Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Hyper and now Hypo-thyroid - and GP says we 'just wait and see'. Is this normal?

(1 Post)
Scaramoose Wed 13-Jun-18 21:08:35

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in April last year, and as I had no symptoms at all was hesitant about taking carbimazole. I eventually caved in and took it for two months, starting in November. In that two months I put on a stone and a half, weight which had taken me close on two and a half years to lose so it wasn't down to the mild overactive thyroid. I then stopped the carbimazole and later tests showed that my thyroid levels were normal.

Last week a check up thyroid test showed I am now 'mildly underactive', despite coming off the drugs months ago. The GP suggested we 'wait and see', despite my concerns about weight (I am struggling to lose the weight I put on in the first place, something that is not helped by being a Type 1 diabetic) and test again in another 'few months.'

Is this normal practice? I am really upset about the weight side of things and feel as if (I am not weighing myself, but clothes feel tight) waiting could make that side of things worse. I did say this to the GP but she seemed to dismiss it as me being vain. I walk between 55 and 70 miles a week, yes really, and don't drink much. My diet is also reasonably healthy and balanced. I am 43 (no idea if that is relevant but thought I'd throw it in!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: