Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The most middle-class first world problem ever

(123 Posts)
Churrolicious Thu 14-Jun-18 19:55:11

Today I treated my DS to breakfast out after a run round the supermarket. I'm trying to be vaguely healthy, so chose 'smashed avocado on toast'. What I got was an abomination. I get irrationally cross if food doesn't come as described (I daren't tell you the rage I feel if I order roast pork because it says it comes with crackling, but then it doesn't... I know, I'm a lunatic).

So I found myself furiously Whatsapping my DH (with jabby fingers and everything): My smashed avocado on toast is fucking guacamole from a jar AT BEST.

I did thankfully have a moment of self-awareness before I hit send (probably for the best or he'd be mocking me for months) but I can't help thinking I have basically blundered across the most-middle class first world problem ever.

But is it though? Give me yours, and make me feel less alone.

[Lighthearted. Ish. I was a bit grumpy though until I stole a bit of DS' buttery toast ]

Pebblespony Thu 14-Jun-18 19:56:49

No quails' eggs in Tesco when I was looking. Peak notions according to my brother.

MeanTangerine Thu 14-Jun-18 19:57:49

YANBU. At all. I hope you slated them on TripAdvisor.

CraicMammy Thu 14-Jun-18 19:58:36

Try finding a quince or fruitless di bric pastry in Northern Ireland in January, nightmare!

Nan0second Thu 14-Jun-18 19:59:25

The new halloumi that DH bought is not as tasty as the old version...
#realworldproblems (?!)

CraicMammy Thu 14-Jun-18 19:59:31

Feuille de brick!

iPhones! Who’d have them?! wink

Ohlellykelly Thu 14-Jun-18 20:00:11

How middle class is a 50p avocado? Why are they always supposedly middle class on here?

AmazingGrace16 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:02:04

Was it Sainsbury's?

suckonthatmaureen Thu 14-Jun-18 20:02:33

I was in a rage today because my computer mouse at work is very noisy. Especially when you scroll down, it drives me mad. I work for a cash strapped local authority, so I can't really request a new one just because its squeaky.

Churrolicious Fri 15-Jun-18 08:52:55

@Tangerine I'm not sure the Tesco cafe is on Tripadvisor. If I'd thought about it yesterday in a rage I'd totally have looked though!

@Nan0Second I can't relate here - for me all halloumi is squeaky cheese hell. I love all cheese but that!

@OhLellyKelly Feels pretty middle class to me - although maybe it's just because I didn't eat them as a child. They're a new development and feel quite posh.

@Maureen A squeaky mouse would drive me mad... Is there another office with someone who isn't in much you could sneak in and swap with? (Does this make me a terrible person, probably! Just don't make it someone who sits too close or you won't get the benefit!).

anotherangel2 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:55:48

Class is not about money. Class division is based on education, employment type and values.

KirstenRaymonde Fri 15-Jun-18 08:56:20

I’ve been trying all the halloumis and the best one is actually Aldi’s.

StealthPolarBear Fri 15-Jun-18 08:57:57

Lol at your squeaky mouse smile

anotherangel2 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:58:02

OP this reminds me of when an Aldi opened close to my sister’s house. My sister always ships at Aldi but she used to travel to one further away in deprives area. She was fuming that the new local Aldi had ran out of pressco and advacado and thought they should have had a better understanding of the demographic of the area.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 15-Jun-18 08:59:04

KirstenRaymonde Aldi’s definitely the best. Sainsbury’s is really quite bland.

user1499173618 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:00:46

I’m not sure that going out to breakfast after a run round the supermarket is a middle class first world situation.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 15-Jun-18 09:06:35

Class division is based on education, employment type and values

Plenty of people would disagree. Based on those values, I'm as middle class as they come (degree educated with professional qualifications, likes reading, the outdoors and Radio 4, don't like 'stuff' or showy possessions) but I'm also a miner's daughter who's quite happy to sit in the front garden of my (owned) council house, drinking lager from a can (quietly though).

Never understood why food such as avocados, hummus and anything that's not beige and chips is seen as middle class in the UK, whereas everywhere else, it's just 'food' that everyone eats.

But you're not the only person disappointed with Sainsbury's avocado on toast OP.

And anyway, as my reusable cup doesn't fit under the coffee machine for my free Waitrose coffee, on the scale of 'middle class, first world problems', you know nothing smile.

ShoeJunkie Fri 15-Jun-18 09:12:59

Barbara I also thought my new Contigo travel mug (as recommended on mn grin) didn't fit under the machine in Waitrose until someone showed me that the nozzle thing can slide up and down.
First world crisis averted!

user1499173618 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:13:13

Eating out in a chain restaurant or somewhere where the food is not freshly prepared on the premises is not “middle class”. Shopping in supermarkets is not “middle class”.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 15-Jun-18 09:17:35

My M&S eclair leaked on me yesterday. Bastard, I wanted another day out of that shirt. Organic cotton is such a twat to dry.

FishFingerInjury Fri 15-Jun-18 09:31:39

Where do middle class people shop then @user1499173618?

user1499173618 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:35:33

The point is not where MC people shop but that shopping in supermarkets is not the preserve of the middle classes.

A “middle class problem” is a problem only encountered by the highly privileged.

mamaslatts Fri 15-Jun-18 09:37:12

Went to an Italian restaurant and ordered 'Mozarella, basil and tomato' starter. Got watery, hard tomato, slice of processed mozzarella and dried basil sprinkled on. You couldn't even be bothered to get a bit of fresh basil? This was 4 years ago, still enrages me.

user1499173618 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:38:28

There are so many terrible restaurants serving horrible food...

Zaphodsotherhead Fri 15-Jun-18 10:29:51

I've lost my Neil's Yard catalogue. Only just got it, and can't find it anywhere. Does that count?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: