Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Chicken pox in vaccinated kid?

(15 Posts)
Sapien Sun 17-Jun-18 23:28:19

Has anyone got a child who has had chicken pox even though they had the vaccine?

I think my 4 year old might have it, as her skin has developed what we first thought were bites but a few more marks appeared each day. We've taken her to 2 pharmacists neither of which thought it looked like chicken pox, but does it look the same as normal if they've been vaccinated?

One thought it might be bites, the other thought that was unlikely but didn't actually know what it might be.

I'll take her to the docs in the morning as she has just woken up very distressed and not able to verbalize any particular problem, but after some ibuprofen she's sleeping peacefully again. But worried about taking her into a crowded doctors surgery if it doe turn out to be chicken pox.

Solasum Sun 17-Jun-18 23:32:31

My vaccinated DS has had chicken pox twice, both times with just a handful of spots, which to be honest I thought were a viral rash until ex-nurse nursery teacher pointed it out blush. He was completely as usual both times, no temperature, moods,
and no scarring. If your DD feels ill I’d give your GP a call in the morning to ask their advice. Once you know what you are looking at, chicken pox spots are pretty distinctive.

Wincher Sun 17-Jun-18 23:32:34

My son was diagnosed with (infected) CP by a GP despite having been vaccinated. I felt awful as we had just been waiting for 40 minutes in the waiting room with a newborn baby there. However I have my doubts- he is very prone to viral rashes and this just looked like a particularly bad one of those. He was also sent home from nursery recently because they were convinced he had chicken pox, but again, I think it was just a viral rash. Either that or he is one of those people who doesn't get immune to it!

Do let the GP surgery know in advance and they might be able to let you wait somewhere private.

Importantly - don't give ibuprofen if you suspect chicken pox. It can lead to complications

Solasum Sun 17-Jun-18 23:33:34

With DS, at first the spot sites were just red, but did go on to get the fluid filled heads (though super tiny)

Wincher Sun 17-Jun-18 23:33:42

Of course chicken pox is itself a viral rash!

Wincher Sun 17-Jun-18 23:34:32

Oh yes - one thing that made me think it wasn't chicken pox is neither time were the spots itchy.

Sapien Sun 17-Jun-18 23:36:25

Oh that's good to know about ibroprofen. Won't give her anymore.

Both of mine have had loads of viral rashes after one little thing or another, but somehow this seems a bit different. It's just the 2 different pharmacists being fairly sure it wasn't the pox has thrown me.

They probably know better than me!

Sapien Sun 17-Jun-18 23:37:40

That's it too. The spots aren't itchy which made the chemist think it less likely.

Thanks for posting so late at night, it's very reasurring. :-)

DocTrouble Mon 18-Jun-18 05:42:45

Yes, not itchy had 7 spots no other symptoms. Had to go to the doctor for something else and he immediately that's the start of chicken pox (not knowing she'd been vaccinated. )

Phosphorus Mon 18-Jun-18 05:49:54

If vaccinated children have chicken pox, they tend to have a mild dose.

One of my unvaccinated children didn't find the spots itchy at all though, and were fine apart from looking spotty.

Longdistance Mon 18-Jun-18 06:15:02

Yes. One of my dds got vaccinated in Oz. I couldn’t remember which one, but bothered got CP very mildly.

hazeyjane Mon 18-Jun-18 06:26:20

Yes, ds had chicken pox despite being vaccinated. Only 8 spots, started out looking like bites, but then looked more chicken pox like. Not itchy either, ds did have a sore throat as well, but not very ill.

Important to quarantine her away from others as you would if it were a normal dose of pox, so warn Drs if you feel you need to take her.

PrueDent Mon 18-Jun-18 07:31:00

Could it be shingles? The chickenpox virus stays dormant in the body, then for some unknown reason may flare up again as a slightly different version, as shingles. Would this be possible with the chicken pox vaccination? Are they vaccinated with a dose of the virus?

Shingles is similar to chicken pox but tends not to cover the entire body, just an area of it. It also tends not to itch but can feel sore to touch.

Perhaps, as shingles tends to affect older people, it wasn't considered by the pharmacists?

Kidssendingmenuts Mon 18-Jun-18 07:35:40

Firstly if it is chicken pox DO NOT give ibroprofen. This can make it worse and cause infection. So until you've seen the doctor I'd just give normal paracetamol. But yes you can still get a mild case of it even if you e had the Vaccine. It's a small chance but you can still get it x

WhiteLily83 Mon 18-Jun-18 07:38:56

Did your child have 2 doses? I think within a relativity short period of time you need to have 2 doses to be immune. Also immunity does wane (possibly over 10 years) so child will require a booster at some point

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: