Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is Hayfever Debilitating?

(81 Posts)
WatchedSportAllWeekendAgain Tue 19-Jun-18 20:58:52

I suffer from mild hay fever. My DS suffers awfully- today his eyes were swollen but he got up at 6am to go to work.

I’ve driven 2 hrs today & have been in meetings all afternoon. I got in at 8.20 this evening. DP was off today & agreed to get food for dinner tonight.
He has not moved from the sofa all day so we have no dinner due to his hay fever.

I don’t want to minimise how uncomfortable & unpleasant it is so I’m really just wondering if it really is debilitating?

Quartz2208 Tue 19-Jun-18 21:00:53

a bad attack can be - they are rare (I have had maybe 10-15 in the 25 years I have had hayfever) but when I have had one it has completely wiped me out

PickAChew Tue 19-Jun-18 21:01:38

It is, but it's not that debilitating and the cool damp environment of a supermarket chiller aisle is one of the most soothing places to be.

DaisyDreaming Tue 19-Jun-18 21:03:50

A relative of mine can push through it most days but before they had some treatment years ago they sometimes couldn’t work, couldn’t drive, could barely see on a bad day as his eyes were so swollen shut. If it’s out of character for your DP and he isn’t someone who calls a cold the flu and takes himself to bed for it then I would be sympathetic

rainbowfudgee Tue 19-Jun-18 21:04:14

It depends on the pollen count but yes, the congestion makes me very drowsy and flu- like. My whole face gets extremely sensitive and so uncomfortable, blocked itchy ears, nose running non stop and burning eyes.
One of my friends recently needed steroids due to hayfever. She was in the early stages of anaphylaxis and her face was swelling.
This year is a very bad season for pollen and the struggle is real!

elliejjtiny Tue 19-Jun-18 21:04:44

It can be. It's like asthma, you can be like my dh who occasionally needs a blue inhaler or you can be someone who has a nebulizer at home and is hospitalised with it a lot.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 19-Jun-18 21:09:58

DD's having her first really bad bout of hayfever at the moment. She's 10. She's finding it distracting, but she managed to get up 50 minutes earlier than usual, walk to school pulling a wheelie case and get on a coach yesterday morning. She was actually quite stoic about it. Is your DP usually a hypochondriac?

sausagerole Tue 19-Jun-18 21:10:29

It can be horrible - I've been really rough with it this year, been having to regularly rinse my sinuses otherwise I've got sore, itchy throat, itchy inner ears, swollen itchy eyes and totally blocked nose. It is really exhausting

imsoboredwithitall Tue 19-Jun-18 21:11:27

YES! And this year is really bad. My DS has ended up in A&E due to such a bad flare up

WatchedSportAllWeekendAgain Tue 19-Jun-18 21:13:11

I’ve never really seen him ill before so unsure if he’s a hypochondriac.

I didn’t want to be unsympathetic so thank you for your replies. Looks like cheese on toast for dinner 😂

massivelyouting Tue 19-Jun-18 21:13:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Megsmcgoo Tue 19-Jun-18 21:14:36

Absolutely, for me anyway. I have to have an inhaler, tablets, eye drops and nasal spray, it’s horrible and I mainly try and stay inside

pinkhorse Tue 19-Jun-18 21:15:39

I have it worse than anyone I know and even have steroids for it but I've never had to lay on the sofa all day because of it.

massivelyouting Tue 19-Jun-18 21:16:34

Floppyspanielears Tue 19-Jun-18 21:17:29

Yes it can be debilitating. It sounds like he is really suffering.

GrapesAreMyJam Tue 19-Jun-18 21:18:04

I've not been sleeping for more than an hour for the past fortnight because my nose is so blocked up and breathing with my mouth open causes my chest to get all wheezy.

My eyes are constantly streaming/swollen and I am so so tired all of the time. I'd rather have a bad cold. At least there is an end in sight

massivelyouting Tue 19-Jun-18 21:19:23

JudgeRulesNutterButter Tue 19-Jun-18 21:23:42

It can be. I’ve been sent home from work before because I’ve been sneezing too much to hold a conversation. Literally. My whole face itches, my face swells, even my ears itch, it is exhausting. I would get a post-nasal drip and that would give me bloating and stomach aches too. Light would be too bright even with my eyes shut. Awful.

That said, I’m having a great year on fexofenadine and Avamys spray (lots of both), I urge severe sufferers to keep pestering your GP if you haven’t already!

rebelrosie12 Tue 19-Jun-18 21:24:59

Yes it can be. I struggle to do anything for 2 days after a bad attack.

Pebblespony Tue 19-Jun-18 21:27:58

I've been sent home from work a few times too. Literally couldn't sit at a desk and tap a computer keyboard.

mintich Tue 19-Jun-18 21:28:06

When I was taking ineffective medication , I could be wiped out by it. Perhaps trying different meds would help

OllyBJolly Tue 19-Jun-18 21:28:42

After two quite easy years, this has been the worst yet! It's setting off asthma attacks.

I'm very lucky in that I only suffer from hay fever for a very short time - usually 3-4 weeks. I usually can't drive because my eyes are so itchy. Hoping tonights rain damps things down a bit.

massivelyouting Tue 19-Jun-18 21:29:34

stayathomer Tue 19-Jun-18 21:32:02

First time properly having it this year and had to pull over driving a number of times collecting kids as eyes were stinging and streaming, was sneezing, had migrane and throat was in bits. DS was sent home from school ladt year because his eyes puffed out and were streaming and he could barely breathe. Never thought anything that I had previously thought of a few sneezes could be like this! (Perhaps give DH some sympathy? Meant honestly in the nicest way possible is just my DH kind of went 'oh that's terrible'but you could see he thought I sas being a drama queen!)

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jun-18 21:32:09

Yes it's debilitating; your body is fighting off an allergy all the time and it is harder to breathe which leaves you more tired as well as the exhausting effect of struggling to breathe all the time. And many of the remedies also leave one zapped too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: