Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

2yo birthday present ideas

(15 Posts)
MaverickSnoopy Wed 13-Jun-18 20:44:00

DD2 is about to turn 2 and I'm stuck for ideas. Humble budget of between £70-100 (needs to include everything) and don't mind buying second hand.

Trouble is I think we already have everything and I'm stuck for ideas. This is what we already have....

Duplo (loads)
Duplo train tracks (loads)
Happyland (loads)
Toy kitchen and loads of food etc
Balance bike
Bike/ride on thing
So many garden toys (no more space)
Pram and dolls
Loads of books
Pop up tent
Lots of soft toys and random other bits like toy phone, pull along things etc

So far I'm thinking....

Fairy outfit (she loves her older sisters)
Playdough

That's all I've got. I was thinking about a little tikes car but DH pointed out the lack of space. I need some kind of wow present and a few smaller bits. All ideas are most welcome????

YoucancallmeVal Wed 13-Jun-18 21:06:30

She doesnt need a wow present, 2yos are happy with the simplest things. For mine she got a car seat for her baby, which she spent loads of time in herself hmm and a big box that I filled with balloons, in addition to some books and a few bits eg couple of bath toys and a new bucket and spade for garden digging purposes.

RedPanda25 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:12:42

One of the best presents my 2 year old got for his birthday was the gruffalo jigsaw puzzle book. It's great and after a few months, he can now mostly do them himself.

emsmum79 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:13:12

I made my DD a box of craft things (stickers, paper, sequins, paint etc) and got her an easel. She loved it.
What about cutters and tools for play-doh?

skankingpiglet Wed 13-Jun-18 21:43:38

A (robust) dolls house? 4yo DD1 has one and DD2 (2yo next week) loves playing with it.
Alternatively annual membership to a local attraction.
Has she outgrown any of the garden/inside toys? Can any be cleared/sold to make way for newer and more challenging equipment?

DD2 will be getting a play shop/puppet theatre (mint con £35 Facebook marketplace bargain!), a few books, some additional Ikea train set bits, and a set of cute hair clips. I have my second old childhood dolls house in the loft (the result of having one at each parent's house), but I'm saving it for her 3rd birthday once she's a little more gentle!

GreenMeerkat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:49:00

How about some outdoor toys like a slide/seesaw/trampoline? Have a look on Tesco direct. They are closing their online store so loads of stuff on clearance and really good bargains to be had!

GreenMeerkat Wed 13-Jun-18 21:49:46

Oh sorry, I just saw loads of garden toys in your list haha!
Mat I'll, try Tesco direct anyway. Loads of toys on clearance

moreismore Wed 13-Jun-18 21:52:18

2-6 piece jigsaws and our 2 yo most played with toy 4 months later is one of those playdoh sets where you push the stuff through something to make shapes (in our case it comes out of a whale spout in ‘worms’)

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:02

Scooter, books, jigsaw, pj's.
Melissa and doug toys are fab.

MaverickSnoopy Thu 14-Jun-18 06:59:10

Thanks, some good ideas here. Will sit down to tonight and start making a list of ideas.

I don't want to sell anything because we have dd3 on her way soon, but I will be packing some outgrown things soon which will make a bit of space. We have quite a small house so it's tricky, I do like the dollhouse idea though.

I know she doesn't need a "wow" present, I just really meant that I don't want her to end up with just a few random smaller bits. Birthdays and Christmas are really the only times they get anything new so I like to try and make the most of it and get something that will get a lot of use out of it it and be of great pleasure to them. So when I say wow, I just mean more than a few books/couple of small toys.

Actually got lots of Playdough toys already but it wouldn't hurt to have a few more. She does seem to be really into Playdough at the moment which is why I thought it was a good bet.

skankingpiglet Thu 14-Jun-18 14:06:03

This might be a good dolls house if space is tight (and you have an Ikea nearby):
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/small-storage/flisat-dolls-house-wall-shelf-art-50290785/
They also sell little miniature sets of some of their classic furniture to put in it. All of the range is fairly chunky, simple, and robust. Perfect for a 2yo and as they grow out of dolls houses it can be used as shelving instead.

I may have a small Ikea addiction

Rainatnight Thu 14-Jun-18 14:10:52

We just got DD (2) a scooter for her birthday. It was around £70. Her grandma got her some playmobil but we literally didn't get her anything else. She's really happy with the scooter and wouldn't have noticed anything else anyway.

MaverickSnoopy Fri 15-Jun-18 06:16:29

Love the dolls house skankingpiglet - genius idea. Will definitely add it to the list of things to consider.

Rainatnight - do 2yo do particularly well on scooters? My eldest has 0 coordination/balance and didn't manage a scooter until about 4yo. I'm picturing my 2yo holding onto it and just looking at it. It's not something I'd thought of I suppose.....

WilliamLilliam Fri 15-Jun-18 09:00:09

My 2 year old got one for her birthday and uses it perfectly

skankingpiglet Fri 15-Jun-18 18:39:08

Same as William here. DCs got a scooter at Christmas (DD2 was 18mo) and has been using it fairly well for the last couple of months. We started with the seat attachment, but it was barely used before she was confidently whizzing around on DD1's. Thankfully it was second hand so we didn't waste much on it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: