Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What counts as 'urgent dental care'?

(19 Posts)
EnidButton Wed 13-Jun-18 22:19:33

I have severe toothache. (I'd say a level 8?). Feels like my jaw is being crushed. I know I have an infection in it and have an appointment next week for an extraction.

Have taken max ibuprofen, two paracetamol and applied oragel max strength all around an hour ago. None of it has done anything except my tongue is a bit numb.

There's an emergency 24/7 nhs dentist number for urgent care but unsure if that's toothache even if very bad. I mean I won't die of it or anything.

So does anyone know (dentists or people who've used it out of hours) if this is worth calling them? Please.

EnidButton Wed 13-Jun-18 22:19:49

Thank you btw. flowers

DunnoWhy Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:54

If I have severe dental pain I would definitely do anything that can be done, to relieve the pain. Especially if there is an abscess which needs to be drained, it definitely definitely needs urgent attention.
All these painkillers didn't even touch it, why suffer any more? Most importantly the infection needs antibiotics asap so the quicker you get seen, the quicker the pain goes away.
I would go to 24/7 dentist.
I have done so in the past.
Good luck.

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:29:04

when i had similar i had to phone my dentist to sought it out,next day appointment

the emergency dentist was for people that were not registered with a NHS one

so i would phone yours 1st thing tomorrow and they should fit you in,you will need antibiotics to clear infection before extraction i think

ShirazSavedMySanity Wed 13-Jun-18 22:33:10

In these circumstances I’d get seen.
I was seen for similar at the on call dentist within the walk in centre on Boxing Day. It cost £50 as I had my own dentist but to be honest, I’d have paid whatever they wanted, I just needed the pain to be gone.

EnidButton Wed 13-Jun-18 22:33:22

I'm not registered with nhs due to local closures but I have seen a private dentist yesterday who said it's infected and I'm booked in for an extraction. I can call them in the morning and I will definitely if I don't ring anyone tonight. It's just getting through tonight that's seeming hard at the moment.

Thank you both. I think I might have to call. Hope they don't think ffs.

EnidButton Wed 13-Jun-18 22:33:50

Sorry, thank you all 3. flowers cross posted.

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:37:15

did the dentist perscribe you antibiotics to clear the infection

good luck

EnidButton Wed 13-Jun-18 22:40:19

No, he said he would if it really hurt but it didn't at the time. Typical.

I called the number and it just says to call 111.

TheHobbitMum Wed 13-Jun-18 22:42:11

Definitely call, if you are in this much pain it would be warranted. Have you started antibiotics yet? Your dentist should've prescribed them yesterday as I'm sure the infection needs to be treated before an extraction (thats what I've always been told when I've had abscesses & needed extractions).
I hope you get seen soon, tooth pain is awful flowers

PointlessUsername Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:19

If you call 111 they will make you an appointment for out of hours dentist.

I have done this before when i had a dry socket and a bad infection in the gum. I was in agony. I was only charged £20 too.

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:54

oh typical,you really need some by the sounds,have you any at home by chance

i always had some just in case

warm salt water if not

i really feel for you,tooth infection is the pits

AndIWouldWalk500Yards Wed 13-Jun-18 22:51:16

Yes this is it. My dentist described 'urgent care' as when you reach the stage of pain where the painkillers no longer touch it and you are seriously thinking about getting a pair of pliers out of the toolbox to pull the damn thing out youself.

And I'm on a private dental plan! Dread to think how anyone who isn't would cope.

EnidButton Thu 14-Jun-18 00:12:42

Thank you all for the good advice. I applied more oragel (orajel?) and took one more ibuprofen (got advice on that first), applied an ice pack and miracle, it's actually eased off enough that I can wait until the morning.

I did call 111 and they were very kind and helpful. There's a separate line thing for dental issues. Talked it through and as it's now gone down from 'hunting for the pliers' to 'clutching my cheek but manageable', I'm going to wait until morning and call first thing for an emergency app with the dentist I saw today. I'll ask about antibiotics again, perhaps I misunderstood. He was very good.

Thank you all again, I'll know what to do if it happens again. Fingers crossed the damn thing will be out soon. 😬 So relieved it's eased off.

NT53NJT Thu 14-Jun-18 00:17:41

I'd say an urgent dental appointment would be necessary if you're in unbearable pain that you can't cope with for long or if your tooth has been damaged, when my fillings fall out I always get emergency same day appointments to get new ones and when I had to have one extracted because I was in so much pain I got one same day

flopsyrabbit1 Thu 14-Jun-18 09:03:51

good luck,let us know how it goes

Mrsmorton Thu 14-Jun-18 09:09:19

When I was an OOO dentist we saw bleeding, swelling, and pain that couldn't be controlled with painkillers.

That said the number of people who "don't like to take painkillers" was remarkable.

Hope you get seen today OP.

Fluffyears Thu 14-Jun-18 09:11:50

Keepnthr ice on it d d fon’t Use heat as it can draw the infection into the facial tissues (my dentist is always very clear about this) swish with hot (as you can stand) salt water every 30 minutes. It’s awful my mother had to see out of hours one weekend as she had toothache that started on a Friday. The hospital dentist said ‘you can save the tooth if you wait and see your own dentist or I can pull it and the pain will reduce considerably. She just said ‘get the pliers’.

x2boys Thu 14-Jun-18 09:12:11

when i have called NHS direct with similar they normally arrange a same day appointment with an emergency dentist, if you are anywhere near Manchester there is a dental hospital that has an"A andE" service that see people on a first come first served basis ,good luck abscesses can be agony sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: