Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

For all you strong people that gave up smoking I need your help

(23 Posts)
Mollypolly2610 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:43:08

I have now decided in my 60s to give up smoking. Maybe too little too late. I have looked online for help and saw Champix and Zyban can help. Which one did you think helped you. I can’t get gum as I have a bridge and gum has pulled it out before. I tried patches and lasted all day but couldn’t wait to rip them off after work and have a cigarette. I have no willpower........ please help.

timeistight Wed 13-Jun-18 21:51:25

You Ned to really want to give up. That's the first thing . If you really want to give up, stop. You'll have an uncomfortable three or four days, but you'll be stoped -for good. I know. I did it. Thirty eight years of smoking and I stoped dead, seven years ago, and haven't had a fag since.

Blighty0204 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:01:43

Hey Molly. I feel for you. Mind over matter i'd say. I can only say what works for me. I performed a visual exercise, i never bothered with all those nicorettes and other commercial stuff. So go buy a pack. Bring it home. Open the pack, pull one out, or more if you want to. Then crush them in your hand and throw them in the bin. I know sounds mad right. What a waste of money. But what happened with me was, i was empowering myself. I was showing my brain that i control them, they don't control me. The more i broke the cigarettes the easier it got. Didn't take many cigarettes either. One pack worked for me. Sounds funny but i'd rile myself up and be angry with the cigarettes for trying to control me. Its all psychological. So anyway i then found it easy to stop smoking. BUT.... i would start again after a year or so, because i didn't want to give up, i never did, i liked smoking, i accepted the possible consequences of smoking, i just needed to prove to myself that i am in control and i decide hence not an addict. Anyway i did eventually decide ok i don't want to smoke anymore. So i didn't and haven't looked back. Hold a cigarette in your hand, see it for what it is and declare war lol. Good luck, hope it helps.

serialtester Wed 13-Jun-18 22:04:24

Hi, vaping has really helped me. It's never ever too late to give up and if you do you will very quickly feel so much fitter!

Good luck however you choose to do it!

MonkeysandParrots Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:49

I gave up after smoking for 30 years by switching to vaping and , then, over 9 months, gradually cutting down the strength of the liquid until I was vaping 0% nicotine. Once I got there, I just stopped. That was 6 months ago and I’m so pleased I went that route as it was easy, truly.

BifsWif Wed 13-Jun-18 22:09:29

I agree, vaping was the only thing that worked for me after numerous quit attempts.

It took a few goes to find a vape and liquid I liked though, so you may need to persevere. Good luck!

ChanklyBore Wed 13-Jun-18 22:10:26

It is hard but I didn’t use anything. Just stopped. You do have to want to stop.

I found it helpful to think of it as stopping for three days (the hardest bit) Then I kept adding on a day. Then it’s distraction, distraction, distraction.

One of my friends used the jar method - empty your ashtray into one jar, fill it up with water, put the lid on and have a clean jar next to it. When you want to smoke, lift the lid of the ash jar and SNIFF. Every time you save the price of a pack, put it on the empty jar. And spend it on something you really want.

I don’t know what works (if I did I’d be a millionaire right?) but my quitting for three days plus adding one day every 24 hours has lasted over a decade now, so it’s a start.

Silvertap Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:59

Nicotine lozenges worked for me.

Good luck, it's never too late. I'm a million times healthier since giving up. Less colds etc

BonnieF Wed 13-Jun-18 22:23:06

I agree with others. You have to really, deep down, want to stop.

My experience was that once I decided to quit, there were 2 issues which I found it helpful to tackle separately :

1, Nicotine addiction. I used gum to support myself quitting and wean myself of the drug.

2, My bad habit of smoking cigarettes. This I found tougher. I removed myself as far as possible from situations in which I would want to smoke, eg pubs, restaurants, friends and colleagues who smoked. I became very anti-social. I also incentivised myself by saving the money I would have spent on cigarettes. It accumulated at an astonishing rate, and I realised that I could reward myself by using it for a proper treat. It payed for a holiday.

I quit 7 years ago and now regard smoking as disgusting.

CountersurfingPerf Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:46

Champix worked for me - made me feel a bit nauseous which helped, also willpower/ determination (which I never thought I had).

Good luck - you really won’t regret it!

Doobigetta Wed 13-Jun-18 22:30:59

That first day of pain you've been through is the worst it's ever going to get, and if you don't smoke again, you'll never have to go through that pain again.

SenoritaViva Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:54

I gave up by cutting it out slowly. So I started by choosing a particular habit (e.g. Not whilst on the phone) then added another 'not while i' activity. It worked for me. Also think that book (Alan Carr?) helped a bit.

hollieberrie Wed 13-Jun-18 22:38:29

I stopped in 2016. I did it by gradually cutting down - 12 a day down to 10 a day down to 8 then 5 then 4 etc until i was down to 1 a day. Then I had 1 every other day for a couple of days then stopped.
I treated myself to lots of take away coffees etc so I still felt like a had a comfort / treat / something just for me. I still probs drink and spend too much on coffee even now but it was small price to pay.
Good luck Op. There are lots of ways, you can do it. I also hate smoking now, I inwardly tut when I'm walking behind a smoker! blushwink

EleanorLavish Wed 13-Jun-18 22:39:32

I did the Alan Carr quit smoking course. Expensive but worth it.
Good luck OP! So freeing being ‘off the fags’.

Mollypolly2610 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:41:39

I’ve really cut down less than 10 a day I just want to finish it now. Thanks for all your help and tips will post back when I’ve done it! It’s just soooo hard blush

PoptartPoptart Wed 13-Jun-18 22:42:09

Vaping is the only thing that worked for me.
I tried EVERYTHING else, patches, gum, spray, hypnosis (twice), Alan Carr, tablets, cold turkey.
I really really wanted to give up but I just couldn’t do it. I was grumpy and miserable and it was only a matter of time before I started again.
Vaping changed that. It was easy. I haven’t once craved a cigarette in over two years. I lowered my nicotine level every couple of months and I’m now on the lowest strength.
I know some people say that vaping hasn’t been around long enough to know the full long term effects, but my doctor told me that it is about 95% better for you than smoking, plus it’s a LOT cheaper, so for now that’s good enough for me.
Good luck op.

Shylo Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:55

I’d echo what lots have said before ..... you have to really want to stop. I’d quit a few times before and gone back but when I finally did it I really wanted to and I just stopped dead out of sheer bloody mindedness

I carried my last few cigarettes around with me until the box and the fags disintegrated - for me it helped knowing I could smoke if I wanted to , rather that panicked feeling of not having a cigarette in the house at all. And in the first moth I had a lot of early nights lol, it was the easiest way to stop listening to the voice telling me I wanted a cigarette

Good luck OP

ValentineFizz Wed 13-Jun-18 22:44:42

I quit October 2013 after reading Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit book - purchased for £5 in a bookshop in town. It really helped me psychologically. I also downloaded an app to my phone to record savings/health benefits etc and that really helped to keep me motivated when I saw what I was achieving - over £10k saved to date - you can do it OP!

Namastethefuckawayfromme Wed 13-Jun-18 22:44:50

Champix was a miracle for me.

Within a week of starting it i didn't even think about smoking. It was like it reset my brain to one of someone who'd never smoked.

It's been four years and I've never once been tempted to smoke.

elephantoverthehill Wed 13-Jun-18 22:53:05

I have done it through the chewing gum, but I understand you can't use that. My Dsis used the microtabs and my DB went cold turkey. I avoided places where I could buy cigarettes also. eg pay @ the pump rather than go into the petrol station and queue for a till for a small amount of shopping rather than go to the cigarette kiosk to get through quicker. Mind you with the newish legislation that doesn't really apply but the avoidance tactics definitely help.

InternalGangsta Wed 13-Jun-18 23:09:08

Me too Eleanor. I never really wanted to stop because I enjoyed smoking but did the workshop to prove to DH that I was trying. Thought it was ok but didn't think it had worked as I left. But I've never smoked since. It's been 15 years. Amazing!

BetterEatCheese Wed 13-Jun-18 23:11:01

I read Allen Carrs Easyway - no willpower method. It's brilliant!

NorthEndGal Wed 13-Jun-18 23:12:51

I went cold turkey, but tbf, I had tried and failed a hundred times before.
The difference is this time about a week or two after quitting, I had an xray that showed shadows in my lungs.
It turned out to be Sarcoidosis, and I suddenly realized just how badly I wanted and needed to quit.
I haven't smoked a cigarette since 2012, and I has a half pack a day smoke for decades

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: