Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's something that completely blows your mind?

(299 Posts)
SneakyGremlins Mon 18-Jun-18 10:37:52

For me it's seeds. How can something SO TINY somehow become a plant thousands of times bigger than the seed? confused

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 18-Jun-18 10:41:11

That I’m here at all and she are you reading this from god knows where. That we all have hoped and dreams and whatever and once we never existed and one day will cease to exist again. That any of this world exists. Bloody amazing.

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 18-Jun-18 10:41:40

as not she

grasspigeons Mon 18-Jun-18 10:42:15

Tides

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 18-Jun-18 10:42:18

hopes ffs typo nightmares

RhythmStix Mon 18-Jun-18 10:44:26

Really great works of art - some of the masterpieces by Rubens, or Caravaggio for example. They really do blow my mind.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 18-Jun-18 10:44:46

That some humans can inflict such cruelty on an animal and then just go about their day.

PrueDent Mon 18-Jun-18 10:47:25

That the universe is. That it's bigger than we can measure, bigger than we can comprehend, and still expanding. That it must have an end, surely? But hat is beyond it?

Kattymanners Mon 18-Jun-18 10:49:22

Marrying your first cousin and knowingly accepting an increased risk of disability for your children yet the understanding is that it is a marriage blessed in heaven confused

PsammeadPaintedTheLion Mon 18-Jun-18 10:49:30

Radio. Someone says something. The said something goes into a machine. The something then flies through the air in all the directions. The something come into my house, or car, finds my radio (even though that radio might be traveling down the motorway) , goes through my radio, and comes out again and it's exactly the same noises as that someone made, who is miles away, but I can hear it at almost exactly the same time as they said it. And it's all in the right order, tone and tempo. And those noises are going through my actual body all the time, but I can't hear them at all, they only work in my radio.

It's magic. And that's seriously old tech.

ScreenQueen Mon 18-Jun-18 10:50:16

Creation of human life. Speed of Google search. The fact that some people apparently haven't sussed that Brexit will profoundly damage this country and most likely break up the UK. I have many more smile

PlayingForKittens Mon 18-Jun-18 10:51:29

That a baby is a whole human and potential future adult. And it grows INSIDE another human, who used to be a baby!

You'd have thought being a midwife I'd have wrapped my head around that one.

BestBeforeYesterday Mon 18-Jun-18 10:53:17

That nearly everyone adapts to the society they live in. We may think we're being different, but in reality, people in one geographical area all behave very similarly. I often think so when I look at people on the tube, nearly everyone dresses the same, the differences are tiny.
On a smaller scale, the same applies to families - I'm amazed by how many people live up to their parents' expectations.

DownUdderer Mon 18-Jun-18 10:54:18

That I’m a mum.

PrettyWisdomous Mon 18-Jun-18 10:54:23

PsammeadPaintedTheLion you just blew my mind! grin

Language. I just can't imagine how language started and has developed into where we are today.

FurryDogMother Mon 18-Jun-18 10:58:06

Quantum entanglement. In fact, nearly all quantum physics. Also ants, and how they can be so organised when they're so tiny.

Freetogo Mon 18-Jun-18 11:00:16

That my DD was born looking like a perfect human with hair and eyes and a button nose, I cant believe she looked like that when inside my tummy, just a few hours/days/weeks before.

She told me 4 years later, that it was too dark in there and was bored swimming around, so she wanted to get out to meet me as she had 'chosen me to be her mummy' hmm

Also on her 5th birthday, I said "ooh this time 5 years ago, I was screaming arghhhh and giving birth to you"

She said "Tell me about it, you were doing my head in" grin

katmarie Mon 18-Jun-18 11:02:56

That I grew a baby inside me! That I found my husband on a dating app, that I was about to delete said app from my phone when I saw his profile. That I have a magic device that contains all of the knowledge we have collected as humans, in my hand, and can access that knowledge pretty much anywhere I go.

Theknacktoflying Mon 18-Jun-18 11:07:55

Awe of modern communication - back when it was all fields a two minute call every month home was ace (my folks and I talk daily on Facetime and whattsapp) and it only takes 13 hours to get to see them vs 6-8 weeks by boat ...
My granpa went from pushbikes to concorde in his lifetime ...

kocerhan3 Mon 18-Jun-18 11:20:16

That there was a moment when your parents/carer put you down and never picked you back up again

bunchofdrapes Mon 18-Jun-18 11:27:06

that the brain is better at knowing other things than knowing itself.

SneakyGremlins Mon 18-Jun-18 11:45:51

The brain NAMED itself.

therockinggazelle Mon 18-Jun-18 11:52:06

The vastness of the oceans. It's bloody terrifying

jimijack Mon 18-Jun-18 11:55:00

That one moment you/someone is here, the next gone, suddenly, never to speak another word, never to breath another breath. And that the whole world carries on, the morning comes and people continue with normal life.

That my babies actually came from me. That they were with me all my life waiting to come to me.

PrettyWisdomous Mon 18-Jun-18 12:00:38

That there was a moment when your parents/carer put you down and never picked you back up again

Aw that makes me feel a bit sad!

Sneaky, tell me more about the brain naming itself??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: