Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Party bag sweets that are vegetarian AND Halal

(51 Posts)
TheBrilloPad Mon 18-Jun-18 20:15:18

Does such a thing exist?! I need to provide party bag type sweets for DD's party bags. She has lots of Hindu and Muslim friends, so sweets need to be both vegetarian and halal. It really needs to be sweets, because it's hot and chocolate will melt and be a pain for her teacher/kids/parents etc.

I have ruled out
Haribo (Gelatin - not suitable for veggies)
Swizzles "lots of lollies"/"bumper pack" bags (contains Gelatin)
Maoams - Gelatin.

What solution am I missing?! What sweets do vegetarian Muslims eat?!

mrsnoon Mon 18-Jun-18 20:17:26

You can get halal Haribo, try an Asian supermarket.

MagicFajita Mon 18-Jun-18 20:17:48

I can't think of the brand but in my local supermarket they definitely sell bags of halal jelly-style sweets. Sorry that I can't recall the brand but they do exist.

PurpleDaisies Mon 18-Jun-18 20:17:58

Skittles

PretABoire Mon 18-Jun-18 20:18:06

Surely if it’s vegetarian it will be halal, so jelly tots, starburst, chalky ones like love hearts and refreshers?

SeagullsStopItNow Mon 18-Jun-18 20:18:35

You buy Halal marshmallows, I’ve got them from Tesco before.
And I’m sure you can get gelatin free Percy Pigs from M&S.

PurpleDaisies Mon 18-Jun-18 20:18:37

You just need any vegetarian sweets which don’t contain alcohol.

KirstenRaymonde Mon 18-Jun-18 20:18:56

Chupa chups lollies are vegan/halal.

xTinkerhellx Mon 18-Jun-18 20:19:15

Halal Haribo.

And actually check your local supermarkets. Eid was on Friday, they may have some halal/vegetarian treats that re reduced now.

SeagullsStopItNow Mon 18-Jun-18 20:19:16

*you can buy!

Helloflamingogo Mon 18-Jun-18 20:19:38

You get halal Haribo in most supermarkets. Go to the world food aisle. If they’re veggie they’ll be halal.

Nemesia Mon 18-Jun-18 20:20:20

Haribo giant strawberries are vegetarian. Otherwise M&S have a great selection of veggie jelly sweets.

WhenEnoughIsEnough Mon 18-Jun-18 20:20:20

Anything that is vegetarian will be halal. When I had to do the same thing recently I went to a local sweet shop and asked if they had any vegetarian sweets and I bought them buy the box (like the 2p 5p and10p sweets) and then made them up in fancy clingfilm cones (cheap from amazon).

PurpleDaisies Mon 18-Jun-18 20:20:43

Halal haribo

These can contain gelatine sk atebt veggie.

mrsnoon Mon 18-Jun-18 20:21:17

Not sure Percy Pigs are 100% appropriate for this one Seagulls. grin

SeagullsStopItNow Mon 18-Jun-18 20:22:47

Oh so sorry! Yeah maybe not grin

stationtostation Mon 18-Jun-18 20:23:40

You can get sour dinosaurs from Sainsbury’s which are made by Trolli.
They are vegan and great 😀

MakeLemonade Mon 18-Jun-18 20:24:30

M&S do veggie Colin the caterpillars and they are delicious.

MismatchedPJs Mon 18-Jun-18 20:25:26

M&S do various veggie sweets. As well as percy pigs they have caterpillars, buttterflies etc. I'm pretty sure they are all veggie.

I think flying saucers also tend to be veggie but you'd need to check labels.

I just do veggie, that'll cover halal too.

AdaColeman Mon 18-Jun-18 20:25:37

Marks & Sparks do a whole range of vegetarian sweets, not only vegetarian Percy Pigs.

GilligansKitchenIsland Mon 18-Jun-18 20:28:19

I thought halal only pertains to meat products - isn't it to do with how the animal is killed? So any veggie sweets would fit the bill by default.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 18-Jun-18 20:29:28

There are heaps of sweets that are veggie, so presumably halal too? Just avoid jelly sweets.

So 'sugar sweets' like Love Hearts etc.

Chocolates, toffees, fudge e.g. Freddos, fudge sticks.

There are also veggie versions of marshmallows and jelly sweets but they're expensive, so why bother when there are so many mainstream sweets that are veggie?

MongerTruffle Mon 18-Jun-18 20:30:19

I thought halal only pertains to meat products - isn't it to do with how the animal is killed?
Halal simply means "permitted", so alcohol is not halal, for example, although 99% of vegetarian sweets will be halal.

Racecardriver Mon 18-Jun-18 20:32:59

Everything vegetarian will be halal. M&S do vegetarian perch pigs but if the Muslim parents are halal Muslims they aren't going to like that. Maybe just stick to chocolates.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Mon 18-Jun-18 20:33:26

chewits, chupa chups, popping candy from the pound shop.
some years I've done a single bigger bag of sweets like flying saucers or jellybeans (sainsbury's own brand are veggie).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: