Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I keep waking up at 5am

(61 Posts)
MuckyMare Wed 20-Jun-18 05:31:24

confused

3 mornings in a row now. I'm knackered by lunchtime. I'm trying not to go to sleep during the day (I'm on meds that make me sleepy)

Anyone else got a messed up sleep cycle?

Butterflyrosebud Wed 20-Jun-18 05:34:17

Yes me! 4.30am today. I’m 38 weeks pregnant which I guess is the reason for it.

My problem is I get so tired that I nap during the day, no routine on maternity leave certainly doesn’t help!

blueskypink Wed 20-Jun-18 05:37:10

3.30 am for me. Got a long and stressful day in the office today. Great help facing it on 4 hours sleep 🙄

Got to get up at 6.30 so wondering whether to just give in and get up now.

acornsandnuts Wed 20-Jun-18 05:38:01

I rarely sleep past 5.30 in the summer, the birds wake me and I’m so aware it’s light outside, I don’t mind it actually. I’m already showered and put some washing in in the hope to hang it out before the rain mid morning. I am knackered by 9pm but usually go to sleep aroun 10.

The winter month however, when the alarm goes off at 6.45 I feel like I could sleep another 6 hours.

blamethecat Wed 20-Jun-18 05:40:13

Yup 5-5.30 most days, even have blackout curtains which made no difference. I'm so tired of it.

RubyGrace17 Wed 20-Jun-18 05:42:19

Me too sad.

Luglio Wed 20-Jun-18 05:46:48

Yeah. Standard.

DinosApple Wed 20-Jun-18 05:47:09

Me too. It's a usual summer thing for me. I tend to go to bed around 10pm though.

MuckyMare Wed 20-Jun-18 05:47:52

Yesterday I got up and was productive but I just want to go back to sleep today.

My curtains are dark grey and quite heavy but inthink it's the birds waking me.

LuMarie Wed 20-Jun-18 05:56:56

Good morning, me too!

It’s the light in the summer that gets me. If I’ve gone to bed early enough I like it, get up gently at about six and start the day without a screaming rush.

If I haven’t been able to go to bed early enough, I feel like crap because I’ve woken up in the middle of my night and still need those extra couple of hours!

Black out curtains or an eye mask help with the light if that’s it and you don’t fancy/don’t have time for a 9pm bedtime.

What time to you get to bed?

Are you stressed or super overworked in your head? That gets me too, any time of year, then it is just waking up in middle of night in dark and can’t go back to sleep. There are natural supplements you can take to help (I take melatonin, pharmacy can help, natural and doesn’t put you to sleep but helps you stay asleep), plus the usual insomnia battling things, no screens as long as possible before bed, phone out of bedroom (trust me, you wake up and your head says reach for it to check whatever and bam’, Brain is awake), try to wind down with routine before getting into bed, even if it’s just a quiet fifeteen mins to yourself with camomile tea and magazine or book (no screens!), wash face and moisturizer and a few deep breathes thinking of nothing but your breathe before sleeping.

IsMyUserNameRubbish Wed 20-Jun-18 05:57:59

Yep, me too been happening the last few wwwks when half four five o'clock I'm wide awake.

IsMyUserNameRubbish Wed 20-Jun-18 05:58:39

See, that early I can't spell right. 😂

LuMarie Wed 20-Jun-18 06:00:02

Ah pretty/stupid birdssmile

Ear plugs?

I live in a city that is usually quite peaceful and on all the residential streets throughout. I accidentally chose an apartment on a police/ambulance/crazy drivers beeping section of road. Drives me crazy, it’s like New York with the sirens all night.

I’m moving. Ear plugs are less drastic thoughsmile

KathyBeale Wed 20-Jun-18 06:00:33

Me too. I have an eye mask which works but I have lost it. I think it might be under my sheet or in my duvet cover as i’ve not seen it since I changed the bed! Definitely recommend them though.

exLtEveDallas Wed 20-Jun-18 06:06:56

I don't think I've slept past 0530 since 2004!
(Only a slight exaggeration)

For me it was a combination of baby, bad back & stress, but be warned, it becomes a 'thing' very quickly. I still have a bad back, but the 'baby' is now 13 and the stress is gone - however the early rising remains.

I decided to embrace it. My hour alone in the morning is my 'me time' and I love the solitude - I get really pissed off if DH wakes early and ruins it.

TheWomp Wed 20-Jun-18 06:09:08

Me too. I'm so very tired.

speakout Wed 20-Jun-18 06:12:03

That's normal for me- 7 days a week, have been like this for years. I like it.

I like it. I can get so much done in the morning before the clattering masses start their day.

I go to bed at 9pm, Asleep by 10pm.

JessicaJonesJacket Wed 20-Jun-18 06:18:23

Me too. It's the birds. Everyone else in the house sleeps through them.

MrsICantSayMyName Wed 20-Jun-18 06:22:40

Join the club

speakout Wed 20-Jun-18 06:30:48

I don't hear the birds- I wear ear plugs.

I love getting up when everyone else is asleep.

No demands, It's quiet, I can have a leisurely coffee, put laundry on to wash, check my emails. and just enjoy the relaxation of the morning or make an early start on work.
I am self employed and work from home.
Sometimes I have my daily work finished by 9am.

dundermiflin Wed 20-Jun-18 06:31:05

Yes me. Then I'm exhausted by 3pm and have a nap. Then the cycle goes on.
I wake up and start stressing about all the things I need to do!

VanillaSugar Wed 20-Jun-18 06:36:23

The perfect sleep cycle is apparently asleep by 10pm, awake at 6am. Easy in the summer but not sure about January!

LuMarie Wed 20-Jun-18 06:39:51

@VanillaSugar

Agree! I’m a righteous peaceful morning yoga hippy tea early bed up with sun person in summer.

In winter I put on 10kgs and hibernatesmile

JeezYouLoon Wed 20-Jun-18 06:49:17

Me too! 5am, ping wide awake hmm

On the upside I've hung two loads of washing out and been for a 5k run. Annoyingly I'm at work today so no chance of an afternoon nap, I figure I'll hopefully sleep tonight I won't though. Tomorrow morning I've set aside a 5am date with the ironing board.

ihatethecold Wed 20-Jun-18 06:52:35

Since I started the Keto/ low carb diet I’m waking at 5am everyday.
Seems to be a common problem doing this way of eating.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: