Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just how unsafe is it for baby to sleep on his front?

(12 Posts)
AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Wed 13-Jun-18 20:07:37

He's 4 weeks old and absolutely hates being laid on his back in his crib. You get a few minutes at most out of him before he starts screaming. I'm absolutely shattered and the other night out of sheer desperation I placed him on his front and he slept 5 hours straight. The next night I did it again and he slept 10pm-5.30am shock

He's a noisy sleeper, very grunty, and he's in a cosleeper crib so he's only a few inches away from me. So he grunts and snores straight into my ear pretty much so I can hear him easily.

Should I persevere wth trying to get him to sleep on his back or should we invest in an Angelcare movement sensor and let him sleep on his front?

foxyfemke Wed 13-Jun-18 20:14:49

Mine has always been a stomach sleeper, from day dot. We never had an Angelcare or similar and was also in his own room from when he was a month old (he'd been in hospital before then and just slept much better in his own room), so I will probably be slayed for this. The advice over here about sleeping on the back seems a lot less pressing over here (not in the UK, but in Europe). We always had the monitor on and he was fine. He's now 3 and always has been a decent sleeper.

I realise I'm very relaxed about these things, but do whatever helps them sleep.

TeaAndNoSympathy Wed 13-Jun-18 20:21:14

Study after study has shown that tummy sleeping increases the likelihood of SIDS. You will probably get lots of posters saying that they did tummy sleeping and all was fine. But anecdotes don’t mean anything really whereas the data is clear. I would persist with back sleeping. Have you tried warming the sheets with a hot water bottle, making sure the sheets smell like you etc?

willnotbetamed Wed 13-Jun-18 20:42:30

One of my three boys was a stomach sleeper. He couldn't sleep on his back at all - he woke up again after about 10 minutes, like clockwork. We weighed up the pros and cons and decided that we all needed sleep to be safe. It's true that the risk of cot death is higher, but if you take out the other (much more serious) risk factors, such as parents who smoke, overheated rooms, substance abuse, not breastfeeding, etc. then the risk overall is still very small. I think you have to make your own decision - of course you should minimise all possible risks, but also just be aware that you can't eliminate risk completely - pollution levels and summer temperatures etc. are difficult to control, so you have to do the best you can. Good luck!

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Wed 13-Jun-18 20:44:30

I know they have Tea sad I'm just so tired and he clearly hates sleeping flat on his back, yet he doesn't mind napping in his Poddle Pod during the day, he's more curled up in that. Although he's almost grown out of it now so he'll have to lose that soon 😕

Wellhellojonsnow Wed 13-Jun-18 20:55:36

I did it with DC2 from about 2 weeks. He did have quite a strong neck though so I knew he had the strength to turn his head and not suffocate. He slept a dream on his tummy & we never looked back.

ColintheCrow Wed 13-Jun-18 21:01:34

Until you go in and realise your baby isn't breathing, you don't realise how anecdote doesn't equate data.

All of my other children sleep on their backs until they can roll of their own accord.

user1471462428 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:07:50

You can get a breathable purflo nest from amazon and sell your poddle pod?? I know how desperate sleep deprivation makes you!!

NapQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:13:26

I think the concern with stomach sleeping is that it promotes heavier sleeping which whilst great for sleep, means their reflexes if they stop breathing dont work as well.

Tbh bedsharing is also listed as something that should be avoided re SIDS but MNers are staunchly pro bedsharing so seems a bit hypocritical to actively choose one method but demonise another.

letstryagainaaahhhh Wed 13-Jun-18 21:41:56

Can you get it a breathing monitor to go under the mattress? We had one that came with our monitor. I had a very noisy distressed sleeper, and it turned out she had severe silent reflux. I was advised to put her on her front to sleep, as back sleeping made the reflux worse. She was slightly older when I did this, and we always have put the motion sensor on; but it did make a big difference.

Winegumaddict Wed 13-Jun-18 21:48:07

DD2 is a tummy sleeper. It's been her preferred position from day 1 but I always put her down on her back until she could roll over. No we didn't get much sleep but sadly that was life. I know it's horrible but it really is for a short time. I did however lay her on my chest for her daytime naps so she got some sleep. It was tricky stuck to the sofa with DC1 to entertain. Now she's over 1 so can go anywhere she likes she always sleeps on her tummy.

AnnieAnoniMouser Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:58

Colin 🌷💕

Nope. No chance. Part of the reason for it is because they don’t sleep as deeply. They need to keep waking up so they don’t forget to breathe.

Sleep deprivation is a bitch, it’s used as a fiom of torture for a reason...but there are worse things, such as finding your child not breathing.

Normal monitors or ‘hearing’ them sleep don’t make any difference, you don’t hear a lack of breath ☹️

Take turns with your partner and accept any help offered. It’s bloody tough, but it’ll soon pass.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: