, not understanding what was going on. One of the neighbours, a little boy of about 9, gave him all the chocolate coins he'd collected in the treasure hunt. That made a big impression on me.

Gymbunny1986 Thu 21-Jun-18 21:06:53

Moved back to my parents for a few weeks so that my friend could leave a horrible mentally abusive relationship and have a safe place for her and her children to live.
At the time she had a 12 year old and a 6 week old baby. She had nowhere else to go.

I packed up my stuff and let her live rent and bill free in my house for 6/8 weeks while she got sorted with a new place and got a bit of money together to get what her and the kids needed.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Thu 21-Jun-18 21:14:15

Walking dc to school one day I heard the most awful howling, saw a car pulled over on the pavement with hazards on. Realised a man was sat sobbing as one of the 3 ddogs had its head stuck fast in the window. A dog has stood on the electric window button and it was jammed - strangling the dog!! I tried to jemmy it open but no use. The man - +ddogs were very distressed - as was I!!
Flagged a truck of builders down and demanded they do something!!
They managed to get the window down and free the poor ddog!!
Suggested to the man he had a few mins to get himself together.
I tied the dogs safely on the back seats.
Never forgot that awful sound.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: