Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do we get rid of ants?

(15 Posts)
LockedOutOfMN Sun 17-Jun-18 21:24:39

We've had ants in our kitchen for the past 2 weeks when we found about 7 or 8 ants in the corner by the washing machine. We cleaned from top to bottom (and didn't find anymore). Every day, however, we find 1 or 2 more ants, in various different corners. Our kitchen is very small, and modern, so there's literally nowhere for the ants to hide (or crumbs to collect).We cleaned again this morning from top to toe, but I've just found 3 more ants.

How do we get rid of them for good? We haven't used repellent spray yet; we bought a thing that looks like a tin of shoe polish with a hole in which is meant to attract the ants inside where it traps them in a kind of sticky sponge (don't think it works very well as it doesn't have any ants in...)

Please give me your tips before I demand to DH that we pack up and move post haste!

flopsyrabbit1 Sun 17-Jun-18 21:28:38

have you got air bricks that their coming through,i always squirt some powder and no problems since

Livingthedream12345 Sun 17-Jun-18 21:31:35

Put a pile of sugar outside. Once they have a supply of food they no longer come in looking for it.

ObiJuanKenobi Sun 17-Jun-18 21:32:19

Ive has this fairly recently and followed several of the tips from here

What to do about ants with toddlers in the house?http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3257959-what-to-do-about-ants-with-toddlers-in-the-house

I did lots at once so not sure which one was the right one but they were gone within 3 days

tattychicken Sun 17-Jun-18 21:33:31

I've got that tin of shoe polish thing and it worked very well. With mine they go in and take whatever's inside back to the nest and it kills them all. It took a few days to have an effect but haven't seen an ant since.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 17-Jun-18 21:39:06

Thanks everyone! We don't have airbricks and we don't have outside (unless we put the sugar in the communal hallway).

We will try the bicab and icing sugar tomorrow, I think. (Don't have any icing sugar in right now). Then work through the other suggestions on ObiJuanKenobi 's list - thank you.

SweetieP1e Sun 17-Jun-18 21:41:23

Have you worked out how they're getting in? We get them coming in from the back garden. We have an ant pen which I bought off Amazon (I'm a bit dubious but it may be having some effect) however I have great success with icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda. The sugar attracts them, they eat it along with the bicarb which kills them. I set up little bait pots using the little plastic washing liquid tubs (Persil ones are really stable and can be cut down so they're shortergrin).

Imchlibob Sun 17-Jun-18 21:44:43

Dealing with individual ants will never work. Each ant doesn't have much of a lifespan anyway. Your issue is the nest and the Queen. Ants probably long dead now have left trails leading from the nest to your kitchen when say "this way for food" and new generations of ants can follow those trails no matter what - even if there is no food to be found. They will still follow the trail then wander around randomly until they find something.

Go hunting outdoors to find the pathway where ants are following the trail to your kitchen.

Depending how close the nest is, you might be able to just disrupt the scent trail. Underarm deodorant can help.

But really the best thing to use is nippon.

It doesn't kill the ants immediately - it's a lovely sugary sauce that the workers will take back home to the Queen and THEN it starts acting.

Flisspaps Sun 17-Jun-18 21:47:23

YY to Nippon Gel. It's cheap, but works like witchcraft. We have/had a nest under our patio for several years, with lines of ants parading into our kitchen and living room. A little squirt of the gel means we don't see a live ants indoors anymore!

HollowTalk Sun 17-Jun-18 21:48:48

This is what you need.

Put one inside each room that's affected and put one outside - we just put one outside my mum's back door as we couldn't see how the ants were coming into the house. Within a day the problem had gone. They sell them in B&Q if you don't want to use Amazon.

userxx Sun 17-Jun-18 21:54:27

@HollowTalk yep, that's exactly what you need. Works a treat.

HollowTalk Sun 17-Jun-18 21:57:58

My mum's kitchen is spotless but she had ants all over the counter and in the cupboards - everywhere. We just couldn't figure out how they were getting in, so just had to put those traps down in a corner and outside the back door and it was enough to get rid of them even in the top cupboards. God knows how they were getting in!

LockedOutOfMN Sun 17-Jun-18 23:25:46

HollowTalk That's what we've had down for two weeks and I'd say the problem's got worse during that time. Maybe these ants are resistant?

We don't have any access to the outside (other than windows), our front door leads into the communal corridor and then down two flights of stairs and through a hallway and two more doors to get outside (then down another flight of stairs to street level). Our windows are all covered with mosquito nets. The kitchen is far from the windows and door - they seem to be coming out of a skirting board. Could they be coming from the neighbour's flat (that wall is a party wall) ? The walls seem pretty thick.

userxx Mon 18-Jun-18 08:29:42

Ants can definitely come through skirting boards.

sadie9 Mon 18-Jun-18 09:20:16

The AntStop things will work. They have worked for me loads of times. They don't get stuck inside it on a sponge. They go in and take some of the stuff back to the nest with them. Get a couple more and put them down where you see the ants coming and going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: