Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A really boring question about ironing

(12 Posts)
Londonlady2015 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:05:59

I mean wow, what a bore but I can’t iron. I just can’t do it. I don’t know whether it’s bexause I have ridiculous clothes with rifles and goodness knows what else, or that I don’t iron them straight after the wash, but the creases remain.

Any tips on ironing?! I don’t have a budget to get someone else to do it....

NapQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:07:26

My three great tips on ironing are:
1. Dont iron.
2. Dont buy clothes that need ironing.
3. Dont accept invites to places that require the "posh" clothes at the back if the wardrobe that need pressing to look posh.

LanguidLobster Wed 13-Jun-18 21:09:24

Rifles grin

I can't do it either. The only things I'll bother with are napkins/tablecloths.

My mother used to enjoy it <shudders>

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Jun-18 21:14:43

Get a good ironing board cover, one that fits properly and doesn't ruckle up. Hang shirts, trousers etc straight from the dryer/line - don't screw them up into a basket. Always use steam. What type of clothes are you struggling with?

AnnieAnoniMouser Wed 13-Jun-18 21:17:06

<scratches rust off ironing skills>

It’s better to iron things as soon as possible so they only have ‘washing’ creases, not ‘squashed in ironing basket’ creases.

Use a clean spray bottle with water in to dampen items (works better than the spray jet from an iron)

Iron clothes mostly inside out

Use a very light piece of fabric (like a very old thin cotton tea towel or a hankie) on delicate items.

It might pay you to find someone who does ironing well/for a living to give you a lesson. Or see if you can find tutorials on YouTube.

NapQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:18:31

I took dd to toddlers once and they had a plastic iron and board. She picked up the iron, looked at it a moment, then jabbered on to it like a phone. No idea what it did.

Londonlady2015 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:20:00

Hahaha rifles! My clothes definitely aren’t that weird...

Hmmm my iron is newish but the board cover does look knackered to be fair.

Battle the item that resulted in me starting this thread was a folk style blouse with stupid giant sleeves

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 21:21:44

Where do you get the clothes with rifles?

There is a method to ironing. You need a decent iron, an ironing board with a well fitting cover. They need not be expensive. Useful extras are decent music or good tv programme and a large drink. A damp muslin square can be useful too,

Ruffles, lots of panels, lycra in shirts and so on are a PITA. Avoid unless you love the garment.

GrandmistressGlitch Wed 13-Jun-18 21:24:26

Any recommendations of a good cheap board and cover?

InDubiousBattle Wed 13-Jun-18 21:26:57

You could always leave it on the hanger and steam it with the iron whilst hung up?

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 21:29:58

Yes to the spray in a bottle (unless you like descaling irons) and iron as soon as clothes are dry.
Iron shirts in the same order. I do reverse collar, collar, yoke, front right, back, front left, left cuff & sleeve, right cuff & sleeve. Hang immediately.
Use the correct heat for the fabric and iron special finishes inside out.

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 21:32:26

You usually buy the board and cover together. I bought a new cover and didn't get used to it and got a charity shop mint condition one for £1 that is perfect.
I prefer a solid board to a mesh one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: