Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

When did your DC start to walk

(75 Posts)
ilovejammiedogers Wed 13-Jun-18 21:51:11

DD is almost 14 months and isn't walking yet. I'm not particularly worried as she is getting there slowly. She didn't crawl properly till almost 10 months. However, getting a lot of comments and often feel they are implying I'm doing something wrong. Starting to doubt myself could it be something I'm not doing? I've always thought babies just do it when they are ready. She is definitely getting there she pulls herself up along the couch and walks along it. She won't stand up on her own. I try to pull her up but the minute I let go she falls down and often she won't bear her weight when I pull her up.
Also got told it's because I don't put her in shoes enough. Is there any truth in that? I thought shoes might make it harder for her.

fantasmasgoria1 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:53:11

Both at ten months albeit only from chair to chair!

Tryingtogetitright Wed 13-Jun-18 21:54:32

My little boy didn't walk til 14 months - they all get there in their own time - try not to worry! I didn't buy him shoes until he could walk....

Tryingtogetitright Wed 13-Jun-18 21:55:07

I thought barefoot was best for learning to walk?

moreismore Wed 13-Jun-18 21:55:26

About 2 days before first birthday. But know several who were more round 18months. Def don’t put in shoes until confident walking outside and they are actually needed. Much better to let muscles develop than have shoes do the job.

Your instincts are right, trust them smile

spiderlight Wed 13-Jun-18 21:56:33

Mine took three tiny steps at 13 months, thought 'There - I've done that now' and went back to high-speed crawling for another month or so. He didn't take proper big official-looking steps until nearly 15 months. He is now a big strapping creature of 11 who competes at his sport at national level so it doesn't seem to have held him back!

Is she a good crawler now? A lot of very good crawlers don't seem to see the need for what must, to them, seem like a slower, wobblier and less efficient way of getting around.

00100001 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:56:35

She will walk, 14 months is not a concern. She’ll do it soon enoughsmile

If she isn’t walking by 18 months, see the doctor maybe

Oddcat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:56:47

My DD was 10 months , but they're all different and will walk when they're good and ready.smile

Alexindisguise Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:15

14 and a half months. It felt late at the time as my nephew the same age walked at 10 months! But within a few weeks they were both at completely the same level.

00100001 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:47

And don’t put her in shoes until she is walking

Andrewofgg Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:32

16 months. Some friends babysat while we at BIL’s wedding - so I can be precise as to date - and when we got home they said “You said he wasn’t walking, he’s been running around the house”.

WeeM Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:50

17 months and never crawled first either!

knockknockknock Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:57

Walked at 9 months and 2 days. Crawled at 6 months and 2 days. As everyone says they're all different- my friends son didn't walk until 17 months - no problem just basically couldn't be bothered.

Neweternal Wed 13-Jun-18 22:02:49

First birthday I remember being anxious he had not started walking and was spending my holiday walking up and down holding his hands and then letting go. I did the same with potty training at two. Wish I had never listened to boasting parents and thought my son wasn't teaching his milestones. He is now exceptionally bright and these other parents are now quiet about their bright children. Don't be silly like me and put pressure on yourself and the child.

AlpacaLypse Wed 13-Jun-18 22:04:37

I'm the eldest of 5 and the chief mum and aunt of the next generation. We varied between 8 months and 15 months. Don't panic. They find the way that's best for them to get most quickly to whatever thing they want to get to. One day it's cruising, another it's crawling, yet another it's ooshing along backwards, another day it's walking... they usually discover very quickly that the walking method is far more efficient and gets you to the thing you want really fast, so worth practising.

Battenburg1978 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:04:45

14 months 11 days here and now at 17 months she thunders around the house! They all do things in their own time smile

massi71 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:04:46

9 months for one.
18 months for the other.

Figmentofimagination Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:11

Mine is 13 months and still isn't crawling or walking. Just bum shuffling, and always in a clockwise direction, never anti clockwise grin

DramaAlpaca Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:56

They are all different & will walk when they are ready. They don't need shoes until they are walking properly outdoors.

Mine were 10, 11 & 12 months but there is a wide range of normal.

donutsarelife Wed 13-Jun-18 22:06:42

One was 14 months, one was 11 months and the last was just over 8 months. The first was speaking in sentences before she walked the other 2 were not talking before they were over 2. Everyone is different. Vive le difference!

missmouse101 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:08:32

16 months and 18 months!

mangomama91 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:09:42

My eldest was 10 months

Youngest was 14 months - she cruised and walked with support for ages, but wouldn't/ couldn't stand alone and then one day did stand and not long after just went for it.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it now.
And yes as previous poster had said, barefoot is best for them to walk smile

AndCallMeNancy Wed 13-Jun-18 22:10:44

A paediatrician told me anything between 12-24 months is normal. My DD didn’t crawl, didn’t really move til about 13 months when she started to bum shuffle. I loved it, she was the easiest baby ever! She started to weight- bear at 18 months and finally walked at 22 months. She just wasn’t bothered. She is now an active 4 year old who loves playing football and who I take on 5-6 mile walks in the moors, so she has great stamina. Ignore the comments and do not worry.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Wed 13-Jun-18 22:12:07

Crawled at 10 months, straight away pulled herself up on the sofa to try and get the cat. Failed, obvs. Walked at 18 months.

neversleepagain Wed 13-Jun-18 22:13:12

Twin 1 at 16 months and twin 2 at 14 months. They only crawled at 12 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: