Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Jobs that don't require you to work Christmas/new year time

(16 Posts)
LetTheChickenSeeTheTikka Thu 14-Jun-18 01:46:54

Currently a carer meaning I work Christmas Boxing Day and New Years.

I'm wanting a job that has those holidays off (due to having DC now), I only have Health and Social Care qualifications.

Ideas?

PrimeraVez Thu 14-Jun-18 02:43:03

In general, I would guess that unless you are working in a 9-5, Monday-Friday corporate setting, it’s going to be pretty tough to find a job that will give you all three of the ‘main’ Christmas days off.

That said, when I’ve worked in retail and hospitality in the past, we were never expected to work all of those days. So for example, when I worked in a bar, you either worked Boxing Day or New Year’s Day, never both.

isthissummer Thu 14-Jun-18 02:49:41

Social service offices close for public holidays leaving the emergency team operating.
I worked for a children's charity that shut for Xmas period as no families wanted appointments on those few days.

NapQueen Thu 14-Jun-18 02:55:34

Social housing. Shuts down for a week minimum over christmas. Mon to fri plus flexi.

AltheaorDonna Thu 14-Jun-18 03:00:02

I work in an office in Manufacturing. We shut down for Xmas and the New Year, its fab. I previously worked in a University which used to shut for two weeks over Xmas, and we had 33 days annual leave to accommodate this. I miss that job!

Kingsclerelass Thu 14-Jun-18 03:00:37

Marketing exec. My last serious effort of each year is to organise the staff Xmas party and make sure everyone survives. After that, consolidate the marketing budget for the end of year and head off on the 22 or 23rd.
You could take a CIM qualification via your local college. Pay is generally better too. Good opportunity for creativity, but less caring & a lot of screen work.

greensnail Thu 14-Jun-18 03:17:15

You could do care work through an agency so you can just choose not to be available for shifts over christmas. Or look for a care job in a setting that does not open over christmas, for example a day centre, outpatient department etc.

LetTheChickenSeeTheTikka Thu 14-Jun-18 03:24:12

I can't do agency work as DC needs to go to nursery same days every week. Agency work are different shifts and days all the time.

All other jobs above I've looked at.. need experience. I only have experience in care work. How can you get experience when you need experience to get the bloody job!

LetTheChickenSeeTheTikka Thu 14-Jun-18 03:25:17

Also there are no day centre/outpatients job near me

isthissummer Thu 14-Jun-18 03:31:26

I worked in residential care and then worked part time/ studied full time to get my social work qualification, this is quite a common route in. Also look at social work assistant roles as they can offer in house routes to qualification.

technojoe Thu 14-Jun-18 06:01:44

How about a school dinner lady? and you get the rest of the holidays off every year

technojoe Thu 14-Jun-18 06:03:27

Teaching assistant in school or college?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 14-Jun-18 06:04:27

In a library.

BitchQueen90 Thu 14-Jun-18 06:37:26

I work in sales. Nobody buys anything at that time of year so I get 2 weeks off over Christmas and New year.

It's self employed though so we aren't paid for it and sales isn't an easy job, you have to have the knack for it.

gamerwidow Thu 14-Jun-18 06:43:13

Most nhs admin staff don’t work on any public holidays so you’d get Xmas day, Boxing Day and New Years Day off but you’d have to work the days in between.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Thu 14-Jun-18 06:44:40

Try for a job in a day centre as they're often shut Xmas, new year and bank holidays but need people with your qualifications.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: