Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do we need a room thermometer?

(53 Posts)
NCPuffin Wed 13-Jun-18 21:10:54

DC1 due in September. I am determined not to get sucked in by all the marketing aimed at FTM and we're on a budget, so we're trying to avoid unnecessary expenses. We do need a nightlight, and I would like a room thermometer for my classroom until I go on leave, so I was thinking of getting a Gro Egg. Are they worth it? I'm a bit worried it'll just make me worry loads about the room temperature, and it also seems like one of those things you can do without. All ideas welcome!

HavingaPanda Wed 13-Jun-18 21:14:47

I have one. I use it to tell if baby needs a vest on at night, or in current weather, the fan on. I am what my husband calls a "nesh southerner" so don't trust my own judgement when it comes to deciding if it is warm or not!

kaytee87 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:15:39

I have one, they're not expensive and I run warm so wanted to make sure he wasn't getting too cold.

TitsalinaBumsquat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:17:08

Our tommee tippee monitor shows temperature so we didn’t need to buy a separate one. I’d say they are handy though because the advice in layers for newborns at different temps varies a lot for just a few degrees difference (if that makes any sense?) so that would be hard to guess. Worth checking your monitor if you’ve already got one

NCPuffin Wed 13-Jun-18 21:19:09

Thanks. I know they're not expensive, but it's still £15 that I could spend on truly indispensable items like bodysuits etc. Would you ever consider getting it second-hand?

NCPuffin Wed 13-Jun-18 21:19:57

Ah, didn't know that about the advice re layers. Where do you find that?

lonelylittlesoul Wed 13-Jun-18 21:20:34

I bought one but our baby monitor has one built in anyway. Useful for other areas of the house though.

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Jun-18 21:21:06

Bloody mw made us feel like shit for not having a room thermometer the day after ds was born. So we dutifully bought a gro egg and so began the 'What colour is the fucking egg??!!!!' phase of our early parenting journey. In summer when it got very hot it was bloody obviously very hot and I could have lived without the angry red egg with its silly sad face! Trust your judgement. I'm any case you get a little cardboard room thermometer free with gro bags, or at least you used to.

Tfoot75 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:22:42

A lot of monitors have temperature on so may be duplication, and night lights are a few £ or also sometimes on a monitor - though not sure why a nightlight is needed for a newborn?

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:11

We never had or even thought of a room thermometer. If the baby was cold, we put more layers on. They don't need precision, just care and attention.

SoftSheen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:29

I really liked our Gro-egg, well worth it IMO.

dontticklethetoad Wed 13-Jun-18 21:24:24

I'd get one second hand. Go for an eBay one rather than fb selling pages, at least you'll have some comeback if it's faulty.

princessbananahammock252 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:24:34

We have the gro egg 2 (have one with our monitor that always shows 3-5 degrees hotter than it actually is, so don't trust that). We use it to gauge what we should dress dd in for her naps and nights. We use the gro site for layers and gro bag tog advice: https://gro.co.uk/what-to-wear/#EN

NCPuffin Wed 13-Jun-18 21:25:08

Ha! I have read about judgey Geo Eggs before smile

I thought the night light was to avoid having to turn brighter lights on to feed etc during the night, before the child needs it. Am I wrong?blush

breastfeedingdrivingmecrazy Wed 13-Jun-18 21:25:25

Our monitor shows it, but also you get a free room thermometer when you buy a gro snug which in my mind is an essential (I have a five month old and gro snugs increased her sleep from 2.5 hours to 7.5 hours)

lonelylittlesoul Wed 13-Jun-18 21:26:20

@Tfoot75 My husband insisted on sleeping with the bedroom lamp on at the beginning in case our newborn was afraid of the dark winkwink

bawbles Wed 13-Jun-18 21:26:48

We have a period property which when we move down in had some damp problems so use this ThermoPro TP50NEW Large LCD Digital Thermo-hygrometer, Indoor Weather Thermometer Hygrometer Gauge, Monitor Temperature and Humidity Meter for Home Office Comfort, Min/Max Records www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H1R0K68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZZxiBb4GKAB6F?tag=mumsnetforum-21

It’s really good for monitoring temperature but also humidity etc so winter Mornings you can really see the difference in air quality after opening windows etc. Helped my dh understand why I’m so evangelistic about getting fresh air in even when it’s freezing.

We also got one of those dry mist steamers instead of a nightlight. It lights up but can also release vapours/eucalyptus oil when baby is snuffly. Much cheaper option that the calpol plug ins with refills and the same price as most baby night lights

HavingaPanda Wed 13-Jun-18 21:28:27

This is what I (roughly) use in terms of layers.

BorisHair Wed 13-Jun-18 21:28:55

and so began the 'What colour is the fucking egg??!!!!' phase of our early parenting journey.

This was us blush.

I still remember one very, very hot, humid night. Windows open, fan on, dc just wearing a nappy. There was nothing else we could do.

"The egg's gone bright red"
"What do you want me to do about it?"
"I don't know, just make it colder"
DH put the egg in the fridge. Sorted.

bawbles Wed 13-Jun-18 21:29:21

And I used a nightlight for night feeds/nappy changes with both dc. Couldn’t have done it in pitch dark and wouldn’t want to be getting up and putting bedroom light or bright reading lamp on

happymummy12345 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:30:31

Our video monitor had everything- two way talk back, night vision, light, music, room temperature, so we never needed one.

piggie88 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:31:25

We got a thermometer from Mothercare that can be used for the bath and for the room. One of the only things we’ve used from newborn and still use now and she’s nearly 16 months so definitely worth it.

broughts Wed 13-Jun-18 21:31:53

A nightlight was great for night feeds. We’ve never used a thermometer though, you can tell if it’s hot or cold and so what you should dress the baby in.

Yumyumpigs Wed 13-Jun-18 21:37:27

Noooooo I hate mine! Mum bought it but their room is always too hot or bloody cold. I KNOW that I can feel it I DON'T need your angry griwn glaring at me every time I go in the nursery.... bastard thing

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Jun-18 21:39:46

The gro egg isn't really that bright, not enough to read by for instance. I needed a light for nappy changes and to find my snacks and water, I used one that had a touch base so we weren't always trying to find a switch- it's one that the first touch switches it on then the next touches brighten it. By the time I had my second I use my tablet for light and reading.

I found that the gro egg guidelines left my baby too cold. Ds was born in the winter and we were in bed with pjs on, thick duvet, hot water bottle and top blanket. We were so terrified of over heating him ds had a vest and babygrow on with a cellular blanket gently draped over him. No wonder the poor little sod wouldn't sleep!

lonely we went one further and left the radio in all night! Fortunately there was an Ashes series on down under so we had Test Match Special on all night. We'd read somewhere it helped babies sleep. It didn't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: