Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

seminal moments in your life that the internet generation won't ever have......

(143 Posts)
speakingwoman Thu 21-Jun-18 11:30:10

Here's mine. I'm in Czechoslovakia in a room covered with postit notes of Czech vocab (I will later discover my postit on the door handle says "to handle" instead of "handle" causing much amusement to the locals).

No phone. All communication with my old life is a poste restante week away.

I turn Radio Ceskoslovensko (the only station I can find) on. A voice sings

"If I remember rightly your eyes were bluer than robin's eggs
My poetry was lousy you said
Where are you calling from?"

then it cuts out. No-one around me knows the reference. The fragment just stays in my head for a quarter of a century.

Your turn

cjt110 Thu 21-Jun-18 11:52:43

Recipe Books.

I have a shelf full of them which have laid dormant now for some time. I said to DH only last night that we may aswell pass them onto a charity shop as I never use them.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 21-Jun-18 12:13:37

Filling in forms to send off for purchases or information and waiting 28 days for delivery.

Having to go to the bus station in the city to find out which buses go where and when.

DM used to take us all over on public transport on day trips when we were kids. Fuck knows how she found out what was where, how to get there, what time it was open and so on.

Tell a teen these days that you will take them to a theme park 2 counties away if they can find out where it is, how to get there and much it costs to get in without using the internet and they probably won't believe you that it is even possible to do this.

sunshinesupermum Thu 21-Jun-18 12:16:05

Letters. Written on paper with a pen. Today's kids will never know the anticipation and excitement of receiving a love letter. Sad.

CourtneyLovely Thu 21-Jun-18 12:17:11

First records. I can remember the first single I bought and the first album I bought. DD can't remember what her first download was...

A4710Rider Thu 21-Jun-18 12:19:50

Another letter writing one. Writing and waiting to receive "blueys" during the first Gulf War

WeAreGerbil Thu 21-Jun-18 12:20:26

Having no idea what song lyrics are.

Waiting for NME to come out to find out about gigs.

Having to work out guitar chords to songs.

Waking up somewhere in London after a party with no idea where I am or where the tube is.

TookyClothespin Thu 21-Jun-18 12:23:48

I have a drawer full of letters written to me by my friend through childhood from when I moved away till the internet/mobile phones arrived. I still read them occasionally now.
She has the letters I wrote her.
Kids these days wouldn't have that as it's all text messages.

Stephisaur Thu 21-Jun-18 12:36:24

Having a penpal in another country that you have to actually WRITE to.

Mine was a girl from Pennsylvania that I met on holiday once. She was lovely.

My German penpal from school wrote to me, but then we both got Facebook and stay in sort of contact on there.

MissionItsPossible Thu 21-Jun-18 12:41:36

Eagerly awaiting holiday/nights out photos from the photo shop. None of this "oh I look awful, delete that group shot and take another one".

IntelligentYetIndecisive Thu 21-Jun-18 12:45:22

Having a finite number of flash bulbs for your camera and limiting the number of photos you take.

DelurkingAJ Thu 21-Jun-18 12:48:10

Missing my first choice university offer and waiting until the next morning for the letter to say I had a place regardless. One of my DFriends commented that he memory of me on results day was full of tissues. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone!

Conversely I wrote to DGM once a week for more than a decade. Wonderful!

StableGenius Thu 21-Jun-18 12:48:36

I advertised for penpals on Channel 4's Oracle teletext service. They showed my full address on the screen shock.

Two days later, the postman had to knock on the door because there was too much post to get through the letterbox grin.

I fell in love with one of the penpals but he went to university in the US so that was the end of that. No way I was waiting over a week for letters, and expensive phone calls were out of the question. Sigh.

HollowTalk Thu 21-Jun-18 12:52:50

OP, you do know that's a Joan Baez song, don't you?

Griefbacon Thu 21-Jun-18 12:54:08

Arranging a meet up at a railway station the first weekend after being dispatched off to my gap year placement without knowing my address. Trusting that we'd all be at the station at the same time and not knowing where anyone was, but knowing we'd be there and if we didn't, it was out luck out

dementedma Thu 21-Jun-18 13:01:48

making phone calls from an outdoor call box
When dd1 was born there was a payphone on wheels (mobile phone!) which the nurses would wheel to your bed so you could phone people to tell them the baby was born. You needed lots of coins

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Jun-18 13:02:18

Having to wait. For anything. A programme to watch, a song to come out, the shops to open.... waiting for stuff just kind of lengthened the enjoyment (not at the time, granted). My dc don’t have to wait for anything, it’s all instant, and they don’t appreciate it as much I reckon.

I think even a lot of adults these days have lost sight of waiting for things, saving for things, and not having perfect stuff but making do.

My sil (she’s 22) laughed about how impossible it must have been to take a decent photo of a baby without being able to take 50 and keep only the best one.

halfwitpicker Thu 21-Jun-18 13:04:00

Happily dumped in Lake George by the Greyhound. Straight from grizzly East Lancashire.

After wandering around eating maple candy for three hours I call the camp I'm supposed to work at, asking when they will pick me up. Oh, we don't need you. Oh, OK. hmm But another camp does 🤔 They'll be along to collect you.... Soon. Another 3 hours in Lake George. Good job it's a beautiful day. Minibus shows up. Are you the halfwitpicker from England? Yeah. Come on in!

grin

BorisHair Thu 21-Jun-18 13:04:50

In the late 80's I was at Victoria coach station with a huge rucksack heading for a university placement abroad. I'd never been abroad before.

I had a letter from university with the name of a person who would apparently meet me but no address of where I would be staying. I'd had to send a form with the details of my arrival time/location and had a number to call (from a payphone) if I was delayed.

Looking back it was terrifying but I survived!

StableGenius Thu 21-Jun-18 13:17:54

Heading to a PGCE interview, I noticed a shopkeeper putting out a fresh billboard for the evening paper - 'Thatcher Quits!'

I had the immense pleasure of being the one who broke the news to my fellow interviewees - and indeed my interviewers. We basically talked about this for the duration of the interview (and I got in).

Nowadays they'd all have news alerts on their phones.

WhoKnowsWhereTheW1neGoes Thu 21-Jun-18 13:28:23

Sleeping on the floor at a friend's house after a party, getting up the next morning, lazing around chatting, clearing up the mess and drinking coffee before getting in the car around lunchtime to head home. Car radio came on and announced the death of Princess Diana. Nowadays we would have known the moment we woke up.

IamAporcupine Thu 21-Jun-18 13:39:03

Having a finite number of flash bulbs for your camera and limiting the number of photos you take.

I'd totally forgotten about this!

Agree with PP re. waiting. Everything is (and it is expected to be) immediate now.

I also remember when I was doing assays at University writing down the references from an article and going to the library to find the source. Read, find new relevant ones, and repeat.

EstrellaDamn Thu 21-Jun-18 13:41:35

Going out with your friends not knowing if 'he' was out or which bar he might be in.

The anticipation 😍

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 21-Jun-18 13:45:12

Sleeping on the floor at a friend's house after a party, getting up the next morning, lazing around chatting, clearing up the mess and drinking coffee before getting in the car around lunchtime to head home. Car radio came on and announced the death of Princess Diana. Nowadays we would have known the moment we woke up

Ha, we did that too, only we were the hosts and didn't know Diana had died until another friend came round early afternoon to go out riding bikes with some of those who stayed over.

Openup41 Thu 21-Jun-18 13:51:43

Going to HMV and looking through records with my friends then eating in Wimpy's.

Checking the newspaper for cinema times and calculating how long the bus journey would be.

Checking the newspaper and listening to the radio for news updates.

Taking photographs and the excitement of waiting to see how well or badly they printed.

Everything is expected immediately. Even in my office, you are emailed and five minutes later your colleague calls to talk you through the same email.

I have noticed when watching a film or series, I look at my phone during the breaks and boring parts. 20 odd years ago I gave films and programmes my full attention.

I feel slightly overwhelmed with social media which is why I log out of apps so no temptation to browse when I have a spare minute or two. I feel much better for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: