Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Separate loo, or not? Argh

(15 Posts)
Solasum Wed 20-Jun-18 12:30:58

Have just moved into a 3 bed flat (one adult, one child, and frequent visitors).

Currently there is a bathroom containing bath and sink and a separate loo. It is the only loo in the house.

Am really torn on whether to combine the two or not. There isn’t currently a basin in the loo, but a tiny one could go in.

Thoughts?

MunchMunch Wed 20-Jun-18 12:32:46

What about changing the toilet to one with the sink fitted onto the cistern?

MunchMunch Wed 20-Jun-18 12:34:01

Forgot the pic...

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 20-Jun-18 12:37:28

Keep them separate, the child will turn into a teenager. 'Nuff said.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Wed 20-Jun-18 12:44:16

Separate, nothing worse than hopping outside a bathroom while someone soaks for hours.

Solasum Wed 20-Jun-18 17:06:55

@Munchmunch logically I know that water is clean, but I can’t help going ‘ick’ at that somehow

Seeline Wed 20-Jun-18 17:16:12

Definitely keep separate. Teenagers take hours in the bathroom. Some also take hours in the loo.

MunchMunch Wed 20-Jun-18 17:41:34

Solasum yeah same here, it's a really good idea but I personally couldn't have one.

PanPanPanPing Wed 20-Jun-18 17:46:29

I'd say keep them separate for the moment.

But do you have, say, an understairs cupboard area which you could turn into a tiny cloakroom and install a second loo - a macerator one? OK, macerator loos are a bit tricky, but at least if you have two loos then you could knock the bathroom and original loo into one room.

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 20-Jun-18 18:35:23

also seperate,makes life so much easier

MrsPear Wed 20-Jun-18 18:37:39

Separate as not everyone closes the lid when they flush. Put a little basin and mirror in job done. Look for the cloak room ones.

Fabricwitch Wed 20-Jun-18 18:46:49

Keep them separate but get a small basin into the loo.

Stefoscope Wed 20-Jun-18 21:34:57

Another vote for keeping them separate and adding a small sink to the toilet. Our second toilet is a converted airing cupboard so probably only about 2' x 3', it has the smallest washbasin I've ever seen, but it does the job.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 21-Jun-18 10:12:48

Could you put in an ensuite - even if just toilet and sink? Then you and dc always have somewhere each to go and visitors always just have to fight over main family bathroom. It is tricky in a flat though if you have limited space.

Solasum Thu 21-Jun-18 11:49:20

Thanks for your thoughts. I don’t think another loo is an option, as the rooms aren’t really big enough to accommodate an en suite. Plus ventilation would be an issue. Bathroom isn’t ventilated.

Although there are cupboards elsewhere in the flat they don’t have the ceiling height to accommodate an adult, plus are on the wrong side of the building for pipes. So I think we are stuck with current location.

The bathroom is really grotty at the moment, so I am having difficulties envisaging it looking decent. It is a small awkward space, there is a lot (well a bit) of space round the loo. Adding them together would make a bigger room. But due to constraints with pipes the loo would have to face into a wall where the door used to be.

Can anyone recommend a mini basin?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: