Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pond safety in holiday cottage

(76 Posts)
loveka Mon 18-Jun-18 21:00:05

I need some advice from parents about the pond in my garden please.

The pond is high up- waist height for me. There are 2 shallow ponds that have a pump and fountain. One runs into the other. They are fairly small, maybe 3 feet by 2 feet each.

Do I need to fill them in? Or could I cover them in some way?

As a parent, what would you think if you turned up to a holiday cottage and found this? I don't have children so don't know if the fact that it is high up makes a difference. Really appreciate any advice, thanks.

QOD Mon 18-Jun-18 21:02:13

Metal grid fixed over. Or fill. I’d have freaked when Dd was small

Racecardriver Mon 18-Jun-18 21:04:41

My immediate thought would be ffs. Not least of all because both my DC were obsessed with trying to drown themselves from the ages of 1 to 3. I would be sorely tempted to just leave really. Fill it in I suppose

NapQueen Mon 18-Jun-18 21:08:03

I wouldnt pick a holiday cottage with a pond and small dc. So if you keep the ponds make sure it is clear on your listing.

Shampaincharly Mon 18-Jun-18 21:11:46

Definitely need to cover or fill in.
You could say adults only, no children.

beargrass Mon 18-Jun-18 21:13:17

Echo others. If it wasn't listed, I'd be trying to sort an alternative upon seeing it. Ponds are just so dangerous with small children.

For background - we had one in our house but filled it in for safety. Even before DD arrived, it worried the life out of me when friends visited.

So either a fixed grill over the top or fill in. If it's holiday place, how would you look after the pond(s) when you're not there? Filling in may be easiest.

claraschu Mon 18-Jun-18 21:14:07

I would not have minded at all when my kids were little. Can't you just let people know about the pond, so they can decide for themselves?

halfwitpicker Mon 18-Jun-18 21:17:28

It'd be a major deterrent put it that way.

ScattyCharly Mon 18-Jun-18 21:17:32

Being as high as your waist makes no difference. Some toddlers can climb like actual monkeys!
Cover or fill.

halfwitpicker Mon 18-Jun-18 21:18:07

Also, it doesn't even look like a pond - confusing for kids.

FlibbertyGiblets Mon 18-Jun-18 21:18:09

List clearly as unfenced.

Have a look at bookings over time - if you find that uptake isn't optimal then you could consider sturdy grating or filling in at that point?

watchingwithinterest Mon 18-Jun-18 21:20:02

Adults only - no issue

Famiies metal grill fully secured and bullet proof (as we have over our well) accident waiting to happen for families, and the consequences could be life changing for you and the family.

Some people do not understand the full dangers of water and toddlers/young children until it is too late.

Petalflowers Mon 18-Jun-18 21:20:32

Could you put a fence around it?

Definantly list it on your description.

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 18-Jun-18 21:22:55

I wouldn't have rented it while DC were little. I have seen very sturdy metal grilles that would stop toddlers from falling in

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 18-Jun-18 21:25:50

Just make sure the details say there is a pond in the garden , and parents need to ensure their child’s safety
Then it gives families the details , and they won’t book if they are worried about it
Or just advertise it as adults only

QuinquiremeOfNineveh Mon 18-Jun-18 21:26:40

Even if you include it in the description, very likely some people won't read the description properly, or won't appreciate the danger. I'd cover it with a grille.

frasier Mon 18-Jun-18 21:28:32

You can get some beautiful grills made, doesn’t have to look like a grate.

OutsideContextProblem Mon 18-Jun-18 21:36:05

It doesn’t have to be adults only, just no pre-schoolers. (I’m assuming that these are deep enough for a seven year old to stand up in them).

I’ve rented holiday cottages with open water with toddlers. They had very clear warnings on the rental and I took a view on the layout and whether my holiday plans involved letting the DC run around the garden without close supervision: because they were too young for this to be an option anyway then I was relaxed about the pond.

brizzledrizzle Mon 18-Jun-18 21:39:43

I wouldn't book a place with a pond like that if I had small children, therefore I'd be really annoyed if I turned up to find that the accommodation I'd booked was totally unsuitable and would be asking for a refund and compensation for a ruined holiday.

qwertyuiopy Mon 18-Jun-18 22:19:01

What am I looking at, it looks like a garden wall 🤔 ?

BifsWif Mon 18-Jun-18 22:23:19

I wouldn’t book either. It’s just not worth the risk.

DinosApple Mon 18-Jun-18 22:41:49

If I was you I would say no under 8's due to uncovered pond in garden. It's that or get a grill made to go over.

Personally I wouldn't fill the pond in as they are so good for wildlife, I grew up with one, and my DC have grown up with one. Both well covered though.

loveka Mon 18-Jun-18 22:43:11

The pond is on top of the wall.

purpleorchidwhite Tue 19-Jun-18 02:10:34

We had a sturdy wire 'mesh' type thing over ours. Similar to concrete reinforcement grid.

It took the weight of two children easily and didn't detract from the pond.
I'm guessing with a rental property you'd need to secure it firmly so it couldn't be lifted up by accident.

Ours was trapped by large stones flagging the pond,

qwertyuiopy Tue 19-Jun-18 02:23:31

Gosh well I think kids would be straight in, climb the wall. I couldn’t even see it was a pond beyond there so others might not either.

Accident waiting to happen I’m afraid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: