Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you leave a portable air conditioner on all day?

(5 Posts)
airconquestion Mon 18-Jun-18 12:43:26

The answer's probably no isn't it?

Does anyone use a portable air conditioner and would you leave it on in the day when you were out at work?

KindergartenKop Mon 18-Jun-18 14:05:20

Don't, just switch it on when you get home. Surely it only takes 30mins to cool the room?

citychick Mon 18-Jun-18 14:10:21

No we don't because we don't need the air cool when not home.
The dehumidifier runs all day til it's full though.
We live in Asia where it's humid for most of the year so it's a necessity rather than a luxury.

airconquestion Mon 18-Jun-18 14:40:26

Thanks for replying!

We're in a new build top floor flat where it easily hits 30 degrees when it's not even that warm, drives me mad. It takes a while to cool the whole flat.

When we have it on all day it then seems to stay cooler overnight too, otherwise it heats right back up again.

I wonder if there's a way to set it on a timer to come on a few hours before we get home? But even then that's probably not safe.

citychick Mon 18-Jun-18 15:08:48

surely if you are leaving it running all day, your electricity bill is enormous?
Does your machine have a timer switch?
Ours is in the wall, large simple machine. no timer so can't help with that.
In hot weather, like now, we only use the large machine in the living room when awake.
However, DS's machine runs through the night to keep him cool and the air from his machine flows through just enough to keep us from overheating.

can you get a machine for the bedroom too? might that help?
if you're on the top floor, can you leave a window open for a breeze to blow through?

Our bedroom in our UK home gets very hot in the summer and we have our velux window open all night to keep a breeze.

Personally i don't like running machines all day when no one is home, but for us the dehumidifier is non negotiable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: