Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Going private or not

(11 Posts)
NeverTalksToStrangers Wed 13-Jun-18 21:16:08

So my ds (9) had a ct scan last month after a very bad fall. He wasn't confused or anything, but sleepy and threw up 3 times (which is a cut off for a&e re deciding to scan or not).

The

NeverTalksToStrangers Wed 13-Jun-18 21:16:55

Shit.. accidentally posted too soon. I'll do the rest now.. bare with me.

NeverTalksToStrangers Wed 13-Jun-18 21:29:33

The scan didn't show any bleeds or fractures, which was good, but they discovered a large arachnoid cyst, which he was likely born with, on the left front of his brain and I was told at the time that he would be referred to neurology because of this.

Arachnoid cysts are normally 'harmless', but can cause headaches and other issues. They can be treated (sometimes unsuccessfully) with surgery or placing shuts in the brain to drain the fluid.

My son isn't experiencing headaches etc but, knowing now what I do, I believe the cyst affects his behaviour a bit. Nothing major, but on the whole i think it has a negative effect on him. I love him dearly but I've been saying since he was a baby that he's a bit of a strange kid. He's my strange kid though. Would he be less himself without this?

Obviously they only tend to intervene when the patient is suffering badly. My worry is that his social skills worsen. I also know that they can be linked to depression (especially when located where his is).

I've had a holding letter from the hospital for his appointment and they've said the waiting lists are about 12 months long. Or I can go private for a consultation for £260. They are unlikely to do anything bar an MRI and then regular checks to make sure it hasn't grown. But the MRI will be another waiting list probably.

WWYD? If it was a test for a condition etc I would probably go private in a heartbeat.

Onceuponatimethen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:32:12

I think I would go private if I could afford it just because it’s way too long to wait flowers

yikesanotherbooboo Wed 13-Jun-18 21:37:41

If you have a lot of questions that you want answered now then make a private appointment. You can join the nhs system later . If you think you will get 'better 'care in the private sector you are unlikely to be right.
I think it is all about what urgency you feel ; cost or appointment plus mri up front or wait.

NeverTalksToStrangers Wed 13-Jun-18 21:45:31

I don't think private will get us better care. Unlike most appointments the doc won't be able to assess him as such. It's not like she can look at his brain, bar from the ct scan. I have a million questions I want answered, yes. I don't want to have to wait a year to get them. But part of me also knows I won't get full answers anyway.

We have the money, but it's still not an insignificant amount considering it's not going to fix anything.

Do i want the cyst gone? Yes. Do i want him to have brain surgery? No. sad

I had phoned the secretary of the consultants last week and was told 22 weeks for non-emergency referrals, which didn't seem just as bad. But it was the appointment line that said a year.

Dodie66 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:15:09

I would go,private. I am doing that. My GP was going to refer me to a rheumatologist but it’s a long wait, he said I can see them privately for a consultation and any further tests can be switched back to the nhs. I think it would help you to be able to see somebody and have questions answered. They GP also said I will get much more time for the consultation Than I would on the nhs

NeverTalksToStrangers Wed 13-Jun-18 22:51:28

Longer appointment would be a bonus.

I also have concerns about Ds being present for the discussions too and hearing too much though.

I'm dying to see the ct scan or at least know how big the cyst is.

I don't think I can wait a year for that.

Dodie66 Thu 14-Jun-18 15:33:23

I would go for it then. Couldn’t you take him with you and have somebody with you so that he could stay in the waiting room. You could talk to the consultant first and talk to them then they could see him afterwards

NeverTalksToStrangers Thu 14-Jun-18 22:30:18

Good plan. I've booked an appointment. Nothing until August, but I'm happy enough with that.

Dodie66 Thu 14-Jun-18 23:14:53

Brilliant. Let us know how you get on

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: