Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Surely this is fine to give baby?

(31 Posts)
booksNstuff Wed 20-Jun-18 17:43:22

Baby is 6 m
Ebf and I said to hv I will prob try some veg and maybe baby yogurt.....
She said no to the baby yogurt (it’s natural
And low sugar) she said no dairy yet ??
Apparently might be too much for digestive system ...
But babies who drink formula are having dairy from birth so unless an allergy why’s it a problem ??

Hausfullofgrls Wed 20-Jun-18 17:44:11

I don't see a problem with it. Give a small amount in case of allergy but have fun.

Goostacean Wed 20-Jun-18 17:45:26

As far as I understand, the no dairy rule is to discourage women from moving baby onto dairy milk as a drink before the age of 1, because it’s not good for them. Yoghurt and cheese should be fine, as far as my reading tells me. I’m feeding it to mine! 😊

booksNstuff Wed 20-Jun-18 17:46:30

I just didn’t understand as formula is dairy and fine for newborns so why can’t my baby have some yogurt ??! She kept saying it’s too soon !

GruffaloPants Wed 20-Jun-18 17:47:16

Might be worth asking this. My DD had a milk allergy. Her consultant felt it may have been triggered by formula given the day she was born - she was ebf after that. Luckily she outgrew it.

MrsJayy Wed 20-Jun-18 17:48:59

I think some advice is yogurt isn't a great first weaning food but Im not sure why something to do with intolerances, but come on it is a little bit of yoghurt I wouldn't get too worked up about it ☺

Pebblespony Wed 20-Jun-18 17:52:31

I gave DD natural yogurt from 6 months. She was weaned early though ( she was a bit of a monster)

InNeedO Wed 20-Jun-18 17:54:39

well i gave both ny dc yoghurts at 5 monthhmm they love them and still swallow the 6pack as soon as were back from the shopgrin

DrWhy Wed 20-Jun-18 17:58:30

I think they like you to give mainly veg first so they don’t develop a preference for seeet things, then incorporate fruit, then other things. They used to want you to delay all sorts of things like eggs and wheat in case of allergy but a recent study has suggested that introducing them early actually reduces the allergy risk! You should make sure that the dairy doesn’t start to replace the breastmilk or formula in your child’s field too much as these have a different balance of nutrients (formula is based on cows milk but altered).
I’d probably steer clear of baby yoghurts just because they are sweetened for a little while. Start with veg then add in fruit and other things. Ours started with a bread roll grabbed in a restaurant, which I’m pretty sure is not in any guide and he seems to have survived grin

Chocolateismyvice Wed 20-Jun-18 18:00:48

I gave my son natural yoghurt from about 6.5m, either plain or flavoured with fruit (whole or puree). He loved it and still does, will eat gallons of the stuff if allowed grin

I think the advice is no milk as main drink until 1 but milk on cereal, cheese, yoghurt, etc is okay for 6 months.

dannydyerismydad Wed 20-Jun-18 18:03:30

There used to be a recommended order to introduce solid foods when they were introduced at an earlier age.

Now that the recommendation is to wait until 6 months, there's no need to worry about any foods not being suitable (aside from honey and whole nuts/whole grapes).

Sounds like your health visitor may be muddling the old and new guidelines.

Eddierussett Wed 20-Jun-18 18:06:33

We gave natural yoghurt with some fruit puree stirred in from pretty early on in weaning

Kidssendingmenuts Wed 20-Jun-18 18:12:14

My kids loved those petit filous yoghurts at that age! Do it.

GlassSuppers Wed 20-Jun-18 18:15:35

Yogurt was my DDs first food at 5 months and she's turned out alright!
We started with yogurt and then went on to BLW which was amazing.
She's 2.5 now and eats everything you put in front of her.
And I mean everything!
Also, she has no intolerance to anything either so the yogurt did no harm at all.

Racecardriver Wed 20-Jun-18 18:15:43

I was given yoghurt as a first food. Had terrible digestive problems for days (poos so bad that the skin was peeling for days). My parents were told this was common with yoghurt. No idea if it's true in general though but there's my anecdote.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 20-Jun-18 18:18:40

If I recall correctly, formula is heavily processed, to turn the cows milk into something suitable for a human baby, so it is adapted for the human gut, whilst yoghurt might not be - I would assume that is why the HV was advising against the yoghurt.

rogueone Wed 20-Jun-18 18:20:07

They advise against yogurts because of its high sugar content. They advise natural yogurt with some fruit purée. Petit filou is the worst offender I believe for added sugar.

KoshaMangsho Wed 20-Jun-18 18:20:44

It is usually advised to wait with yoghurt. The petit filous things are very sugary. I have always given plain Greek yoghurt with fruit purée that I have made stirred in. It’s a healthier alternative. But it is best, for texture and taste reasons to start with veg and fruit.

Enidblyton1 Wed 20-Jun-18 18:21:56

As pp have said, I wouldn’t be worried from the dairy perspective, but I would start weaning with vegetables only - so that your baby develops a taste for savoury flavours.
Even low sugar yoghurt is sweet. With my first DD, I started with fruit - banana and apple. And I’m sure I gave a petit filous (very sugary!) quite early on. I don’t think it was any surprise my DD developed a sweet tooth.
If giving yoghurt I would do full fat, natural yoghurt.

dupainduvin Wed 20-Jun-18 18:26:23

yes, i think you're supposed to get them to love spinach puree first! Good luck with that ;) My DD loved yogurt and fruit puree but does have a sweet tooth. It also used to give her very explosive runny poops - good for when they are constipated.

Madratlady Wed 20-Jun-18 18:36:25

It's fine to give anything other than honey, anything really salty and whole nuts to babies over 6 months, assuming baby doesn't have any allergies or special dietary requirements. No need to puree and spoon unless you really want to - baby led weaning is a bit messy but easier.

Pebblespony Wed 20-Jun-18 19:43:49

Babies will eat full fat plain yogurt. No need for the sweet ones.

Pebblespony Wed 20-Jun-18 19:44:43

Sorry, just saw previous posts.

TartanHare Wed 20-Jun-18 19:45:50

Alpro yoghurt are fine for babies

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 20-Jun-18 19:46:59

Ds was ebf and I think I sort of overloaded him with dairy when weaning... triggered cmpa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: