Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does your high street have lots of empty shops? York definitely does.

(83 Posts)
wherearealltheshops Thu 14-Jun-18 17:04:25

I live in York. It's so depressing. I was walking down Coney Street at the weekend and I reckon a quarter of the shops were empty. So many names have gone. This is supposed to be a tourist town and also a town with a lot of money.

I don't know what other high streets are like - but it's so depressing. Is it rents? Business rates?

escape Thu 14-Jun-18 17:09:33

Business rates, economy in general and a seismic shift in buying habits never seen before.

peartreeishappy Thu 14-Jun-18 17:17:29

Yes, ours is. They’re doing lots of regeneration on the other side of the river which is mainly going to be eateries and a cinema. We already have lots of eateries of various kinds. I think that’s what people do now.......eat........all the time.

Shops are closing because of internet shopping. The shops can’t compete anymore.

IJustHadToNameChange Thu 14-Jun-18 17:21:11

Last September, Wolverhampton had almost 20% of all shops closed down.

It's got worse since.

A supplier to retail shopfitters has also closed down around Dudley too.

wherearealltheshops Thu 14-Jun-18 17:21:46

We already have lots of eateries of various kinds. I think that’s what people do now.......eat........all the time

We have plenty of restaurants and bars. And lots of independent shops.

But our 'main' High Street is rapidly declining. Bishopthorpe Road is thriving OTOH

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/29/high-street-closed-betting-shops-york-back-from-dead

Mousefunky Thu 14-Jun-18 17:22:16

I live in Leeds which isn’t so bad but Bradford next door is really suffering. They opened a new shopping centre a couple of years ago which was much needed but as a result, their whole high street collapsed and basically nothing except banks and charity shops remain. It’s sad but indicative of the times. People can’t be arsed going shopping anymore when online shopping is so readily available.

ImGlidingHere Thu 14-Jun-18 17:22:57

I was in York last week. Haven't been there for about 10 years, but had a fabulous time. Yes there were some empty shops, but that is the same in all towns now and didn't at all detract from the enjoyment I had in visiting.

On the other hand, the abusive beggars who were often sitting outside the city cinema, did have an impact on how I felt and did stop me from going to the cinema in the evening (lone elderly female here), because I didn't want to risk passing them alone. And before Mumsnet police rise up and accuse me of having no empathy for those less fortunate than myself, I have every sympathy with those who are homeless and/or poor - but I don't think that gives them the right to shout abuse and bad language to passers by

wherearealltheshops Thu 14-Jun-18 17:25:08

There's definitely been a rise in homeless people and begging in York.

Mousefunky Thu 14-Jun-18 17:25:31

There are beggars up and down the country, sadly. Another thing indicative of the times. I have seen them walking up to cars begging as if we are in a third world country. Really sad.

ALongHardWinter Thu 14-Jun-18 17:27:35

In my nearest high street (Hounslow) shops frequently become empty,but they are usually taken over quite quickly by one of these 'Everything under a fiver' type shops. There have been a few exceptions. When the Woolworths closed down about 10 years ago,it was empty for ages. It must have been 2 years before an 'Everything a pound or two' shops set up. That lasted about 18 months,then was empty again for 2 years. Finally,it became a 'Next' and and an 'H and M'. I was gutted when the Marks and Spencer's closed down nearly 3 years ago. Again,that was empty for ages before it finally became a 'Peacock's' and a 'Savers'. Why it closed,I still don't really know,although someone told me it was the extortionate rent. I've noticed it seems to be the large premises like M and S and Woolworths that stay vacant for ages. The smaller places are usually occupied within a matter of weeks,if not days.

ImGlidingHere Thu 14-Jun-18 17:28:01

It is very sad Mousefunky I felt so sorry for (some) of them

OverTheHedgeHammy Thu 14-Jun-18 17:28:08

Our high street isn't empty, it's full of charity shops, barbers, hair dressers and beauty salons. Oh and a few coffee shops. Utterly ridiculous.

SluttyButty Thu 14-Jun-18 17:28:48

Banks, chemists and independant shops have gone from ours, they can't compete with the internet and ridiculous rents and business rates.

MistyMeena Thu 14-Jun-18 17:28:58

Yes our high st (SE) has lost BHS, M&S, ELC,Mothercare, Claire's, Game all in the past couple of years. Either replaced with bargain/Poundland style shops or empty.

How Clinton Cards and WHSmith survive I don't know.

SimonBridges Thu 14-Jun-18 17:30:11

I think it is the same across the country. The loss of a few big names, especially BHS, put a dent in even the most prosperous town centre.

What annoys me is that every town is like this yet to read the local news you would think that every other high street was full and busy.

ClashCityRocker Thu 14-Jun-18 17:31:33

When I was a kid, walking down coney Street used to be a nightmare as it was so busy. You couldn't really conceive of empty shopfronts down there.... It was prime retail territory.

Having said that, I could probably count the number of times I've gone shopping in the town centre in the last twelve months on one hand, so I'm part of the problem.

I think as well as the usual issues of rent and rates, some of the vacant units (BHS for eg) are just too large to be of interest to anyone other than the big names... Many of whom are also struggling, or have stores already at the out of town shopping centres.

Internet shopping of course has also played a part.

I don't know whats going to happen. Surely it can't sustain many more bars and restaurants?

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Thu 14-Jun-18 17:31:43

I visit York frequently as in laws live there and do you not think it’s the out of town shopping places that have effected the city centre?

I know my mil, sil and many friends who live in york rarely go into the city centre to shop, preferring the shopping parks on the edge of town. They say the city centre is for tourists!

SluttyButty Thu 14-Jun-18 17:32:19

Misty our WH Smith's survives because they've put the post office in there and that gets some trade in just from people walking through to the back where the P.O. is situated.

Maverick66 Thu 14-Jun-18 17:33:06

Shops in my town have been replaced by charity shops. Polish food shops. Eastern European food shops and Portuguese food shops.

Roomba Thu 14-Jun-18 17:43:30

I've noticed loads more homeless people, rough sleepers and tent dwellers in Lancaster. Very striking compared to even a couple of years ago. Even DS, who is in his own little world half the time, asked me if I'd noticed there were loads more homeless people in town.
There were a lot of empty shops, but there seemed to be a slight upturn a couple of years ago? The new shops were all - - money laundering fronts-- vape shops or niche craft shops - 90% of which closed again after their initial cut price lease expired. Same with a lot of the bars and restaurants that have opened. They obviously get a cheap rate for six months from the council, but just can't afford to stay open once that's ended.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 14-Jun-18 18:07:02

Our high street is historic and can’t cope with lots of cars. Parking is shit, so people tend to go to the out of town retail park. Also, the rents and rates are absolutely insane. My friend wanted to open a cafe but there was absolutely no negotiating with the agents on the amount of rent they wanted. A year later, the place is still empty.

SimonBridges Thu 14-Jun-18 18:16:58

Don’t complain about the Polish shops.
Get in them and buy stuff. Lovely chocolate, cakes and biscuits.

siwel123 Thu 14-Jun-18 18:49:11

I think big shopping centres and online shopping has a lot to do with it.
But then you can't blame business to go where the money is can you?

britnay Thu 14-Jun-18 18:52:05

We live about 20 mins from York and visit a couple of times a month. Parking is getting incredibly expensive, and is probably the thing that puts us off going to the city centre.

GhostsToMonsoon Thu 14-Jun-18 18:55:00

My local high street has many empty units as well. It's not like no-one in the town has any money, but people seem to prefer to go to the retail park, shop online or take the train to a bigger town with many more shops. Some people also complain about the traffic congestion getting into town and the cost of parking. Maybe high streets should be converted into housing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: