Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are there tannins in lemon and ginger tea?

(3 Posts)
trickydickie Wed 13-Jun-18 23:56:09

On iron tablets 3 times a day so started drinking lemon and ginger tea instead of normal tea/coffee when I am taking my tablets.

I have tried googling but not much information. From what I have gathered the darker the tea the more tannins it contains. My lemon and ginger tea is a light brown colour which makes me wonder if it does contain tannins.

Could anyone give advice? Thanks.

BeginningToWobble Thu 14-Jun-18 05:43:24

Although citrus fruits do not themselves contain tannins, orange-colored juices often contain food dyes with tannins. Apple juice, grape juices and berry juices are all high in tannins. Sometimes tannins are even added to juices and ciders to create a more astringent feel to the taste. according to wiki. It also says it occurs in the stems and roots of plants which ginger is so there might be some. But nowhere near as much as in a proper tea (rather than an infusion, which is what you're drinking) would be my guess.

trickydickie Thu 14-Jun-18 18:10:57

Thanks Beginning. Think I will just stick to boiled water an hour either side of the tablets (ended up with a blood transfusion back in March) so really want to give the iron tablets the best chance of working.

Since March I had not been drinking anything with tannins in it 2 hours either side of the tablets (at 3 times a day). Going my holidays soon and wanted to relax it a bit. So, will relax it to one hour before and one hour after (which is what I have recently read is all that is needed).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: