Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A question, inspired by the thread about chubby kids with unaware parents

(11 Posts)
KatnissMellark Wed 13-Jun-18 21:59:25

When do you need to start worrying? DS is fifteen months and an absolute tubster. Probably due to shoot up shortly I'd say, it tends to go in cycles- omg he's tubby-ooh he's grown-omg he's getting tubby again ad infinitem...he's got a VERY healthy appetite. 90% of what he eats is homemade, healthy, balanced with the odd treat thrown in, he just likes a lot of it. I swear if you could translate his toddler distance to adult miles he'd be running a marathon every day so I try not to restrict him too much.

KatnissMellark Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:40

Anyone?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:23:01

Go and get him weighed, talk to your health visitor

Namethatchange Wed 13-Jun-18 22:23:54

Sounds perfectly normal to me, my dd was huge as a baby by around 2.5 when she was running about she'd lost all her baby fat and now is now a very fit 9 year old.

KatnissMellark Wed 13-Jun-18 22:26:10

I've never had a useful conversation with a health visitor unfortunately Stealth

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Jun-18 22:27:26

I agree with stealth your hv will weigh your baby and plot his centile. My ds was a bit chubby up to when he started walking but after a year had lost it, he's 4 now and tall and slim.

GreenTulips Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:37

I agree, DD was the same. DD eats loads more but has always been skinny. There has to be something in their genetic makeup.

catkind Wed 13-Jun-18 22:41:37

I think that's a little young to worry. They're often chubby at that age and thin out now they're running about more. Keep portion sizes appropriate so he has time to digest a bit and see if he's actually still hungry and asks for more, or just eating it because it's in front of him.

But worth weighing and measuring from time to time to keep an eye on the various percentiles so you know where he is and particularly any trends. Depends what you mean by tubby too. If he's so tubby it's inhibiting his movement it might be a problem, but it doesn't sound like that's the case?

rebelrosie12 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:03

Mine was the fattest baby, but ate good food and still does. He's a beanpole at 4!

KatnissMellark Wed 13-Jun-18 22:45:06

If he's so tubby it's inhibiting his movement hahahahahahhahahahaaghahahahagahaha, I'd be less knackered if he was grin

LinoleumBlownapart Wed 13-Jun-18 22:53:23

three of mine were so fat they were spherical, one looked like I'd inflated him with a bicycle pump. Now he's a lean and healthy 6ft 1 14 year old. I was more worried about the skinny one.

I think toddlers are supposed to be chubbier, but are you feeding him all the time? I know obese children where I live and I live in a small town in the developing world, the only food they eat is mostly home grown/locally produced food. Homemade and balanced is not the issue, it's the quantity that is causing the weight gain, not the type of food.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: