Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fatal alcohol poisoning case in news

(90 Posts)
NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 09:48:38

Just been reading about a poor woman who died of acute alcohol poisoning on holiday and am quite shocked by how it’s apparantly possible to die from what doesn’t seem like an excessive amount of booze.

The woman’s husband said she had a few small beers, couple of small glasses of wine and a few Irish coffees over the course of a day which was estimated at 10-15 units. Her husband said she didn’t appear drunk, wasn’t unsteady on her feet. She had an alcohol count of 4grams of alcohol per litre of blood according to toxicology reports.

A bottle of wine is 10.5 units. I don’t often drink but when I do I could probably drink a bottle of wine over an evening. I mean I’d be quite drunk but I wouldn’t have thought I was in danger of dying. When I was a student I could easily have drunk 5 pints a night which is 15 units.

Scary.

kaytee87 Thu 14-Jun-18 09:50:13

Link?
Did she have any underlying conditions?

GreatDuckCookery Thu 14-Jun-18 09:52:57

The amount she drank doesn't add up to alcohol poisoning surely?

NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 09:53:58

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/fuerteventura-canary-islands-manchester-holiday-14782560

I guess maybe her husband has underestimated how much she drank?

Racecardriver Thu 14-Jun-18 09:54:10

You have to remember that alcohol doesn't leave the body ommediately. She seems like a big drinker. It's likely that there was already plenty of alcohol in her system from the day before.

BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 14-Jun-18 09:56:34

Here’s must have been something else going on. I thought blood alcohol levels was measured in Milligrams. 4 grams must be a huge amount confused

NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 09:58:48

Found this table and it says that it’s possible for a 55kg person to get 400mg of alcohol in their blood (which is 4g?) by ten drinks.

DaffoDeffo Thu 14-Jun-18 09:59:47

says in the article that she wasn't a heavy drinker usually though racecardriver so that seems unlikely and the coroner said it was all down to the drinking on the day

does sound like they may have underestimated the strength of the drinks they had

how very sad

nottinghillgrey Thu 14-Jun-18 10:00:08

4000mg is 4g not 400

NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 10:00:55

And it does say that at 400mg death is possible, so yes ten drinks and death is a risk. I mean I know ten drinks is a lot and while I would think there’s a risk someone could choke on their vomit, etc I didn’t realise it would actually be high enough just for your body to shut down.

NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 10:02:03

Oh, gosh if it’s 4000mg how many drinks would that be then?

nottinghillgrey Thu 14-Jun-18 10:02:28

It's not 400g it's 4000

nottinghillgrey Thu 14-Jun-18 10:03:10

Sorry X post

Wolfiefan Thu 14-Jun-18 10:03:49

15 units is an excessive consumption for a single day. Of course it is.
You could easily drink a bottle of wine in a sitting? Doesn't mean you should.
I think far too many people seriously underestimate the potential danger of alcohol and juts how much they really drink.
This is a very sad case and I hope it makes people seriously think about the potential effects of alcohol.

MrsJayy Thu 14-Jun-18 10:04:07

A few small beers small glasses of wine and 4 shots of whiskey written down doesn't look a huge amount really maybe he under estimated what she was drinking to make it look better tragic though.

BarbaraOcumbungles Thu 14-Jun-18 10:04:09

It’s an awful lot more drinks than a couple of beers, a couple of glasses of wine and a few Irish coffees that’s for sure.

NotARegularPenguin Thu 14-Jun-18 10:05:32

Her husband has said he hopes the case raises awareness of the dangers involved.

kaytee87 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:05:59

Sad but I'm guessing that's not all she had to drink. Her husband mentioning them perhaps misjudging measures she was given suggests she was drinking spirits as well.
Still id assume it was quite well for a healthy person to die of alcohol poisoning.

LARLARLAND Thu 14-Jun-18 10:07:33

Absolutely tragic. Poor woman and her family.

CookPassBabtridge Thu 14-Jun-18 10:11:40

It is a shock as I know lots of people who drink that daily on holiday, and have all day benders at other times and I didn't think it was an immediate risk of death.
But this is a stark reminder that it is a poison.. maybe heat played a part, maybe her liver wasn't working at full capacity.

onelostsoulswimminginafishbowl Thu 14-Jun-18 10:14:02

Do they use measurements in Spain for alcohol? I know a lot of countries don't. It could be that each Irish coffee had the equivalent of 3-4 shots of whiskey if they were free pouring it. That adds up to quite a significant amount.

kaytee87 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:15:07

Well= rare

peony2325 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:15:51

Poor woman and family. In my experience in Spain and Italy bar staff don't often measure amounts of spirits and you can end up with a triple or even quadruple shot where here you would be expecting a single. She might not have tasted the strength of the whiskey in a Irish coffee.

adaline Thu 14-Jun-18 10:17:19

So many people don't realise how dangerous alcohol can be. You see it on threads here all the time - people drinking a bottle of wine a night and claiming it's normal, or drinking everyday and not seeing any kind of problem with it.

Last time I went abroad, we stayed in an adults-only all-inclusive place in Lanzarote. Alcohol was free and included in our rate - so there was beer and wine on tap from 7am, a bar that served cocktails open from 11, when you sat down for lunch and dinner, you got offered sangria and more wine. By the pool, you could go and help yourself to whatever alcohol you wanted.

I can see how easy it is to just sit by the pool, relax, and keep the drinks flowing without realising how much you're actually taking in. That, plus heat, plus not necessarily eating a huge amount, plus the sun, can easily be a recipe for disaster.

MaudlinMews Thu 14-Jun-18 10:19:21

If she didn't seem drunk after that amount of alcohol then I'd assume she had a high tolerance and was a problem drinker and had perhaps been hiding the true extent of her drinking habit which could mean that she had underlying issues which contributed to her death. Poor woman.

I'd be completely drunk after just a couple of glasses of wine as I don't drink normally so that amount of alcohol in an evening is very dangerous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: