Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Periods. Mothers starting age good indication?

(9 Posts)
MuckyMare Thu 21-Jun-18 03:40:03

So I didn't start my periods till around late 13/14 years old.

DD is just 9 and is having terrible mood swings and keeps saying her tummy is achy (And indicating very low down where womb is)

Am I completely off track to be worrying about Periods?
I can't see any other indicators of puberty.

loopylass13 Thu 21-Jun-18 03:45:23

My aunt started her period at 9 where as her female siblings were 14+. Her daughters and nieces have all been 13+. I think 9 is considered normal range if she does start (might want to google that). Have you looked at diet, could be constipation or infection etc.

Candyflip Thu 21-Jun-18 04:07:50

My mum was 15, I was 11, my daughter was also 11 but there were signs beforehand, she was heavy and had large boobs.

PhyllisWig Thu 21-Jun-18 06:30:35

My mum was 15ish but was small and light. I was 10 and heavy.

Derekmorganwasinmybed Thu 21-Jun-18 06:33:18

I was 12 my dd 10

isthistoonosy Thu 21-Jun-18 06:39:53

My mum and siblings were 14, 15-12 , I was almost 11. I was small but turned out that was my adult size, well at least until I got fat. I'd not rule it out.

catinasplashofsunshine Thu 21-Jun-18 06:39:54

I was 11 my DD was nearly 13.

Bucking population trends I was probably the same height and weight at 11 DD was at nearly 13.

No idea about my mother, she was only able to mention periods once, in a garbled whisper with a beetroot coloured face, behind the toilet door. She left me under the impression it would only happen once, as some kind of magical process which would turn me into a woman... Luckily the school talk a few months later cleared it up.

Greendayz Thu 21-Jun-18 06:40:51

I think other signs of puberty are a better indicator. It would be unlikely if she's not yet got breasts and/or hair in new places. Could be other causes of tummy ache, including anxiety.

In my family, DD, DM and DSis were all 11. I was 12.5.

saltedliquorice Thu 21-Jun-18 06:42:30

I was 121/2 and so was DD. We both have extremely heavy periods but mine were also extremely painful (dysmenorrhea). Where as DD says she doesn’t have any pain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: