Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to ask someone to de-nit their child's hair?

(19 Posts)
DragonScales Wed 13-Jun-18 21:44:55

Dd is 9. She has a friend at school who is a lovely girl, but who always has nits.

For the last 18 months during term time dd is continually getting nits despite using nit repellent shampoo/spray, regular combing and endless stronger chemical nit treatments... now I know the source of the infestation is dds friend. Her hair is crawling with them.

I've tried hinting and telling the mum after playdates that my dd has nits so she needs to check her dds hair, mentioning after a sleepover that I noticed a few eggs when brushing her daughter's hair in the morning) the school sends regular letters asking parents to check for nits, etc.

Today they had a playdate, dd was itching again so I just check dds hair for her - this is when her friend mentioned hat her mum never checks her hair. Dd said that I check her every week to which her friend replied 'mummy doesn't have time to do mine, she used to in year 2 but she doesn't anymore' and shrugged.

Dd is fed up of nits, I'm fed up with the nits. How do I tell this woman to denit her child(ren) consistently?

Ginmakesitallok Wed 13-Jun-18 21:47:36

Just tell her! No hinting. Just tell her "I noticed your dd is crawling with nits"

smashhits90s Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:46

Tell her.

RandomMess Wed 13-Jun-18 22:03:06

Tell the mum that untreated nits will result in her DD eventually becoming anaemia as well as ostracised...

I would also tell the school that they are failing in their duty of care and you will report to social services. I am assuming that the girl is permanently infested with the blighters? Because that is neglect - different to just being crap at getting rid of them properly.

The3 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:12

Have a sleepover. De nit both kids while they watch a dvd and eat popcorn. Text mum of child to say you’ve discovered an outbreak so you de-nitted both.

Ohyesiam Wed 13-Jun-18 22:09:28

What the3 said

nottinghillgrey Wed 13-Jun-18 22:16:42

I couldn't do anything but say 'your child has nits, please deal so mine doesn't get them again' followed by 'I'm afraid there will be no more play dates until it's done'

People are far too weird about this kind of thing. Just be blunt.

singadream Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:45

Tell school. Let them do it

Ellafruit Wed 13-Jun-18 22:24:58

Wonder what happened after year 2? Sounds like her mum is too stressed/preoccupied and whether she needs some support/care rather than gripes about her neglectful parenting? The3’s sleepover idea sounds great - will solve the problem for you and support the mum and daughter too.

halcyondays Wed 13-Jun-18 22:26:22

Tell school. Ours sends home if they see nits.

ProustianMadeleine Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:14

I was going to say treat the child when she's with you. The sleepover idea sounds good. And tell the mum it was from your dd and you couldn't ignore friend scratching.

If you really can't do that, you have to just say.

JustVent Wed 13-Jun-18 22:58:42

Oh dear. Time to be brutally honest!

JustVent Wed 13-Jun-18 22:59:20

Or do what I did with next doors cat and just buy the stuff yourself and treat the infestation.

Greenglassteacup Wed 13-Jun-18 23:01:17

I would ask the school to deal with this

Nooblynoo Wed 13-Jun-18 23:03:34

Tell her. Say you're not prepared to shell out on products to sort your own child when a guest is crawling with them. Ask her what the issue is with dealing with them. Boils my piss people like her.

ObiJuanKenobi Wed 13-Jun-18 23:04:15

Why have you continued play dates knowing she's crawling? I'm sure your dd wants to see her friend but I couldn't be doing with that!

Tell her or the school!!!

Sorry for you and dd it's not nice thanks

KeepServingTheDrinks Wed 13-Jun-18 23:12:21

Put your DDs hair up as well.

KeepServingTheDrinks Wed 13-Jun-18 23:12:56

'
'
'
'
'
'
<not commas>

sorry!

goingtotown Wed 13-Jun-18 23:21:01

In Germany you’re sent home from school if you have nits, & when returning to school you take a letter from the GP saying that the child has been checked & is clear of nits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: