Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Good use for 'lost time' with DC

(17 Posts)
porridgepie Wed 20-Jun-18 21:55:40

Looking at my schedule for the next year, it seems I'm going to have a fair amount of time with one of my DC (mostly the 5 year old) while the other DC are finishing school or doing an activity.. The sort of periods where there's not enough time to go home but you have to wait for 45 minutes or so..

What are your top tips for filling this time? So far I've thought of:

- Going to a cafe for a treat (but not all the time!)
- Doing homework / reading on a bench or on the car (but won't have much in reception)
- Getting anything we need from the shops (but we don't usually need anything..)

It just feels a bit unfair that the little one ends up with all this "bitty" time.. although it is 121 time I suppose..

porridgepie Wed 20-Jun-18 21:56:41

That should say in the car by the way, I don't propose to sit on the car grin

RandomMess Wed 20-Jun-18 21:58:16

Walks out together... (borrow a dog)
Rote learn times tables...

Millybingbong Wed 20-Jun-18 21:59:07

Local park?

TheFifthKey Wed 20-Jun-18 21:59:30

Feed some ducks
Go for a “spotting walk” - a slow walk round the neighbourhood looking for anything interesting
Go for a run together
Do a puzzle like a word search together
Paper games like squares or hangman
Read aloud or listen to an audiobook in the car
Play cards or a travel board game

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 20-Jun-18 21:59:58

Reading practice in the car?

wetsnow Wed 20-Jun-18 22:00:16

Library
Park
Audio book in the car

TheFifthKey Wed 20-Jun-18 22:00:19

Learn a skill like origami, tying knots or knitting

DorotheaHomeAlone Wed 20-Jun-18 22:00:57

Literally doesn’t matter what you do. They’ll love being alone with you. I remember snippets with my mum like this very fondly. She was always so busy and distracted at home/when siblings were around.

AndHarry Wed 20-Jun-18 22:02:42

I take DD for a hot chocolate in the cafe and to Pets At Home to visit the hamsters while DS plays football and she really looks forward to it.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 20-Jun-18 22:06:32

Portable games like Pass the Pigs and Yahtzee are great.

porridgepie Wed 20-Jun-18 22:06:32

Some great tips here. Definitely park weather permitting, and audio books / travel games.

Can't believe I didn't think of the library, it's right next to his school as well. That's a great idea.

Yes it will be lovely time with him! He will love some extra attention.

Alanamackree Wed 20-Jun-18 22:16:27

I used to keep a chapter book in the glove box to read in installments when they were little.

JudgeRulesNutterButter Wed 20-Jun-18 22:17:45

Top Trumps. Totally brilliant for their number recognition and reading, plus practically all kids love it.

But do yourself a favour and pick something interesting like wild animals, not My Little Pony or some shit like that grin

porridgepie Wed 20-Jun-18 22:21:57

Ooh Top Trumps.. We'll end up doing a dinosaur version I already predict that.

I'm actually starting to look forward to this now!

AveAtqueVale Wed 20-Jun-18 22:48:09

I used to love waiting in the car for things with my mum! We had great chats.

I think I’d have a sort of rotating list but maybe vary slightly depending on weather. So reading, homework, walk in the park, card game, board game, books at the library, take it in turns to pick music you like on the radio, get them to help you do something like a meal plan for the week or a plan for what to do at the weekend.

Also what about things like little craft kits that aren’t too fiddly? Cross stitch? Or can you knit or crochet? If so you could start to teach them. You could paint each other’s faces if you’re feeling brave and give other dc a shock when you collect them grin.

Xiaoxiong Wed 20-Jun-18 23:13:39

I have this every Saturday when DS1 and 2 do an activity one after the other. I sit with them and do any homework or reading from school so it's out of the way for the rest of the weekend and then we often go for a walk or to a local cafe. I think I get more out of each of them one on one and we often have a chat about our week's "highs and lows" and things they might be worried about. We also do logic puzzles and crosswords together. Oh and sudoku and gogen too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: