Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's it like living on a canal boat?

(4 Posts)
bassackwards Wed 13-Jun-18 19:55:51

The Grand Union Canal runs through my town and there are lots of characterful boats moored along the banks and lots drifting through from time to time. I always wonder what it would be like to live on a canal boat, but I'm too shy to ask the folks I see there. Can anyone enlighten me? Is it a blissfully simple way to live, or full of inconveniences and maintenance expenses? What kind of people live on the canals? Just curious really!

expatinscotland Wed 13-Jun-18 19:58:20

Freezing, most of the year.

Brahumbug Wed 13-Jun-18 22:55:14

Actually it isn't freezing. In summer it tends to get to warm, but easy to keep warm and cozy in winter if you have a good stove. You need to be disciplined over the amount of junk you have as storage is limited. All good fun and it is easy to move home if you wish. There are significant running costs to bear in mind, boat license. Insurance, boat safety certificate etc. There tends to be a good camaraderie on the canals with other boaters willing to help and give advice.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 13-Jun-18 22:57:12

I thought it seemed a really romantic idea until I saw/smelt the toilet tank (or whatever it's called) being emptied.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: