Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Walk me through deferred entry to primary...

(7 Posts)
TheVanguardSix Tue 19-Jun-18 14:03:42

Thank you kindly in advance.
DS is 4 and ASD.
I am just so sure he won't be ready to start in September.
And I just want to know how it goes, what your own experiences have been, did you regret it?
And what did you do in that year? Did your DC repeat nursery and then go straight into year 1?
So many questions.
So much anxiety about starting reception.
His language is good but he does not always answer questions and does not alway understand what is being said to him. So his speech is actually ok, but his echolalia and difficulty with comprehension (improving slowly) have me wondering if deferred entry might be the best way forward.
Thanks again.

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Jun-18 14:11:39

There are a couple of approaches.

Depending on when his birthday is, you can take the place for this Sept but delay his start - he doesn't have to start until the term after his 5th birthday. So if he was born in Jan, say, he doesn't have to start until Spring term. This is your legal right.

If you actually want to defer his place for him to start reception in Sept 19, you need to start that conversation with the admissions authority asap - it should really have been done at the point of application, as you essentially are applying next year from scratch again but with permission from the admission authority to do so out of year. You may find them willing to defer his reception place for a year without you doing another application, but you need to talk to them.

You don't have the absolute right to start him in reception next year, but you do have the right to ask, and they must decide on the merits and needs of this case and not have a blanket position. Some LEAs/admissions authorities are more flexible than others...!

myknickersknackersknockers Tue 19-Jun-18 14:11:48

I’m a nursery teacher and my city council now allow summer born children to defer their place meaning they can start the following year. Is this what you are thinking?

I know to defer a place in my education authority it’s really difficult and needs lots of professionals to agree ansnit rarely happens.

I’ve encouraged two summer born children’s families to defer their school place last year and it was totally the right decision for both. One has an ASD diagnosis and he is now ready for school after an extra year in nursery.

The other has global learning difficulties ans may still find school hrs but has been given the best chance by starting a year later.

I don’t know anyone who has regretted deferring a place but do know families who wish they had deferred them.

MrsKoala Tue 19-Jun-18 14:25:49

We were thinking of deferring our late August DS but after discussing it with the LEA and reading all the info we decided against it.

We were told (this may differ from place to place) that he would only be accepted to start reception the following year if there was a reason (ie a learning or physical reason) and then at the end of each year he would be assessed to see if he could re-enter his correct cohort. Then when he went to secondary there was also a risk he may just start in year 8 rather than 7 to join his cohort anyway. We decided this would be too traumatic for him and it would be better for him to start reception this year with his friends.

It's really really hard and we agonised over it. Especially as he was meant to be mid sept but was 3 weeks early.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You will always question and doubt yourself, but you must do what you think is best.

Idontevencareanymore Tue 19-Jun-18 17:09:28

I'm currently in the process of either deffering or entering my ds in part time.
He's 4 with speech, behavioural, social and fine gross motor skills issues (on a wait list for a paediatric appointment so won't label)
I've been Told the evidence to defer him until 2019 is so great for me and he'd be able to enter into reception if we chose. But this is based on reports from the professionals we've had observe him.

It's ultimately down to the Head of the school apparently and the La just register what we choose, we would have to reapply from scratch though.
This apparently differs per authority.

It's worth booking a meeting with the head and talking through. I'm meeting with ours tomorrow along with the Sen teacher to see what's best.

TheVanguardSix Wed 20-Jun-18 10:43:18

Wow thank you all so much for your experiences and insight!

I should have embarked on this much sooner but it's really difficult when DH and I are on different pages. DH has a sort of 'jump in/sink or swim' approach and doesn't like to admit that DS's autism colours that approach- in fact, it goes very much against his approach.

We accepted a placement for reception at DD's school. It's one of these 'great' schools that everyone wants their kid to go to but the SENCO situation is desperately poor. The head is acting as SENCO lead as they've lost two SENCOs in one year. They're hiring but it's been 4 months since the last one left and she hasn't been replaced (other than with the head who has blanked my appointment requests entirely- she doesn't even know who I am, despite DD attending the school). I was very pressured by DH to send DD to the primary she's at now. I wasn't sure. But it's worked out well. I can't see the shining, glimmering, greatness of it all, but DD is happy there and that's what matters. It's one of those schools that's fine if your issues are standard. But I am realising very quickly that it would be the wrong place for DS.

He is currently at a nursery attached to a local primary school around the corner from home. The school is not academically a shining star, but what it has in spades is a sense of community and every staff member knows and acknowledges every child. It's a very warm, fuzzy place which suits ANY kid, but especially DS, whose transition to reception will be far easier. All the staff are aware of his needs and the SENCO has been on board.

I don't know what I was thinking really. I fell into the whole "2 kids at different schools will be a nightmare" trap and actually, I can manage two different runs.

I think I'll end up putting him on the waiting list of his current primary school and hope to get a place there. It's under-subscribed, his current primary is, so he'll get a place quite quickly, I imagine.
I really regret not fighting my corner on this one with DH.

I thank you all for your contributions and wisdom! I am very grateful to you!

MuddyForestWalks Wed 20-Jun-18 10:49:44

I am deferring DD. She has verbal dyspraxia and her preschool say she has social and attention issues too. She will be 4 in July but will start reception in 2019. We live in Essex, it is surprisingly easy here.

We spoke to all the local headteachers to find out their policy for deferrals. One local school is favourable, the other opposed. Then we informed Essex, who contacted the schools themselves. We will fill in a paper application in the next admissions round, with a tick box for deferred reception start. Only issue would be if we didn't get a place in out preferred school, but we are in the priority catchment area with 2 class entry.

It isn't too late to change your mind about this year. You could speak to the Head at the other school, decline your son's place and reapply in November.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: