Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you interview new recruits? Help me!

(7 Posts)
WorriedInterviewer Wed 13-Jun-18 19:30:45

I've namechanged as I've talked about fairly identifying stuff under my usual username.

Recently been promoted at work, I don't start my new role until early August so wasn't expecting to be interviewing so soon but boss has sprung on me that someone is coming in tomorrow! It's an admin/secretary role. I've never interviewed anyone in my life and I'm bloody bricking it! Does anyone have any tips? How to start, how to break the ice, what pertinent questions to ask, how not to look like a gibbering incompetent melon?! Very grateful for any advice smile

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 13-Jun-18 20:12:24

Remember, they're always much more nervous than you are wink

I always like scenario questions - what would you do if... [situation that's likely to happen in the role]

Why do they want the job

Tell me what you know about the company

What relevant experience do you have

Will you have anyone interviewing with you? I always find that I spot things they didn't and vice versa

WhyNotDuckie Wed 13-Jun-18 20:13:54

Take notes, so that you can remember what's been said.

YBR Wed 13-Jun-18 20:16:55

Make sure there is somebody with you, decide who is making notes and who is asking the questions.

If you have an HR department get them involved as they will know the proper procedures. Someone probably needs to check they have the right to work in the the UK and they should have been asked to bring a Passport or whatever with them.

Most interviews have a spread of technical questions, behaviour and attitude questions.

Bluntness100 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:21:05

God don't do the scenario questions, they are shit for the interviewee and unless you know what you're doing tell you fuck all.

What I do is write my list of questions in advance. Then I keep it on thr table and refer to it.

Start of with hello, who you are, your role in the company.
Ask if they had a good journey in.
Ask them to walk you through their cv and educational qualifications.
Ask questions on their responsibilities in each role as they do so. Why they left, what they enjoyed about it
Ask why they want the job
Ask why they think they will be a good fit
Ask if they are able to do all of have any training requirements
Ask about Any hobbies they may have and why they like them,
Explain the role to them
Explain the decision making criteria, ie when you will make a decision and when you will notify them
Ask them if they have any questions for you
Thank them for their time and walk them out.
If you're paying travel expenses remember to sort it before they go.

WorriedInterviewer Wed 13-Jun-18 21:11:34

Brilliant tips, thanks all. I won't be on my own but that's no consolation, just means there's more of an audience! Written all your advice down - thank you.

BorisHair Wed 13-Jun-18 21:22:03

Think about a few things that you would consider essential to the role and once you've done an introduction and a summary of their CV/experience you can ask related questions.

So, if it's important to be organised, to be able to meet deadlines and to provide admin services to a number f different people you could ask:

Tell me about a time when you had to juggle a number of different things. What did you do? What happened?

Tell me about a time when you had to work to a strict deadline. Or tell me about a time when you missed a deadline. What happened? How did you put it right? What would you differently next time?

Give me an example of when you had to work with a difficult person? What did you do? Tell me about a time when you had to manage work for a number of people.

Essentially you're asking for real life examples rather than just hypothetical questions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: