Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

U. S. Child migrants: separated from families.

(47 Posts)
Jammycustard Sun 17-Jun-18 22:06:05

Has anyone seen much about this? I hadn’t until DH told me just now. It’s barbaric.

Jammycustard Sun 17-Jun-18 22:06:13

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44503318

megletthesecond Sun 17-Jun-18 22:09:56

I've been trying to keep up with it on Twitter. I'm not yet up to speed on the legislation that has triggered it though.
It does look awful tbh.

Jammycustard Sun 17-Jun-18 22:10:31

I’m finding it difficult to find out more about.

coolwalking Sun 17-Jun-18 22:20:03

What would your solution be? Entering a country illegally means risking arrest and detention.
Obviously it's trying to deter would be illegal immigrants but those who are still risking it are suffering the consequences. There is a new bill apparently for families to be be detained together. This is a better solution but it's still a huge expense for the American taxpayer.

Jammycustard Sun 17-Jun-18 22:48:23

I don’t have a solution to the U. S. Immigration issue, but I can’t condone children being removed from their families.

coolwalking Sun 17-Jun-18 22:56:13

When parents commit a crime, children are often placed with authorities if, like in this situation, there is no one to care for them.
It's not a immigration issue - it's illegally entering a country.
It is very harsh on the innocent children. Parents shouldn't put them in this situation.

lljkk Sun 17-Jun-18 22:58:15

It's not sustainable... shock to the system. Melania T. has said something interesting about it.

FarFrom Sun 17-Jun-18 22:59:29

coolwalking - their children may be more likely to survive this way. unfair world.

lljkk Sun 17-Jun-18 23:02:21

as upset as the illegal parents are... most are saying they would have come anyway knowing this would happen. That's how bad parts of central America are. I wonder if the Trumpistas will grasp that, these refugees are desperate enough to pay this price.

noblegiraffe Sun 17-Jun-18 23:03:55

It’s fucked up beyond all reason and I cannot see why anyone would try to defend this.

Even worse, the US government is losing ‘unaccompanied’ children to child traffickers and cannot be trusted to look after them.

Childrenofthesun Sun 17-Jun-18 23:04:51

My friend in New York has been posting petitions about this on social media - she rarely posts anything so I think there is a lot of strong feeling against it, at least in some circles. It's aim is to act as a deterrent apparently. From one of the world's most advanced democracies, I think it's abhorrent. The culture of dehumanising migrants is vile.

halffullofwhat Sun 17-Jun-18 23:05:44

But cool walking this is an indiscriminate policy which is also taking children away from those who are legally seeking asylum. Criminals also go through due process when they are arrested and convicted.

This is also beside the point - it is inhumane. Trump is using poor innocent children as bargaining chips.. How low do you need to be to think that is s reasonable thing to do?
There are parents being deported and not being reunited with their children.
It is barbaric and a shameful stain on the US.

lljkk Sun 17-Jun-18 23:07:31

Chump saying he'll only pull this policy after he gets funding for his wall.

Grasslands Sun 17-Jun-18 23:13:28

i disagree with migrants traipsing about and moving where they so choose without going through the proper channels.
i disagree with the barriers as some countries seem very inflexible.
but if you choose to enter a country illegally i think it's sensible to expect you will be detained (in the usa without your minor children).

Jimdandy Sun 17-Jun-18 23:14:08

I agree with @coolwalking

noblegiraffe Sun 17-Jun-18 23:57:51

We will remove your children from you and potentially hand them over to child traffickers is not a deterrent that a civilised nation should be making use of.

Semster Mon 18-Jun-18 00:17:01

What would your solution be? Entering a country illegally means risking arrest and detention

I would suggest going back to the way that the Obama administration dealt with illegal immigrants under the exact same legislation. Stop prosecuting them as criminals. Treat is as a misdemeanor, meaning they do not have to be separated from their children. Deport those who are not claiming asylum. Put asylum seekers through the asylum process with their children.

Semster Mon 18-Jun-18 00:18:54

I've been trying to keep up with it on Twitter. I'm not yet up to speed on the legislation that has triggered it though.

There's no new legislation that has triggered it - the legislation has been in place since Bush was in power.

The change is in how Trump's policies choose to interpret the legislation.

Semster Mon 18-Jun-18 00:22:33

Can I also point out that a huge number of Americans are horrified by this new approach, and there have been demonstrations throughout the country. Even many Republicans are against it.

Kursk Mon 18-Jun-18 00:23:16

As a former Brit in the US, this issue isn’t really mentioned outside of liberal states.

The current system doesn’t work. There needs to be improvements in how illigal immigrants are handled and removed.

coolwalking Mon 18-Jun-18 00:23:25

@Semster so you reckon anyone should be able turn up in the US and try to gain entry? And they'll happy waste money deporting you without prosecuting you. Asylum is very rarely granted.
Maybe the US should stop it's aid money to Mexico if this policy was reintroduced.

MrsFinkelstein Mon 18-Jun-18 00:29:48

The majority of families this is happening to ARE trying enter legally. They are presenting at recognised border crossings and requesting asylum. They should be housed together while their asylum claim is dealt with. This is barbaric, and racist.
I bet if a blonde hair, blue eyed European family presented at the US border requesting asylum their children wouldn't be taken from them.
These families are being criminalised for legally seeking asylum.

Semster Mon 18-Jun-18 00:32:20

Semster so you reckon anyone should be able turn up in the US and try to gain entry? And they'll happy waste money deporting you without prosecuting you. Asylum is very rarely granted.

As a tax-paying American I would rather those children are kept with their parents.

coolwalking Mon 18-Jun-18 00:40:43

@Semster fair enough. Do you think it is a futile effort of these people to try to gain entry given asylum approvals are so low?
I live in a country with no borders so every immigrant must pay and prove their worth to the country. Asylum applications are processed off shore and we take a quota every year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: